Sign in with
Sign up | Sign in
Your question

Clueless and building from nothing with £1000 to spend

Tags:
Last response: in Systems
Share
November 1, 2012 3:17:14 PM

I am looking to build a mid-high end gaming system with a grand, from nothing.

Approximate Purchase Date: up to 6 weeks from now

Budget Range: £1000 maxiumum

System Usage from Most to Least Important: gaming, watching Blu-Ray movies, streaming HD video, general internet use

Are you buying a monitor: Nope, I have background checked my Samsung XL2270HD and it will make a decent 1080p monitor as far as I am aware (advice welcome although)

Parts: I think I have decided to go with the i5-3570k since review and comparisons have all suggested that this is more or less the perfect option considering my circumstances.
I am total computer newbie so any advice on a partnering motherboard and other components which would work around this processor would be briliant. I especially need advice on how much and what ram to get (brand etc)
I also have decided on th NVidia GTX-670 since I have been adviced not to spend on a 680 since it is just not worth it. If I go with this card what brand should I go with?
I will probably be needing a SSD but have no clue where to look :??: 
Any cases you would recommend? I was lookng at the CM Scout, seemed decent

Do you need to buy OS: Windows 7/8 is necessary but which one to buy/torrent

Preferred Website(s) for Parts: amazon, eBay... any recommendations?

Location: I'm from near Birmingham, UK

Parts Preferences: Intel, but if someone has the power to sway me to AMD, by all means

Overclocking: probably not, unless I can be talked into it ;) 

SLI or Crossfire: WHAT EVEN IS THIS AND DO I NEED IT?! :cry: 

Your Monitor Resolution: 1920x1080, 5ms rt

Additional Comments: any mods would be cool, but not necessary. I would like to play games on pretty high-end settings, ultra if possible.

I am only just beginning to research into this world, so explanations and simplified vocab to help me learn would be appreciated :pt1cable: 
November 1, 2012 3:48:59 PM

Quote:
SLI or Crossfire: WHAT EVEN IS THIS AND DO I NEED IT?! :cry: 


That's if you want to run a second video card later on.

Quote:
Parts Preferences: Intel, but if someone has the power to sway me to AMD, by all means


No reason to go AMD on your budget - the FX is marginally getting better but the key word there is marginally, they still have a long way to go to knock off Sandy / Ivy Bridge. AMD video cards are excellent though.

Quote:
Overclocking: probably not, unless I can be talked into it ;) 


If it's your first time I probably wouldn't suggest it unless you know someone who does overclock their builds.

Quote:
I will probably be needing a SSD but have no clue where to look :??: 


You don't necessarily need one to start with - you can always add that later on.

Here is what I would suggest:

PCPartPicker part list / Price breakdown by merchant / Benchmarks

CPU: Intel Core i5-3470 3.2GHz Quad-Core Processor (£143.38 @ Amazon UK)
Motherboard: ASRock H77 Pro4/MVP ATX LGA1155 Motherboard (£72.52 @ Amazon UK)
Memory: Mushkin Blackline 8GB (2 x 4GB) DDR3-1600 Memory (£39.61 @ Amazon UK)
Storage: Samsung Spinpoint F3 1TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive (£55.00 @ Ebuyer)
Video Card: EVGA GeForce GTX 670 2GB Video Card (£299.60 @ Scan.co.uk)
Case: NZXT Phantom 410 (White) ATX Mid Tower Case (£83.99 @ Overclockers.co.uk)
Power Supply: Corsair Enthusiast 650W 80 PLUS Bronze Certified ATX12V / EPS12V Power Supply (£66.99 @ Dabs)
Optical Drive: Lite-On iHAS124-04 DVD/CD Writer (£19.99 @ Overclockers.co.uk)
Monitor: Asus VE247H 23.6" Monitor (£150.31 @ CCL Computers)
Operating System: Microsoft Windows 7 Home Premium SP1 (64-bit) (£70.36 @ CCL Computers)
Total: £1001.75
(Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available.)

Add whatever keyboard and mouse you want and you're good to go.
November 1, 2012 4:12:38 PM

g-unit1111 said:
Quote:
SLI or Crossfire: WHAT EVEN IS THIS AND DO I NEED IT?! :cry: 


That's if you want to run a second video card later on.

