Sign in with
Your question

I hope I won´t let down my pal...

Last response: in Systems
October 14, 2012 10:14:34 PM

So,a friend of mine trusted me for building a gaming PC for him for less than 500 €.

He trusted me that I´ll pick really good parts for the money,I hope I did the right choice.
If I made something wrong,don´t judge me,I did my best.

I´m trying to help him since I have better understanding of how PCs work and what parts to buy,where you can find them cheaper,how to build a gaming PC,cable management and so on...

In the following,I will show you the parts I´ve decided to buy for him,hoping that this/his PC will be a great gaming machine.

You´re free to comment.

Remember!
I´ve bought the parts looking to save money as well,if possible.

Motherboard:
ASUS m4a78t-e: 39 €

CPU:
AMD PHENOM II X6 1045T:100 €

RAM Memory:
6 GB 1066Mhz Patriot DDR3 running CL7(I´ve chose this because of the latency that uses)-30 €

Graphics card:
Sapphire Radeon HD 7850 OC 2GB GDDR5: 190 €

CPU Heatsink:
Thermaltake contac 39: 40 €

That´s all for now,the remaining parts will be taken from his old PC,the HDD,fans and so on.

So,what do you think of the build?
Is this good enough?
Or I will let him down? :) 

Thanks in advance!

More about : hope wont pal

a b 4 Gaming
October 14, 2012 11:38:32 PM

Your pal may become disillusioned with you.

The Phenom X6 is a poor choice for a gaming pc.

The reason is twofold.
1) Few games use more than 2-3 cores, making half of the 6 cores irrelevant.
2) Intel sandy and ivy bridge cpu's have a more sophisticated architecture that produce 15-30% more work per clock cycle.
Here are some benchmarks that illustrate that. Even a cheap dual core G860 would be better.
http://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/gaming-fx-pentium-a...

A G2120 will sell for about the same price, or a i3-3220 ivy bridge cpu is not much more.
Since a non "K" intel cpu will not be overclocked, any supported 1155 based motherboard will do.

The 7850 is a very good choice for a graphics card. It is the most important component of a gaming pc.

6gb would be ok, no game by itself will use more than 2-3gb. But to get dual channel operation, a 8gb kit of 2 x 4gb is normal today. And, intel cpu's are not sensitive to speed or timings. Any ddr3 1600 ram will be fine.
!