Building a £580-£680 gaming pc could use help =)

Mechanix_91

Honorable
Oct 31, 2012
Approximate Purchase Date: e.g.: Still debating around 12days

Budget Range:£580-£680

System Usage from Most to Least Important: Gaming/Everything else

Are you buying a monitor: no

Parts to Upgrade: All

Do you need to buy OS: Yes

Preferred Website(s) for Parts: Ive been hovering between dabs and Ebuyer but any trusted supplier will do

Parts Preferences: The CPU would be pref Intel but for the other parts i do not mind as long as they are decent Quality

Overclocking: Maybe

SLI or Crossfire: no

Your Monitor Resolution: can't seem to remember what i use to play on but im aiming for around maybe a decent Mid one

Additional Comments: A solid Gaming pc that will last a good time mainly for GW2 and maybe SWTOR if Bioware pick it up

Okay now that is out of the way these are the specs i have came up with after some research

Motherboard:Asus P8Z77-M S1155 Intel Z77 DDR3 mATX
http://www.dabs.com/products/asus-p8z77-m-s1155-intel-z77-ddr3-matx-80TM.html?q=asus-p8z77-m&src=16

CPU Intel Core i5 2500K / 3.3 GHz processor quad core Sandy bridge includes a heatsink and a fan
http://www.ebuyer.com/251596-intel-core-i5-2500k-3-3ghz-socket-1155-6mb-cache-retail-boxed-processor-bx80623i52500k

RAM 8GB Kit (4GBx2), 240-pin DIMM, DDR3 PC3-12800 memory module
http://www.crucial.com/uk/store/mpartspecs.aspx?mtbpoid=4B6ECE41A5CA7304

GPU amd radeon hd 7770: I do not know which one to go with so some advice would be great
http://www.dabs.com/category/components-and-storage,graphics--tv-tuners-and-i-o,graphics-cards/11137?q=amd%20radeon%20hd%207770

HDD western digital caviar black wd5003azex 500gb: Im really intrested in the idea of using a Low Gb SSD for high loading speeds with screens.
http://www.ebuyer.com/394432-wd-500gb-black-desktop-drive-wd5003azex

DVD: have not begun to look yet but im looking for a basic one just to use for Discs if i have to use them and i guess i will need to it to load Window 7 onto my Pc. looking for one around £15

PSU Corsair 600W Builder Series CX Series CX 80+ Bronze ATX Power Supply: not quite sure if 600w is to high or to low so i went for around 600w
http://www.dabs.com/category/components-and-storage,cases--cooling-and-power,power-supply-units/11259?q=Corsair%20600W%20Builder%20Series%20CX%20Series%20CX%2080%20Bronze%20ATX%20Power%20Supply

OS Windows 7 premium 64bit i believe they are around £65-75 have not found a site for one yet

CASE Zalman Z9 Plus Tower Case with Fan Controller
http://www.dabs.com/category/components-and-storage,cases--cooling-and-power,cases/11145?q=Zalman%20Z9%20Plus%20Tower%20Case%20with%20Fan%20Controller

Altogether it is around £600

MOBO:£80
CPU:£164
RAM:£30
GPU: around £80
HDD:£60
DVD tray: £15
PSU: £48
Case:£40
Total: 587

Now ive done some research but im still pretty iffy about the whole thing i Plan to build it myself since i have looked around and people says its not to hard after you watch a vid or two i have a few questions

One: Easily the most important will this build work together ie will every fit into the MOBO and will the MOBO fit into the case.

Two: Is this a solid build to play GW2 on high settins and get a decent FPS while still being playing in WvW and sPvP.

Three: Are any of the the items listed not very good or are they much better items that are not to different from the cost of the initial item.

Four: If anyone has any Videos of how to build PCs that would be extremely helpful.

Other than that please leave advice/Feedback and any helpful Information and Thank you in advance

That should be fine for those games, I could suggest some small improvements though.

- Your case is an ATX tower with a smaller mATX motherboard, you might as well get a full ATX motherboard with such a big case. That would give you more space and expandibility.

- The i5-2500k is last generation. I'd spend the extra on the i5-3570k. Not much of a raw performance boost but lower power consumption. Also has PCI-e 3.0 and native DDR3 1600Mhz support among other things.

- The HD 7770 is pretty good, if you can afford the HD 7850 2GB I'd get that though. It's much more powerful and would enable you to play more demanding games on ultra high settings at 1080P

- 600W is far more power than you need, you need around 400W+ even with overclocking. They have a 430W (and 500W) version of that same PSU, theyre pretty good.