Quote:
Parts Preferences: Intel, but if someone has the power to sway me to AMD, by all means


No reason to go AMD on your budget - the FX is marginally getting better but the key word there is marginally, they still have a long way to go to knock off Sandy / Ivy Bridge. AMD video cards are excellent though.

Quote:
Overclocking: probably not, unless I can be talked into it ;) 


If it's your first time I probably wouldn't suggest it unless you know someone who does overclock their builds.

Quote:
I will probably be needing a SSD but have no clue where to look :??: 


You don't necessarily need one to start with - you can always add that later on.

Here is what I would suggest:

PCPartPicker part list / Price breakdown by merchant / Benchmarks

CPU: Intel Core i5-3470 3.2GHz Quad-Core Processor (£143.38 @ Amazon UK)
Motherboard: ASRock H77 Pro4/MVP ATX LGA1155 Motherboard (£72.52 @ Amazon UK)
Memory: Mushkin Blackline 8GB (2 x 4GB) DDR3-1600 Memory (£39.61 @ Amazon UK)
Storage: Samsung Spinpoint F3 1TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive (£55.00 @ Ebuyer)
Video Card: EVGA GeForce GTX 670 2GB Video Card (£299.60 @ Scan.co.uk)
Case: NZXT Phantom 410 (White) ATX Mid Tower Case (£83.99 @ Overclockers.co.uk)
Power Supply: Corsair Enthusiast 650W 80 PLUS Bronze Certified ATX12V / EPS12V Power Supply (£66.99 @ Dabs)
Optical Drive: Lite-On iHAS124-04 DVD/CD Writer (£19.99 @ Overclockers.co.uk)
Monitor: Asus VE247H 23.6" Monitor (£150.31 @ CCL Computers)
Operating System: Microsoft Windows 7 Home Premium SP1 (64-bit) (£70.36 @ CCL Computers)
Total: £1001.75
(Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available.)

Add whatever keyboard and mouse you want and you're good to go.

Thank you very much!

Would there be an issue getting a 3570k over the 3470?
Would there be the chance to add a second card later?
Related resources
November 1, 2012 4:23:50 PM

tmorrall said:
Thank you very much!

Would there be an issue getting a 3570k over the 3470?
Would there be the chance to add a second card later?


Yeah with both you're looking at a slightly different configuration - you'd need a different motherboard as the one I picked doesn't allow overclocking. You'd also need a stronger PSU to do SLI / Crossfire. You're looking at a slightly higher budget if you want to do that.

Maybe try something like this:

PCPartPicker part list / Price breakdown by merchant / Benchmarks

CPU: Intel Core i5-3570K 3.4GHz Quad-Core Processor (£168.61 @ CCL Computers)
CPU Cooler: Cooler Master Hyper 212 EVO 82.9 CFM Sleeve Bearing CPU Cooler (£23.99 @ Overclockers.co.uk)
Motherboard: ASRock Z77 Extreme4 ATX LGA1155 Motherboard (£104.12 @ Scan.co.uk)
Memory: Mushkin Blackline 8GB (2 x 4GB) DDR3-1600 Memory (£39.61 @ Amazon UK)
Storage: Samsung Spinpoint F3 1TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive (£55.00 @ Ebuyer)
Video Card: EVGA GeForce GTX 670 2GB Video Card (£299.60 @ Scan.co.uk)
Case: NZXT Phantom 410 (White) ATX Mid Tower Case (£83.99 @ Overclockers.co.uk)
Power Supply: Corsair Enthusiast 750W 80 PLUS Bronze Certified ATX12V / EPS12V Power Supply (£79.99 @ Dabs)
Optical Drive: Lite-On iHAS124-04 DVD/CD Writer (£19.99 @ Overclockers.co.uk)
Monitor: Asus VE247H 23.6" Monitor (£150.31 @ CCL Computers)
Operating System: Microsoft Windows 7 Home Premium SP1 (64-bit) (£70.36 @ CCL Computers)
Total: £1095.57
(Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available.)
November 1, 2012 4:43:54 PM

g-unit1111 said:
Yeah with both you're looking at a slightly different configuration - you'd need a different motherboard as the one I picked doesn't allow overclocking. You'd also need a stronger PSU to do SLI / Crossfire. You're looking at a slightly higher budget if you want to do that.

