Sign in with
Your question

[i5 3570k 8gb corsair for under £300 etc]Is this a good gaming system?

Last response: in Systems
November 26, 2012 5:19:40 PM

Hey all...

Okay so i have ditched my old idea for an AMD processor...

This is my plan for my system build (please note, the case, PSU and SSd have not yet been taken into consideration... i currently have a spare 600w PSU and old case...eventually i will invest in better ones!)

i5 3570k 3.4ghz (£172.98)
8GB Corsair Vengenance 1600MHz DDR3 ram (£31.32)
ASUS P8H61-MX motherboard (£35)
Case+600w PSU (as i may buy a HD 6950 later on..)
1TB HDD (standard drive.. 7200 rpm.. will invest in an SSD later..)
Samsung 22" t22b350 (already purchased)

So this all comes up to £239.30 ... which i think is fantastic!!

I havent yet added a GPU into my config, as the CPU has intel hh 4000 graphics, so i thought lets give that a try, if it sucks then add a HD 6950 which i can buy for £50 from a friend...(yes second hand, but trusted source)

Would this be able to play games at high settings (or would you reccomend the GPU too?)

-Please do not say the hd 6950 is not a good GPU.. its excellent, and im not rich enough to but the 7950 or gtx 690 etc...

My previous plan was to buy a bulldozer 4.4ghz... but i think the i5 investment will pay itself off...

Anyway, is this a good plan?

And yes, my PSU is reliable... please ignore the psu/case for now

I dont really play games like Crysis (perhaps because my laptop right now cant support it, ha!)

The types of things i would be using this PC for would be:

Play GTA IV, 3D Modelling software for mathematics, Matlab, Video editing (basic), maybe some better games like MW3 BF3 etc...

Any help, suggestions and ideas would be very much appreciated!!

(Also, at all times, please keep the budget below £300, i dont need fancy water cooling kits or an alienware laptop/spaceship at this time)

-Thank you
November 26, 2012 6:27:13 PM

There is no point in buying a 3570k cpu on a h61 motherboard since that motherboard doesn't support overclocking... (and the h61 was designed for sandybridge and might require a firmware update to support the 3570k)

So basically you need to do the following:
Buy a better motherboard that can support overclocking to actually take advantage of your cpu (z75 or z77 chipset)
or
get a h77 chipset motherboard and drop that 3570k to a 3470 or 3570.

And if you're going with the z75/77 motherboard for overclocking, I would HIGHLY suggest that you get a 3rd party CPU cooler for 20-30 pounds to actually be able to cool the cpu (the stock ones are terrible)
November 26, 2012 6:43:11 PM

The 6950 is a good card, no doubt, but buying one new is pointless. If you can get it from your friend for cheap, that works fine.

Also, what case and PSU are you buying? This is important. I cannot ignore the case or PSU as you have asked, as way too many people on the forums buy poor cases and power supplies, more power supplies than cases.

I'm guessing you have a CiT?
Related resources
November 26, 2012 6:50:06 PM

Deemo13 said:
The 6950 is a good card, no doubt, but buying one new is pointless. If you can get it from your friend for cheap, that works fine.

Also, what case and PSU are you buying? This is important. I cannot ignore the case or PSU as you have asked, as way too many people on the forums buy poor cases and power supplies, more power supplies than cases.

I'm guessing you have a CiT?

he's reusing his case and psu.... and maybe buying another one later on...

he'll probably ask again later when he's buying a new case/psu...
November 26, 2012 9:39:48 PM

killerhurtalot said:
he's reusing his case and psu.... and maybe buying another one later on...

he'll probably ask again later when he's buying a new case/psu...

I meant to say "what PSU do you have" but I guess it didnt work out. I would just like to know the brand of PSU he plans to use, as the 6950 actually uses alot of power. I recommend when you get that 6950 to change the power supply if its not already something formidable.
November 26, 2012 9:40:36 PM

hi, im not sure about the case... its just a standard case buts its well vented... was previously used for a dual core AMD build...

The PSU came with the case i bought about 3 years ago and it said 'branded' but i cant seem to find the box/name...

Anyway, i will invest in a better PSU... not sure why the case is so important if its well ventilated..

Also yes, i mad a huge mistake with the MOBO, i will change to a z77 one...

Thanks for all the advice so far, i will buy the 6950...

But will this be a solid gaming system with this motherboard: Asus P8Z77-V LX

Do you think it will be future proof for a few years at least...

thanks
November 26, 2012 9:51:16 PM

Well, the case doesnt really matter. Its more about the power supply.

This will be a very solid gaming system. Personally I was able to run any game I threw at my 6950.

Maybe you will get lucky and get one of the special 6950's like I have, but those are rare.
November 26, 2012 9:54:15 PM

thanks deemo, can you please reccomend a good PSU and colling system i should use for this build?

thanks
November 26, 2012 9:56:41 PM

A good CPU cooler for the money would be a Cooler Master Hyper 212 EVO. Any PSU with 600W from Antec, Corsair, XFX, or Seasonic should do just fine.
November 26, 2012 10:14:38 PM

Thanks, the hyper 212 looks great... Just wanted to know, whats the max i can OC theis cpu with that heatsink?

also, im choosing the Corsair cs600w :) 
November 26, 2012 10:48:28 PM

That's a fine PSU. And the Hyper 212 will probably help you achieve 4.4 max. You can do better with a Noctua NH-D14, but its a bit more expensive.
!