Sign in with
Sign up | Sign in
Your question

£400-£500 Gaming PC

Last response: in Systems
Share
December 1, 2012 6:14:04 PM

A friend of mine has finally decided to stop playing console as much (Hopefully he stops all together) and put his hand in his wallet for a PC.

For his budget, i believe that the most effective way to go will be AMD based.

I have made a quick build/parts list for him and i thought i would post it here to see if we can get the price down any more without sacrificing performance/quality. For example, i know i can get a cheaper power supply but i honestly don't want to go cheap on the parts that matter, the last thing i would want is the power supply blowing up because its a cheep brand.

The main game to build this rig around is planetside 2.

Here are his parts:

Case: CM Elite 430 http://www.scan.co.uk/products/cooler-master-elite-430-...

CPU: AMD 965 BE http://www.scan.co.uk/products/amd-phenom-ii-x4-965-bla...

MOBO: MSI 760GA-P43 (FX) http://www.scan.co.uk/products/msi-760ga-p43-(fx)-amd-760g-s-am3plus-ddr3-sata-iii-6gb-s-sata-raid-pcie-20-(x16)-d-sub-atx

RAM: Corsair Memory Vengeance Jet Black Low Profile 8GB DDR3 1600 MHz http://www.scan.co.uk/products/8gb-(2x4gb)-corsair-ddr3-xms3-pc3-10600-(1333)-non-ecc-unbuffered-cas-9-9-9-24-150v

PSU: Corsair CP-9020047-UK Builder Series CX 500W http://www.scan.co.uk/products/500w-corsair-builder-ser...

HDD: 1TB Western Digital Caviar Green SATA III - 6Gb/s http://www.scan.co.uk/products/1tb-western-digital-wd10...

DVD Drive: 22x Samsung SSUNG/SH-222BB/BEBE in Black OEM http://www.scan.co.uk/products/samsung-sh-s222ab-bebe-s...

GPU: XFX 7870 Core Edition DD AMD/ATI Graphics Card - 2GB http://www.scan.co.uk/products/2gb-xfx-radeon-hd-7870-d... OR MSI GeForce GTX 660 Twin Frozr II http://www.scan.co.uk/products/2gb-msi-gtx-660-twin-fro...(x16)-6008mhz-gddr5-gpu-1033mhz-boost-1098mhz-cores-9

I would prefer if you would link/suggest items that are available in the UK and from well established websites such as Aria, Scan, Dabs, Ebuyer and Overclockers.

Thanks in advance for you posts.

More about : 400 500 gaming

December 1, 2012 8:03:23 PM

PCPartPicker part list / Price breakdown by merchant / Benchmarks

CPU: AMD A8-5600K 3.6GHz Quad-Core Processor (£77.02 @ Amazon UK)
Motherboard: ASRock FM2A75 Pro4 ATX FM2 Motherboard (£59.19 @ Amazon UK)
Memory: Corsair Vengeance 8GB (2 x 4GB) DDR3-1600 Memory (£29.59 @ Scan.co.uk)
Storage: Seagate Barracuda 1TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive (£55.96 @ CCL Computers)
Video Card: MSI GeForce GTX 660 2GB Video Card (£159.95 @ Overclockers.co.uk)
Case: Cooler Master Storm Scout ATX Mid Tower Case (£63.58 @ Scan.co.uk)
Power Supply: XFX 550W 80 PLUS Bronze Certified ATX12V / EPS12V Power Supply (£49.98 @ Novatech)
Optical Drive: Samsung SH-222BB/BEBE DVD/CD Writer (£11.96 @ Scan.co.uk)
Total: £507.23
(Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available.)
(Generated by PCPartPicker 2012-12-01 22:03 GMT+0000)
December 1, 2012 8:25:28 PM

PCPartPicker part list: http://pcpartpicker.com/uk/p/qsOw
Price breakdown by merchant: http://pcpartpicker.com/uk/p/qsOw/by_merchant/
Benchmarks: http://pcpartpicker.com/uk/p/qsOw/benchmarks/

CPU: Intel Core i3-3220 3.3GHz Dual-Core Processor (£89.48 @ Amazon UK)
Motherboard: MSI B75MA-E33 Micro ATX LGA1155 Motherboard (£42.90 @ Scan.co.uk)
Memory: Patriot Viper 3 8GB (2 x 4GB) DDR3-1600 Memory (£26.39 @ Overclockers.co.uk)
Storage: Seagate Barracuda 1TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive (£52.74 @ CCL Computers)
Video Card: XFX Radeon HD 7870 2GB Video Card (£174.94 @ Scan.co.uk)
Case: NZXT Source 210 Elite (Black) ATX Mid Tower Case (£39.98 @ Overclockers.co.uk)
Power Supply: XFX 550W 80 PLUS Bronze Certified ATX12V / EPS12V Power Supply (£49.98 @ Novatech)
Optical Drive: Samsung SH-222BB/BEBE DVD/CD Writer (£11.96 @ Scan.co.uk)
Total: £488.37
(Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available.)

