From Scratch, £500 Budget ($800)

PleasantKenobi

Honorable
Sep 26, 2012
The details:

Approximate Purchase Date: ASAP

Budget Range: £500, or $800

System Usage from Most to Least Important: Relatively high end gaming, as well as University work, browsing the web etc etc

Are you buying a monitor: No

Do you need to buy OS: No.

Preferred Website(s) for Parts: eBuyer, novatech or overclockers. British sites essentially. Fast dispatch times. Ideally ordering from one place will make the whole process quicker and less painful.

Parts Preferences: Keen on Intel processors, and GPU I seem to hear good things about ATI in the budget sphere.

Overclocking: Maybe, but no mostly.

SLI or Crossfire: No.

Additional Comments: I am a newbie to fresh builds. I have done some upgrading in the past and dipped my toe into hardware news now and again. So my knowledge is basic, knowledge of current hardware trends is all but gathered from two friends and a few google searches.

Why Are You Upgrading: My faithful computer of four years gave up on me last weekend. After identifying that it would cost me a few hundred pounds to replace the Mobo and/or processor I have simply decided to 'upgrade'. And by upgrade, I mean start a fresh.

How the potential build looks:

http://www.ebuyer.com/lists/list/63593

Essentially, I have done a little research, and this is what I have come to so far.

I am currently under budget, which is great. I want to be able to possibly upgrade the processor in a couple of years to something more advanced/further up the heirarchy of gaming processors, such as an i5 or i7. Will that be possible?

What I really want to know is, do you think the build is ok/good for the money? Is there any compatability or reliability issues with the chosen hardware? Have I missed anything glaringly obvious such as motherboard not fitting that case? Is there anything that seems wrong etc. etc.Any and all help will be greatly appreciated.

malbluff

Honorable
The only thing that really should be changed is motherboard. You can't overclock, with that board. Whilst it would be usable now, would limit your options for expansion, and not even a particularly good board, for now. If you want a board, that will allow you to overclock, a future processor, an ASRock Z75 is a good budget choice. If you are happy not to have overclocking, for the future, one of numerous H77 motherboards would be better than B75.
Whilst Corsair PSU's are all reasonable quality, that range is not their best. You don't need 600w, and would suggest XFX 550w is a good choice.

PleasantKenobi

Honorable
Sep 26, 2012
Thanks for the info. I have taken your advice and switched to the Z75 board, and the XFX Powersupply. Also had to change the case because th old one is out of stock and my girlfriend has put her say in about how the omputer has to look on the outside.

Any further information or suggetions will be much appreciated.