Sign in with
Your question

Is this a good build £1500 budget inc VAT and Delivery

Last response: in Systems
October 26, 2012 3:28:32 PM

Hi guys just a brief intro, im looking to buy a 3XS system from scan.co.uk and i was just wondering if this is a solid build that will last me a good few years, seeing as I've had my previous computer for about 5 years I figured its time for a change!

Before I order it I would like to hear your opinions on the system, bare in mind im getting it put together and delivered to me so changing all the parts will be difficult, however i have already emailed and asked to change the graphics card from an evga gtx 680 2gb and HDD from cavier green to the following below and they said it was fine.

Approximate Purchase Date: e.g.: End of this month

Budget Range: £1600 Inc VAT and Delivery

System Usage from Most to Least Important: Gaming, gaming and more gaming :D 

Are you buying a monitor: No, not at the moment but maybe in another month

Parts to Upgrade: Whole PC

Do you need to buy OS: Yes

Preferred Website(s) for Parts: Scan.co.uk

Parts Preferences:

System £79.70 3XS Z77 Performance GTX - Custom Series - Updated Sept 2012 Total (ex VAT)

Case £79.05 Corsair Carbide Series 500R White Mid Tower Gaming Case w/o PSU

PSU £111.62 1 850W Corsair Pro Series Gold HX850 Modular PSU, 80 PLUS Gold, SLI/CrossFire, EPS 12V, Quiet Fan, ATX v2.31

Motherboard £103.77 Asus P8Z77-V, Intel Z77, S 1155, DDR3, SATA III - 6Gb/s, SATA RAID, PCIe 3.0 (x16), DisplayPort/ DVI-D/ HDMI, ATX

CPU £148.15 1 Intel Core i5 3570K,1155, Ivy Bridge, Quad Core, 3.4GHz, 5 GT/s DMI, 650MHz GPU, 6MB Smart Cache, 34x Ratio, 77W

CPU Cooler £59.94 Corsair H80 Hydro Series High Performance CPU cooler, S775/1155/1156/1366/2011/AM2/AM3

Memory £26.66 8GB (2x4GB) Corsair DDR3 Vengeance Jet Black Low Profile, PC3-12800 (1600), Non-ECC, CAS 9-9-9-24, XMP, 1.5V

GPU £339.68 2GB MSI GTX 680 Twin Frozr/OC, 28nm, PCIe 3.0, 6008MHz GDDR5, GPU 1058MHz, Boost 1124MHz, Cores 1536, 2x DL DVI, DP/HDMI

Sound card £44.90 Creative Sound Blaster Recon3D PCI-E Soundcard 7.1Ch

SSD Drive £128.25 256GB OCZ Vertex 4, 2.5" SSD, SATA 6Gb/s, Indilinx Everest 2, MLC-Flash, Read 560MB/s, Write 510MB/s, 120k IOPS Max.

System Drives £63.75 1TB Western Digital WD1002FAEX Caviar Black, SATA III 6Gb/s, 7200rpm, 64MB Cache, 8ms

Overclock CPU £0.00 Optimized Overclock - 4.4Ghz - Within wider safety margins for balanced thermal & acoustic characteristics.

Optical Drive 1 £14.17 Pioneer DVR-S19LBK 24x DVD±R, 12x DVD±DL, DVD+RW x8/-RW x6, RAM x12, SATA, Black, Retail Labelflash 36787
Total

£1,200 ex VAT

Overclocking: Maybe

SLI or Crossfire: Maybe when my graphics card gets older and cant handle as well.

Additional Comments: games i play, SC2, LoL, GW2 and anything new which me and my friends decide to hop onto. Also after i buy the OS, delivery and VAT total is £1554.41 as i already have a quote from Scan.

And Most Importantly, Why Are You Upgrading: My PC is getting old and outdated and its about time i buy a new one, + a few of my friends recently got new ones and i hate being the last to load :) 

Any advice is welcomed!

Thanks!
October 26, 2012 4:42:55 PM

A good build.

I might have minor quibbles about some components:

1) Is a discrete sound card really necessary for you? Onboard HS sound is usually very good.

2) Are your electricity costs so high as to warrant the extra cost of a gold rated psu?

3) OCZ does not command a good reputation for reliability.
Read this: http://www.behardware.com/articles/862-7/components-ret...
My preference for quality would be Intel or samsung.

