Any suggestions for a gaming pc build under £550

cerador

Honorable
Nov 2, 2012
I'm looking to build a new gaming PC for under £550 and was wondering if you guys could give some input on what parts would get me the best bang for my buck.

Machine Built For: Gaming

Budget: £550, but less if possible. For example I don't need a 1 TB hard drive.

Reason for upgrading: My old dell xps has reached it's limits

Things I already have and can use: ATI Radeon HD 6870, Monitor.

I would like to utilize the 6870 graphics card I have, as it handles most games perfectly. The main reason for building a new pc is because of needing a better motherboard/gpu/power

malbluff

Honorable
Here you go.
PCPartPicker part list / Price breakdown by merchant / Benchmarks

CPU: Intel Core i5-3470 3.2GHz Quad-Core Processor (£143.38 @ Amazon UK)
Motherboard: Gigabyte GA-H77M-D3H Micro ATX LGA1155 Motherboard (£70.13 @ Amazon UK)
Memory: Corsair Vengeance 8GB (2 x 4GB) DDR3-1600 Memory (£30.96 @ Scan.co.uk)
Storage: Western Digital Caviar Black 500GB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive (£59.82 @ CCL Computers)
Case: Antec Three Hundred Two ATX Mid Tower Case (£50.13 @ Amazon UK)
Power Supply: XFX 550W 80 PLUS Bronze Certified ATX12V / EPS12V Power Supply (£49.98 @ Novatech)
Optical Drive: LG GH24NS90 DVD/CD Writer (£13.98 @ Novatech)
Total: £418.38
(Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available.)
That leaves you room, if you want to, for using an unlocked "K" processor,with overclocking, or possibly adding an SSD. Or having some change.
You didn't mention if you needed operating system, but again, room for that, if needed

cerador

Honorable
Nov 2, 2012
Thanks for this buddy. Looks good. I could most probably get a cheaper case as well if looks weren't all that important?

Is there a certain "type" of case I need to get?

cerador

Honorable
Nov 2, 2012
Looks like I'm going to go with this spec using my current 6870 graphics card for now.

What this be considered a decent gaming rig? would handle skyrim all OK?

Don't need an operating system. Already have a big monitor as well, so saving some money there.

malbluff

Honorable
Don't reduce case quality. You don't NEED to, and a decent case will last for years, if necessary, without bits dropping off.
The only limits to the capabilities of that build will be graphics card. It can cope with more than a HD6870 can. If you want to add to system, drop in a 128GB OCZ Vertex4 SSD, for OS, and main games. Makes everything feel "snappier".

cerador

Honorable
Nov 2, 2012
Will be placing an order for some of the items tonight!

I also have an Q6600 proccessor I could use instead of the Intel Core i5-3470.

Would you recommened this our does the Intel Core i5-3470 outpeform the Q6600 by a long shot?

cerador

Honorable
Nov 2, 2012
OK, perfect. Once again, thanks for the help!

As I'm quite a bit under budget, would you recommend getting a better PSU ready for future upgrades to graphics cards etc or is 550w plenty even for the near future?

malbluff

Honorable
You wouldn't need higher PSU if you wanted to upgrade GPU. Virtually any new GPU is covered by 550w, and the next generation is likely to have even lower needs. The only two simple ways system could be "improved" would be to use a "K" processor and overclock (adds about £75), or add an SSD, for OS and main games (adds about £85).

cerador

Honorable
Nov 2, 2012
Placed the order for the CPU and motherboard today, so that's the most expensive parts out the way.

I always thought a 550w PSU sounded too low after listening to most peoples builds.

I'm guessing people overkill on PSU sometimes like they do ram when it's not really needed most of the time.

malbluff

Honorable
The HD6870 WAS a good card, and still is pretty good. I would think your best option is to use that for a year, or so, then get a HD8xxx or GTX7xx.
You could use higher wattage PSU, provided it was as good quality, but just don't think you need to, especially with a locked processor. Short of crossfire, nothing your LIKELY to do will require more than 550w.

cerador

Honorable
Nov 2, 2012
Lets say I do crossfire, do you have any recommendations for a higher wattage CPU?

That way I'm prepared for the future.

cerador

Honorable
Nov 2, 2012
Just placed my order for the Corsair 750w PSU.

Dude, I'm going to be poor after speaking to you haha.

Listen, with the money left over and extra money I found... I have a budget of £250 or slightly over that I would like to put towards a better graphics card.

Any suggestions on a good upgrade to my 6870?