The i3 will better than the x4 965 be and a 7870 makes a more balanced build.
Related resources
December 1, 2012 8:28:36 PM

PCPartPicker part list / Price breakdown by merchant / Benchmarks

CPU: Intel Core i3-3220 3.3GHz Dual-Core Processor (£89.48 @ Amazon UK)
Motherboard: MSI B75A-G43 ATX LGA1155 Motherboard (£56.10 @ Scan.co.uk)
Memory: Patriot Viper 3 8GB (2 x 4GB) DDR3-1600 Memory (£26.39 @ Overclockers.co.uk)
Storage: Seagate Barracuda 1TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive (£52.74 @ CCL Computers)
Video Card: MSI GeForce GTX 660 2GB Video Card (£159.95 @ Overclockers.co.uk)
Case: Antec Three Hundred Two ATX Mid Tower Case (£50.37 @ Amazon UK)
Power Supply: XFX 550W 80 PLUS Bronze Certified ATX12V / EPS12V Power Supply (£49.98 @ Novatech)
Optical Drive: Samsung SH-222BB/BEBE DVD/CD Writer (£11.96 @ Scan.co.uk)
Total: £496.97
(Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available.)
(Generated by PCPartPicker 2012-12-01 22:26 GMT+0000)

Need a better motherboard than the MSI B75MA-E33 IMO, and I'd personally prefer a better case. GTX 660 or HD 7870 is debatable, either's good.
December 1, 2012 8:32:03 PM

mrdowntownkiller said:
PCPartPicker part list / Price breakdown by merchant / Benchmarks

CPU: AMD A8-5600K 3.6GHz Quad-Core Processor (£77.02 @ Amazon UK)
Motherboard: ASRock FM2A75 Pro4 ATX FM2 Motherboard (£59.19 @ Amazon UK)
Memory: Corsair Vengeance 8GB (2 x 4GB) DDR3-1600 Memory (£29.59 @ Scan.co.uk)
Storage: Seagate Barracuda 1TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive (£55.96 @ CCL Computers)
Video Card: MSI GeForce GTX 660 2GB Video Card (£159.95 @ Overclockers.co.uk)
Case: Cooler Master Storm Scout ATX Mid Tower Case (£63.58 @ Scan.co.uk)
Power Supply: XFX 550W 80 PLUS Bronze Certified ATX12V / EPS12V Power Supply (£49.98 @ Novatech)
Optical Drive: Samsung SH-222BB/BEBE DVD/CD Writer (£11.96 @ Scan.co.uk)
Total: £507.23
(Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available.)
(Generated by PCPartPicker 2012-12-01 22:03 GMT+0000)


Thanks for you post. I'm not a big fan of the newer AMD chips, i have always preferred the older ones as they are much better value. Would the 5600k be faster than the 965BE? I will look at some reviews if you do not know. Lots of people highly recommend this CPU as the best budget AMD CPU.

I have changed the ram to the one you have linked. Thanks
December 1, 2012 8:37:32 PM

All of you have recomended using a diferent DVD/CD drive so i have changed it. Thanks for the posts!

As for using a dual core, this PC will be mianly used for Planetside 2, Call of Duty, Battlefield and Casual games such as left for dead. As Planetside 2 is a new release, seeing how it performs on a friends dual core i will not be taking your advice. However, i will be looking into the GTX 660. Thanks for the posts.
December 1, 2012 8:39:55 PM

+1 to Sakkura's build - the i3 is an excellent choice, as is the GTX660. Inbetween the two Radeons interms of price and performance, but the added nVidia benefits of FXAA, TXAA, adaptive v-sync and PhysX.

EDIT: And just to clarify on the dual core, you may already be aware but the i3 uses Hyperthreading, so you've got 4 logical cores there. It's still two physically, but it doesn't really hurt performance. Check out some CPU reviews and you'll see what I mean. Also, you've listed most of the best retailers there but don't forget novatech.co.uk!
December 1, 2012 8:40:36 PM

If you want the amd cpu, you better get a aftermarket cooler and better mobo :

PCPartPicker part list: http://pcpartpicker.com/uk/p/qt16
Price breakdown by merchant: http://pcpartpicker.com/uk/p/qt16/by_merchant/
Benchmarks: http://pcpartpicker.com/uk/p/qt16/benchmarks/