4) I happen to like the direct exhaust coolers that EVGA provides with their GTX680 cards. They get the hot air directly out the back of the case. Other coolers dump the heat back into the case where case cooling has to deal with it.

5) I do not like the all in one coolers like the H80.
In a well ventilated case, they are no more effective than a good air cooler.
They tend to be noisier, more expensive, and less reliable than a good air cooler like the Phanteks or noctua nh-D14.
October 29, 2012 9:28:02 AM

Thanks for the reply, just to clarify on some of my choices

1) i probably dont need a discrete sound card so i might take it out of the build, its just one of my friends recommended it, but thinking about it now i probably dont need it!

2) i was looking more into the 850W as i do plan to get SLI in the future, i wasnt really focused on the gold plated but i just figured it was a bonus?

3) Ah i really just went by the benchmarks on this site and the OCZ one scored quite high, but i didnt really look in terms of reliability so il look out for that thanks!

4) its just i read a lot of people had problems with their EVGA gtx680 but maybe they were a small minority posting it on forums?

5) This was one of 2 options given to me and as i dont know much about coolers i just thought id go with the one that sounds best! i will try ask to see if i can get the noctua n-d14 to replace it but it is pre-built so im not sure how much i can change.

if anyone has anything else to add please feel free!
October 29, 2012 12:53:38 PM

1) I am told by an expert gamer that a sound card can make a difference. Perhaps so, but you can always add one later.

2) It will take a long time to make up the price premium of gold rating with electricity savings. A plus is that the fan will hardly turn on and be quieter. But withthe wattage reserve of a 850w unit, your fan will hardly run, regatdless. On sli, here is my canned rant on that:
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Dual graphics cards vs. a good single card.

a) How good do you really need to be?
A single GTX560 or 6870 can give you great performance at 1920 x 1200 in most games.

A single GTX560ti or 6950 will give you excellent performance at 1920 x 1200 in most games.
Even 2560 x 1600 will be good with lowered detail.
A single gtx690 is about as good as it gets.

Only if you are looking at triple monitor gaming, then sli/cf will be needed.
Even that is now changing with triple monitor support on top end cards.

b) The costs for a single card are lower.
You require a less expensive motherboard; no need for sli/cf or multiple pci-e slots.
Even a ITX motherboard will do.

Your psu costs are less.
A GTX560ti needs a 450w psu, even a GTX580 only needs a 600w psu.
When you add another card to the mix, plan on adding 150-200w to your psu requirements.
A single more modern 28nm card like a 7970 or GTX680 needs only 550W.
Even the strongest GTX690 only needs 650w.

Case cooling becomes more of an issue with dual cards.
That means a more expensive case with more and stronger fans.
You will also look at more noise.

c) Dual cards do not always render their half of the display in sync, causing microstuttering. It is an annoying effect.
The benefit of higher benchmark fps can be offset, particularly with lower tier cards.
Read this: http://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/radeon-geforce-stut...

d) dual card support is dependent on the driver. Not all games can benefit from dual cards.

e) cf/sli up front reduces your option to get another card for an upgrade. Not that I suggest you plan for that.
It will often be the case that replacing your current card with a newer gen card will offer a better upgrade path.
The GTX780 and amd 8000 series are not that far off.
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
3) Do not be much swayed by vendor synthetic SSD benchmarks.
They are done with apps that push the SSD to it's maximum using queue lengths of 30 or so.
Most desktop users will do one or two things at a time, so they will see queue lengths of one or two.
What really counts is the response times, particularly for small random I/O. That is what the os does mostly.
For that, the response times of current SSD's are remarkably similar. And quick. They will be 50X faster than a hard drive.
In sequential operations, they will be 2x faster than a hard drive, perhaps 3x if you have a sata3 interface.
Larger SSD's are preferable. They have more nand chips that can be accessed in paralled. Sort of an internal raid-0 if you will.
Also, a SSD will slow down as it approaches full. That is because it will have a harder time finding free nand blocks to do an update without a read/write operation.

4) EVGA has excellent support. Check their user forums. All GTX680 cards use the same chip. They differ only in the factory overclock and cooling solution. 28nm graphics cards run cool, and I think the fancy coolers are mostly marketing and really not that effective installed in a case.

5) Unless highly overclocked with upped voltage, the 22nm ivy bridge cpu's run cool. Even a simple tower type cooler with a slow turning 120mm fan will do the job. Something like a cm hyper212 would be OK.
!