What can I do with my mishmash machine (£1000 / $1600 budget)

zazaodh

Honorable
Feb 16, 2012
My computer was originally a Dell XPS 430, but over the past few years has had some fairly major changes. As such some components are reasonably high end, while others are very lacking. To me it looks like a complete case, PSU and CPU change is required at a minimum - but feel free to suggest an almost full rebuild if necessary.

As I already have the computer working, here are the components as is;
Case: Dell XPS 430 Midi BTX
Motherboard: Dell XPS 430 G254H - Socket LGA775
PSU: Dell XPS 425W
CPU: Intel Core 2 Quad Q9400 @ 2.6GHz
GPU: NVIDIA GeForce GTX 560 1GB
RAM: 12GB DDR3 (2x 4GB, 2x 2GB)
HDD: OCZ 1TB RevoDrive Hybrid SSD (Uses PCI-Express Gen. 2 x4 interface)
HDD: Toshiba 1.5TB 7200rpm

Approximate Purchase Date: December 2012

Budget Range: Max of £1,000 / $1,6000

System Usage from Most to Least Important: Streaming high quality games in 1080p using XSplit and as such will need to be able to both play the games in high quality and stream in high quality, video rendering using Adobe Premier.

Are you buying a monitor: No, using 2x ViewSonic VX2239WM 22'' @ 1920 x 1080

Parts to Upgrade: At a minimum the case, cooling, PSU, motherboard and CPU. Possibly upgrade RAM, SLI the GPU and more.

Do you need to buy OS: No

Preferred Websites for Parts: Ebuyer.co.uk Amazon.co.uk Misco.co.uk

Parts Preferences: by brand or type: Preferably Intel CPU (i-7?), NZXT Phantom Black Full Tower case

Overclocking: Maybe, never tried before but willing.

SLI or Crossfire: Maybe, if thought necessary happy to SLI existing GeForce GTX560 (Although slot availability and spacing is an issue due to Hybrid SSD also using PCI-Express Gen. 2 x4 interface)

Your Monitor Resolution: 1920x1080 dual screen

Additional Comments: Please feel free to suggest almost anything, as the most important consideration is being able to play games in highest quality while still being able to also stream the gameplay via XSplit.
Games being played are at present; Diablo 3, Runescape, PlanetSide 2. Needs to be able to handle upcomming games on high/highest settings.
Cooling is also important as my room is often hot, yet needs to be quiet due to recording mic audio. No watercooling however please.

And Most Importantly, Why Are You Upgrading: My current machine simply struggles to handle high quality game play, let alone stream it. The processor is clearly the weakest link, however further upgrades can be carried out if deemed necessary.

KenwoodGT

Honorable
Jul 31, 2012
You can easily keep what you have and throw in a new motherboard and an i7-3770k or an i5-3570k. I doubt you need an i7. Your power supply is fine, the upgrade will actually use less power since you're going from a 95w CPU to a 77w.

zazaodh

Honorable
Feb 16, 2012
Trying to stream any modern high end game on full graphics just cripples the entire system currently and results in poor stream quality. Even trying to stream Runescape (A fairly low quality game from a graphical standpoint) on anything but minimum graphics brings the whole machine to a crawl.

Even worse, just trying to play games like PlanetSide 2 on medium quality (I realise 'nothing' can run it on ultra) results in 10-15FPS, before even trying to stream it at 1080p.

zazaodh

Honorable
Feb 16, 2012
It only struggles when I start trying to stream it at 1080 resolution at a high bitrate - my intent is to be able to stream at almost perfect quality. Currently the only way for me to do this on even RuneScape is to set the quality of the game to Low.

My intent is to be able to stream all modern games in perfect quality on high(est) graphics settings.