£800-£1000 gaming pc budget

AyePal

Distinguished
Jun 26, 2012
I'm looking to build a new pc. I'm going to buy all of the components and me and a friend are going to build it. I'm wanting something that will last a good few years and will make the most of the money. Here's a build I made but if anyone can think of anything better, please let me know. The build bellow uses an intel CPU but I was thinking of AMD just for the save of money.

Thanks.

Case Cooler Master HAF-922
CPU Intel i7 3770 - (4 x 3.4 GHZ) - Ivy Bridge
CPU Heatsink Arctic Cooling Freezer 13 - Low Noise
Memory 8GB (2x4GB) Corsair DDR3 Vengeance Arctic White, PC3-12800 (1600), Non-ECC, CAS 9-9-9-24, 1.35V
Graphics Card ATI Radeon HD 7950 - 3 GB - (XFX) - (PCI-E) (3 Free Games)
Motherboard Gigabyte GA-B75M-D3H (Intel B75) - VGA/DVI/HDMI
Sound Card Motherboard Integrated HD Sound
Networking Motherboard Integrated Ethernet Lan (Broadband Ready)
Power Supply Corsair 750W PSU - Low Noise
Hard Drive 1 1 TB Seagate (1000 GB) SATA-III HDD 7200 RPM 64MB
Hard Drive 2 120GB OCZ Technology Vertex 3, 2.5" SATA 6Gb/s Sandforce SSD, Read 550MB/s, Write 500MB/s, 60K IOPS
Optical Drive Samsung 24x DVD/CD Re-Writer/Reader - Black - (SATA)

malbluff

Honorable
There are a few things to "adjust". Firstly what are you going to use PC for; presumably gaming, but any other "special" work? Do you want to overclock CPU? If not, you don't need cooler. If you do, you need a "K" processor. Motherboard should be changed, whether or not you want to overclock. Do you intend, in near future, to add a 2nd graphics card, in crossfire? If not, you don't need 750w PSU.
Finally where are you (country) and what is your budget, for the above? With that info, can give some constructive advice.

AyePal

Distinguished
Jun 26, 2012
I'm primary going to use it for gaming. Secondly, I'll be using it for 3D modelling programs such as Maya but not heavy on stuff. I doubt I'll be overclocking to begin with and I've never really read into overclocking so i don't know much about it. And I don't think I'll be adding a second video card.

StormOfRazors

Honorable
Nov 9, 2012

For CPU I would stay on the intel side for gaming, if you want to save $100 go the i5 3570 or 3570k if overclocking. It will make little difference compared to the 3770 as games dont utilize the hyper threading to its full extent. The AMD is good for heavily threaded tasks, but not for gaming. (I am presuming you are talking about either bulldozer or piledriver FX processors). Their APU's are also kind of redundant, as you are including a dedicated graphics card.

For graphics card, good choice I am going with that myself, even though my region doesn't get any free games....

Yea dont worry about a dedicated sound card initially, in most cases the Motherboards sound will be fine and if you need to you can always add one later.

Good choice on PSU, corsair are good and reliable.

I would avoid OCZ for the moment for SSD, they are having financial trouble and if they go under it could hamper any warranty claims of yours. Id suggest the samsung 830 series, or intel 330 series. the difference in performance between SSD's is not really noticable outside of benchmarks, get the one that is the capacity/price you are willing to pay.
NOTE: swap the SSD to the primary drive and install your OS on it for maximum effect. (you have it listed as drive #2) to do this, unplug the seagate during OS installation and plug it back in after, or alternative alter the BIOS so that the SSD is the primary drive.

Hope I helped

Edit: oh, change the Motherboard to a Z77, as it has better features than the B75 and support for more of Ivy Bridges features. On the cheap, go for a Asrock extreme 4 or Gigabyte GA-z77-d3h or for a bit more the Asrock extreme 6 or the gigabyte UD3H. both brands are good and reliable