New Gaming Tower predominantly used for GW2 for under £1,000 (VAT not included)

papaganoosh

Honorable
Oct 21, 2012
Hello all,

I work in Computer Forensics, so I should have no problem putting this beast together, however, I am not arrogant enough to think that I know everything about all the pros and cons about each individual component. Because of this I would really appreciate any help the community can give with regard to the entire build. I have a few ideas in my head, but have not bought anything at all yet. If people can give me what they think is the best build for under £1,000 (without VAT as I can get it through work) that would be much appreciated!

Approximate Purchase Date: Mid-November

Budget Range: £1,000 without VAT and after shipping.

System Usage from Most to Least Important: Playing Guild Wars 2 is the main reason.

Are you buying a monitor: Yes

Parts to Upgrade: Whole build

Do you need to buy OS: Yes

Preferred Website(s) for Parts:
http://www.overclockers.co.uk/
http://www.novatech.co.uk/
http://www.aria.co.uk/
http://www.scan.co.uk/
http://www.microdirect.co.uk/Home/
http://www.ebay.co.uk

Parts Preferences:
Intel CPU

Overclocking: Yes

SLI or Crossfire: Maybe

Your Monitor Resolution: Pretty flexible with this. Would like a higher resolution obviously, but leave it in your hands.

Additional Comments: Noise is not a problem, would prefer quite an understated case etc, but not a real sticking point.

And Most Importantly, Why Are You Upgrading: Currently have a laptop and after moving have space for a Tower now.

excella1221

Honorable
Aug 23, 2012
Here you go, hun. Not sure if tax was actually accounted for here. If yes, then good for you; you get to save alot of cash. :)
OC and Crossfire ready parts.

PCPartPicker part list / Price breakdown by merchant / Benchmarks

CPU: Intel Core i5-3570K 3.4GHz Quad-Core Processor (£168.61 @ CCL Computers)
Motherboard: ASRock Z77 Extreme4 ATX LGA1155 Motherboard (£104.12 @ Scan.co.uk)
Memory: Corsair Vengeance 8GB (2 x 4GB) DDR3-1600 Memory (£29.76 @ Scan.co.uk)
Storage: Samsung Spinpoint F3 1TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive (£59.99 @ Ebuyer)
Video Card: MSI Radeon HD 7950 3GB Video Card (£239.99 @ Overclockers.co.uk)
Case: Antec Three Hundred Two ATX Mid Tower Case (£50.13 @ Amazon UK)
Power Supply: Corsair Enthusiast 750W 80 PLUS Bronze Certified ATX12V / EPS12V Power Supply (£83.67 @ Ebuyer)
Optical Drive: Samsung SH-222BB/BEBE DVD/CD Writer (£11.96 @ Scan.co.uk)
Monitor: Asus VE247H 23.6" Monitor (£151.48 @ Scan.co.uk)
Operating System: Microsoft Windows 7 Home Premium SP1 (64-bit) (£68.35 @ CCL Computers)
Total: £968.06
(Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available.)

papaganoosh

Honorable
Oct 21, 2012
Thankfully I have a laptop that should be able to burn anything I need so that cd drive is ideal!

Thank you so much for your help. If the total doesn't include tax (I still need to check) would you recommend upgrading the GFX card or buying a solid state drive for the OS and programmes?

BiggestMunchkin

Distinguished
Jun 13, 2012
Pretty sure those prices are including tax, so yes I would definitely spring for an SSD (it'd probably be worth it anyway)- Samsung 830 series got a good write up on Toms, and I'd recommend the 128GB model.

If you're only running one 1080p monitor I'm not sure it'd be work your while upgrading the graphics card, though others might disagree - the MSI you've got should blow you away, and it's got mad overclocking potential. You could save a bit of money on your PSU too, but it's a good one and leaves you plenty of room to upgrade in future.

That build is basically the same as the one I've been getting together for the last few months, can't fault it! http://pcpartpicker.com/uk/p/kC3g

One more thing - if you do alot of CD/DVD duplication you might want to spring for a LightScribe drive - it'll only set you back an extra five quid or so over the bog standard one.

papaganoosh

Honorable
Oct 21, 2012
Annoying you can't edit. My next question was going to be "does this have enough power/space for future upgrades", but you already answered that to some extent!

I think I will certainly go for the SSD as I checked and the total (without tax) is £775 so still have a little bit of money to spend. However, there is obviously no need to spend all the budget so the setup above looks great.

I am certainly planning to overclock so is there anything I need to focus on to allow this? Maybe a stronger fan or some thermal paste?

BiggestMunchkin

Distinguished
Jun 13, 2012
Grab an aftermarket CPU cooler - even if you don't intend to overclock straight away it's going to be miles easier to install it from the start rather than hauling everything out of the case again at a later date. I picked the Cooler Master Hyper 212 EVO for my build, but there are lots of other good choices.

The thermal paste you get with the CPU/cooler should be fine. As for fans, I think there are four more spaces for 120mm fans in that case - if you wanted to invest in another one or two it wouldn't hurt (though I think you'll be alright without unless you're going to really push it).

On a related note, shop around for cases. The Antec is a great understated look, but you might want something flashier according to your taste - and a bigger case obviously gives you better cooling.

papaganoosh

Honorable
Oct 21, 2012
Great idea on the CPU cooler. The EVO looks good and easily fits in budget.

The case is perfect as I want an understated look with no flashing lights etc, I know there is quite a good Corsair case about that is a bit pricier but also maybe a bit bigger, cannot remember the name though.

Any particular fans that you can recommend for the case?

BiggestMunchkin

Distinguished
Jun 13, 2012
I've heard good things about Antec Truequiet, though I'm sure any reputable brand will work fine - just make sure you get the right size.

Yeah, it's a great case, just wanted to make sure you'd weighed your options. A full tower is too bulky for a lot of folks (I'm probably going to go mid-tower myself), but there are pros and cons - as always!

BiggestMunchkin

Distinguished
Jun 13, 2012
The Toms articles on gaming cases are really good, worth a look at, and the Antec Three Hundred series scores really well on cooling and noise. I hear the Corsair is a dream to build with - the tool free drive bays are really easy to move, the cable management's excellent - but once you've built the thing that perk is pretty much used up. The Antec gives you two 2.5" bays which the Corsair doesn't, but you can get brackets for 2.5" drives to fit in 3.5" bays if you need them (and I don't know if they're stand-alone bays or if it means taking space away from the 3.5" ones). I personally like the look of the Corsair better (painted black interior), but that's a personal preference - maybe you prefer the industrial look!

In the end, the case has to be your choice I'm afraid!

allanitomwesh

Honorable
Jun 27, 2012
Xigmatek XLF fans are good. 400R is good but I'd spend more for the 500R. Otherwise I love the bitfenix shinobi,for understated. Needs extra Spectre Pro fans though and it's stealth drive bay to work well.

papaganoosh

Honorable
Oct 21, 2012
Hi Guys,

I've bought all the parts now apart from the CPU

http://pcpartpicker.com/uk/p/lgNT

I am torn between the Intel i5 2500K and the 3570K.

There is no difference in price, so I need some help on deciding. I plan to Overclock whichever CPU I get to about 4.5ghz, I am a first time Overclocker so really don't want to push it too hard.

I have been told that the 2500K will run cooler in my (relatively) small case.

However, I have also been told that at 4.5ghz and using the CoolerMaster CPU cooler the 3570K won't have any overheating problems, as well as being more futureproof.

What do people think?

TRENDING THREADS