CPU: AMD Phenom II X4 965 Black 3.4GHz Quad-Core Processor (£70.37 @ Amazon UK)
CPU Cooler: Cooler Master Hyper 212 EVO 82.9 CFM Sleeve Bearing CPU Cooler (£26.65 @ Scan.co.uk)
Motherboard: ASRock 970 Extreme3 ATX AM3+ Motherboard (£59.58 @ Amazon UK)
Memory: Patriot Viper 3 8GB (2 x 4GB) DDR3-1600 Memory (£26.39 @ Overclockers.co.uk)
Storage: Seagate Barracuda 1TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive (£52.74 @ CCL Computers)
Video Card: MSI GeForce GTX 660 2GB Video Card (£159.95 @ Overclockers.co.uk)
Case: NZXT Source 210 Elite (White) ATX Mid Tower Case (£39.98 @ Overclockers.co.uk)
Power Supply: XFX 550W 80 PLUS Bronze Certified ATX12V / EPS12V Power Supply (£49.98 @ Novatech)
Optical Drive: Samsung SH-222BB/BEBE DVD/CD Writer (£11.96 @ Scan.co.uk)
Total: £497.60
(Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available.)
December 1, 2012 8:44:17 PM

Sakkura said:
PCPartPicker part list / Price breakdown by merchant / Benchmarks

CPU: Intel Core i3-3220 3.3GHz Dual-Core Processor (£89.48 @ Amazon UK)
Motherboard: MSI B75A-G43 ATX LGA1155 Motherboard (£56.10 @ Scan.co.uk)
Memory: Patriot Viper 3 8GB (2 x 4GB) DDR3-1600 Memory (£26.39 @ Overclockers.co.uk)
Storage: Seagate Barracuda 1TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive (£52.74 @ CCL Computers)
Video Card: MSI GeForce GTX 660 2GB Video Card (£159.95 @ Overclockers.co.uk)
Case: Antec Three Hundred Two ATX Mid Tower Case (£50.37 @ Amazon UK)
Power Supply: XFX 550W 80 PLUS Bronze Certified ATX12V / EPS12V Power Supply (£49.98 @ Novatech)
Optical Drive: Samsung SH-222BB/BEBE DVD/CD Writer (£11.96 @ Scan.co.uk)
Total: £496.97
(Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available.)
(Generated by PCPartPicker 2012-12-01 22:26 GMT+0000)

Need a better motherboard than the MSI B75MA-E33 IMO, and I'd personally prefer a better case. GTX 660 or HD 7870 is debatable, either's good.



Could you list some motherboards that i can go have a look at? I literally have no idea what i am looking for when it comes to AMD boards. Thanks
December 1, 2012 8:45:42 PM

You have already a good one in my post check it out...
December 1, 2012 8:46:16 PM

sam_p_lay said:
+1 to Sakkura's build - the i3 is an excellent choice, as is the GTX660. Inbetween the two Radeons interms of price and performance, but the added nVidia benefits of FXAA, TXAA, adaptive v-sync and PhysX.

EDIT: And just to clarify on the dual core, you may already be aware but the i3 uses Hyperthreading, so you've got 4 logical cores there. It's still two physically, but it doesn't really hurt performance. Check out some CPU reviews and you'll see what I mean. Also, you've listed most of the best retailers there but don't forget novatech.co.uk!



Thanks for the post =] I will certainly look at the i3 then. I just instantly dismissed the i3 series in general as it is labeled as a dual core.
December 1, 2012 8:47:29 PM

djangoringo said:
If you want the amd cpu, you better get a aftermarket cooler and better mobo :

PCPartPicker part list: http://pcpartpicker.com/uk/p/qt16
Price breakdown by merchant: http://pcpartpicker.com/uk/p/qt16/by_merchant/
Benchmarks: http://pcpartpicker.com/uk/p/qt16/benchmarks/

CPU: AMD Phenom II X4 965 Black 3.4GHz Quad-Core Processor (£70.37 @ Amazon UK)
CPU Cooler: Cooler Master Hyper 212 EVO 82.9 CFM Sleeve Bearing CPU Cooler (£26.65 @ Scan.co.uk)
Motherboard: ASRock 970 Extreme3 ATX AM3+ Motherboard (£59.58 @ Amazon UK)
Memory: Patriot Viper 3 8GB (2 x 4GB) DDR3-1600 Memory (£26.39 @ Overclockers.co.uk)
Storage: Seagate Barracuda 1TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive (£52.74 @ CCL Computers)
Video Card: MSI GeForce GTX 660 2GB Video Card (£159.95 @ Overclockers.co.uk)
Case: NZXT Source 210 Elite (White) ATX Mid Tower Case (£39.98 @ Overclockers.co.uk)
Power Supply: XFX 550W 80 PLUS Bronze Certified ATX12V / EPS12V Power Supply (£49.98 @ Novatech)
Optical Drive: Samsung SH-222BB/BEBE DVD/CD Writer (£11.96 @ Scan.co.uk)
Total: £497.60
(Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available.)