- The Caviar Black is usually much more expensive than a normal 7200RPM hard drive and the performance boost is not really noticeable, it doesn't even exist in some cases. I'd go for a Seagate or something.

malbluff

Honorable
I've gone slightly over your £680 budget but includes better processor, better case, cooler (so you can overclock), SSD (for OS and a few main games), and better Graphics card. It can be cut back, but worth going bit over budget for, if possible.
PCPartPicker part list / Price breakdown by merchant / Benchmarks

CPU: Intel Core i5-3570K 3.4GHz Quad-Core Processor (£168.61 @ CCL Computers)
CPU Cooler: Cooler Master Hyper 212 EVO 82.9 CFM Sleeve Bearing CPU Cooler (£23.99 @ Overclockers.co.uk)
Motherboard: Asus P8Z77-M Micro ATX LGA1155 Motherboard (£83.72 @ Scan.co.uk)
Memory: Corsair Vengeance 8GB (2 x 4GB) DDR3-1600 Memory (£30.96 @ Scan.co.uk)
Storage: Samsung Spinpoint F3 500GB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive (£25.66 @ Dabs)
Storage: OCZ Vertex 4 64GB 2.5" Solid State Disk (£56.99 @ Amazon UK)
Video Card: MSI Radeon HD 7850 2GB Video Card (£149.74 @ Scan.co.uk)
Case: Antec Three Hundred Two ATX Mid Tower Case (£50.13 @ Amazon UK)
Power Supply: XFX ProSeries 450W 80 PLUS Bronze Certified ATX12V / EPS12V Power Supply (£35.99 @ Novatech)
Optical Drive: LG GH24NS90 DVD/CD Writer (£13.98 @ Novatech)
Operating System: Microsoft Windows 7 Home Premium SP1 (64-bit) (£70.36 @ CCL Computers)
Total: £710.13
(Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available.)

Mechanix_91

Honorable
Oct 31, 2012
Thanks for your advice its extremely helpful and appreciated im waiting on my current laptop being sold im expecting around £350 for it but but up to £450 so i can always go for a higher budget. @Malbluff would be able to link me a few other cases i cant say im a fan of that one

malbluff

Honorable
Most mid tower ATX cases (avoiding the really cheap rubbish), would be adequate. A lot of the cheaper ones don't have USB3.0, on front panel, but even that isn't really a big deal. The easiest way is for you to look on Amazon, and pick two or three YOU like the look of, then we can advise if one is "better". Bear in mind, generally, the more expensive cases tend to be built better, and have better ventilation.

malbluff

Honorable
Much though it erks me to say it, because they do make a lot of total rubbish, the Raidmax Aeolus looks the best, of those. The Tornado looks more like their usual rubbish. The Aeolus has plenty of vent, for more or less anything you're likely to put in it. There are a couple of minor drawbacks.
No front USB3.0. Not a big problem, you still have rear connections.
Awkward cable management.

The PSU I recommended is an excellent one, but it's not modular (there aren't any good 450w PSUs that are). Given the fact case has a side window, you want to be able to do a neat installation. Whilst not impossible, with a non-modular PSU, it takes some skill. The poor cable management options, of the case, won't exactly help. If you used a modular PSU, it would, at least, make keeping things tidy, easier. Problem is, the only good PSU, at that sort of rating, is the PC Power&Cooling Silencer MKlll 500w, which is around $20 more. If you really like case, that may be an option, otherwise, it may be better spending a little more on a better case, that didn't have those issues.
Trouble is, at the "budget end", cases either tend to be "flashy", or good quality, rarely both

malbluff

Honorable
If you are going to "mod" a case, try it before you do. You may find a fan is noisier, than you like. If you can change it for a "flashier" one that's also quieter, you've "killed two birds, with one stone". Have a look at Coolermaster cases. Their Elite range, is nothing special, but some of their Storm, HAF, and 690's are quiet good, and have a certain "look".

Mechanix_91

Honorable
Oct 31, 2012
Okay ill check them out so will this build have everything i need to build ie i wont be missing sata cables that's happened before also is 450W PSU enough because i don't want it to be going mad to keep up since i know that it ruins fairly quickly and the last question could you recommend some good Gaming keyboards and mouses im not looking to spend mega money on them though but id like fairly decent ones.