Maybe try something like this:

PCPartPicker part list / Price breakdown by merchant / Benchmarks

CPU: Intel Core i5-3570K 3.4GHz Quad-Core Processor (£168.61 @ CCL Computers)
CPU Cooler: Cooler Master Hyper 212 EVO 82.9 CFM Sleeve Bearing CPU Cooler (£23.99 @ Overclockers.co.uk)
Motherboard: ASRock Z77 Extreme4 ATX LGA1155 Motherboard (£104.12 @ Scan.co.uk)
Memory: Mushkin Blackline 8GB (2 x 4GB) DDR3-1600 Memory (£39.61 @ Amazon UK)
Storage: Samsung Spinpoint F3 1TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive (£55.00 @ Ebuyer)
Video Card: EVGA GeForce GTX 670 2GB Video Card (£299.60 @ Scan.co.uk)
Case: NZXT Phantom 410 (White) ATX Mid Tower Case (£83.99 @ Overclockers.co.uk)
Power Supply: Corsair Enthusiast 750W 80 PLUS Bronze Certified ATX12V / EPS12V Power Supply (£79.99 @ Dabs)
Optical Drive: Lite-On iHAS124-04 DVD/CD Writer (£19.99 @ Overclockers.co.uk)
Monitor: Asus VE247H 23.6" Monitor (£150.31 @ CCL Computers)
Operating System: Microsoft Windows 7 Home Premium SP1 (64-bit) (£70.36 @ CCL Computers)
Total: £1095.57
(Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available.)

Thanks again. This sounds like a good setup! Is this capable of the highest settings in gaming at the moment, or would I have to invest in an i7 or a better graphics card?
November 1, 2012 5:29:13 PM

tmorrall said:
Thanks again. This sounds like a good setup! Is this capable of the highest settings in gaming at the moment, or would I have to invest in an i7 or a better graphics card?


No invest in the GPU - you don't come out ahead by purchasing a better CPU. If you want to pay more - get a 7970 GHz edition, that is a pretty awesome GPU.
November 1, 2012 5:48:23 PM

I agree with g-unit. Very good system he's got for you there. Just a few things. Make sure you really want the monitor, because otherwise you can save the money there and invest in an SSD. Also if you don't plan to overclock the cooler may be unnecessary. And lastly, you mentioned you want to watch blu-ray movies, you'd need a blu ray drive for that.
November 1, 2012 6:07:36 PM

bigbasedrum said:
I agree with g-unit. Very good system he's got for you there. Just a few things. Make sure you really want the monitor, because otherwise you can save the money there and invest in an SSD. Also if you don't plan to overclock the cooler may be unnecessary. And lastly, you mentioned you want to watch blu-ray movies, you'd need a blu ray drive for that.

My HDTV is similar spec so I may put it off for a while. I don't know which way I'd go for SSD like what capacity etc.
How much more is a Blue-Ray drive?
Thanks
November 1, 2012 6:10:20 PM

bigbasedrum said:
I agree with g-unit. Very good system he's got for you there. Just a few things. Make sure you really want the monitor, because otherwise you can save the money there and invest in an SSD. Also if you don't plan to overclock the cooler may be unnecessary. And lastly, you mentioned you want to watch blu-ray movies, you'd need a blu ray drive for that.


I'd rather go for a better GPU instead. Maybe something like a 7970.

As for BD-R - this is the burner I use: http://www.scan.co.uk/products/lg-bh10ls38auar-10x-blu-...

But the software can be insanely difficult to work with.
November 1, 2012 6:26:59 PM

g-unit1111 said:
I'd rather go for a better GPU instead. Maybe something like a 7970.

As for BD-R - this is the burner I use: http://www.scan.co.uk/products/lg-bh10ls38auar-10x-blu-...

But the software can be insanely difficult to work with.

Thanks for the recommendation. Should I go for the 7970 since it's pretty much the same price?
November 1, 2012 6:30:34 PM

tmorrall said:
Thanks for the recommendation. Should I go for the 7970 since it's pretty much the same price?


Yeah make sure you get the GHz edition - it's numbers actually beat the 680 in some areas.
November 3, 2012 4:00:41 AM

Sorry my mistake. Yes, it's better to invest in the GPU, especially for gaming. You can always add an SSD later when you get bored of loading screens ;) . Yes, that HD 7970 should be fine.
!