This spec is looking promising. My favorate so far, though i still need to read up on the i3 build suggested above =p Thanks for the post!
December 1, 2012 8:49:22 PM

jordie240991 said:
All of you have recomended using a diferent DVD/CD drive so i have changed it. Thanks for the posts!

As for using a dual core, this PC will be mianly used for Planetside 2, Call of Duty, Battlefield and Casual games such as left for dead. As Planetside 2 is a new release, seeing how it performs on a friends dual core i will not be taking your advice. However, i will be looking into the GTX 660. Thanks for the posts.

Planetside 2 is FUBAR. It can chug on a Core i7 even. And generally, the Phenom II x4 965 doesn't quite keep up with the Core i3 in games.

You could always step up to one of the cheaper Core i5s though, if you can nudge the budget limit upwards a bit. Forgive the spam:

PCPartPicker part list / Price breakdown by merchant / Benchmarks

CPU: Intel Core i5-3350P 3.1GHz Quad-Core Processor (£132.85 @ Scan.co.uk)
Motherboard: MSI B75A-G43 ATX LGA1155 Motherboard (£56.10 @ Scan.co.uk)
Memory: Patriot Viper 3 8GB (2 x 4GB) DDR3-1600 Memory (£26.39 @ Overclockers.co.uk)
Storage: Seagate Barracuda 500GB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive (£41.05 @ CCL Computers)
Video Card: MSI GeForce GTX 660 2GB Video Card (£159.95 @ Overclockers.co.uk)
Case: Antec Three Hundred Two ATX Mid Tower Case (£50.37 @ Amazon UK)
Power Supply: XFX 550W 80 PLUS Bronze Certified ATX12V / EPS12V Power Supply (£49.98 @ Novatech)
Optical Drive: Samsung SH-222BB/BEBE DVD/CD Writer (£11.96 @ Scan.co.uk)
Total: £528.65
(Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available.)
(Generated by PCPartPicker 2012-12-01 22:49 GMT+0000)
December 1, 2012 8:50:27 PM

jordie240991 said:
Thanks for the post =] I will certainly look at the i3 then. I just instantly dismissed the i3 series in general as it is labeled as a dual core.


Pleasure :-) It's a common response to the i3, but it's really a solid CPU - not miles behind the i5s in gaming capability, but quite a bit cheaper.
December 1, 2012 8:50:33 PM

like i said, the i3 is still better, in the other one i included the 7870 amd but if you prefer nvidia :

PCPartPicker part list: http://pcpartpicker.com/uk/p/qt4H
Price breakdown by merchant: http://pcpartpicker.com/uk/p/qt4H/by_merchant/
Benchmarks: http://pcpartpicker.com/uk/p/qt4H/benchmarks/

CPU: Intel Core i3-3220 3.3GHz Dual-Core Processor (£89.48 @ Amazon UK)
Motherboard: ASRock H77 Pro4-M Micro ATX LGA1155 Motherboard (£66.11 @ Amazon UK)
Memory: Patriot Viper 3 8GB (2 x 4GB) DDR3-1600 Memory (£26.39 @ Overclockers.co.uk)
Storage: Seagate Barracuda 1TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive (£52.74 @ CCL Computers)
Video Card: MSI GeForce GTX 660 2GB Video Card (£159.95 @ Overclockers.co.uk)
Case: NZXT Source 210 Elite (White) ATX Mid Tower Case (£39.98 @ Overclockers.co.uk)
Power Supply: XFX 550W 80 PLUS Bronze Certified ATX12V / EPS12V Power Supply (£49.98 @ Novatech)
Optical Drive: Samsung SH-222BB/BEBE DVD/CD Writer (£11.96 @ Scan.co.uk)
Total: £496.59
(Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available.)

It has a better mobo.
December 1, 2012 8:52:17 PM

jordie240991 said:
Could you list some motherboards that i can go have a look at? I literally have no idea what i am looking for when it comes to AMD boards. Thanks

I was referring to the motherboard djangoringo picked for the Core i3. The AMD board he picked is very good.
December 1, 2012 9:01:57 PM

There is nothing wrong with the first intel build, the mobo is fine just fine it has only less sata ports (4 total) vs 6 sata ports and the case nzxt is a good one.
I still think the best will be the first build intel with the i3+7870 or the i3+660 gtx+h77 mobo.
December 1, 2012 9:30:15 PM

djangoringo said:
There is nothing wrong with the first intel build, the mobo is fine just fine it has only less sata ports (4 total) vs 6 sata ports and the case nzxt is a good one.
I still think the best will be the first build intel with the i3+7870 or the i3+660 gtx+h77 mobo.

It's a bit short on case fan connectors. A single 4-pin and a 3-pin. And I'd prefer ALC 892 audio codec over ALC 887.
!