Jazz Candy

Honorable
Sep 15, 2012
Hi all,

First of all thank you for taking the time to view my thread, this is my 1st ever PC build and ive been researching into it for weeks now using this site, so i decided whats the better place to sign up & double check i got my facts right? :)

Why am i building my own pc? ive done upgrades on my current pc, including installing a processor, PSU, changing of a case ect, and i think i have what it takes & i just want the enjoyment / satisfaction at the end of it. now the intros done il post the template from the stick :)

Approximate Purchase Date: e.g.: when ever i finalise my choices, moneys in the bank waiting!

Budget Range: around £1100 give or take

System Usage from Most to Least Important: Gaming / silent / surfing internet / adobe suite products / home video editing

Are you buying a monitor: No

Parts to Upgrade: All of it! except i have a 1 year old 1tb western digital black il be keeping, the rest is going to my younger brother :)

Do you need to buy OS: No i have a copy of windows 7 home premium 64bit

Preferred Website(s) for Parts: amazon / scan / ebuyer.co.uk ( im really open to any sites, just as long as they have solid reviews & good service )

Location: I live in kent, United Kingdom ( south east ) nearby computer shops are pc world & currys, which are huge prics so dont worry about local suppliers, il order all online )

Parts Preferences: by brand or type : Im pretty strongly going with Intel after reading this sites reviews, and Nvidea because i like the driver updates ect vs my experience with amd in the past.

Overclocking: Yes ( VERY carefully & slowly, it will be my first time. )

SLI or Crossfire: No

Your Monitor Resolution: 1920x1080

Additional Comments: um il be playing Guild wars 2 alot, and i play battlefield 3 with the BF, were also getting borderlands 2 when it comes out & to be honest i enjoy playing many new games and would like to play on high settings.

And Most Importantly, Why Are You Upgrading: (e.g. I'm having trouble running game X or my PSU broke)

Im going to list some parts ive found & enjoy, but i want to start off by saying, im open to any changes, maybe ive selected something stupidly expensive, when i could get better cheaper, please tell me!

one thing im not to keen to change tho, is my choice of case, The Cooler-master Storm Trooper, ( £120 )
http://www.coolermaster.co.uk/product.php?product_id=6757

For the power unit, ive gone with a Tx 650 by corsair as it has great reviews (£65 )
http://www.corsair.com/power-supply-units/tx-series-power-supply-units/enthusiast-series-tx650-v2-80-plus-bronze-certified-650-watt-high-performance-power-supply.html

for ram, ive chosen corsair vengeance 16gb pack, 1600
http://www.ebuyer.com/248759-corsair-16gb-ddr3-1600mhz-vengeance-memory-cmz16gx3m4a1600c9

for the graphics card i think the EVGA 660ti is the best option , its got great reviews and is £100 lower then the 670ti
http://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B008YINJK8/ref=asc_df_B008YINJK89683285?smid=A3P5ROKL5A1OLE&tag=googlecouk06-21&linkCode=asn&creative=22206&creativeASIN=B008YINJK8

an SSD for installing windows onto it & maybe a couple of games, ( if thats the wrong way to use a ssd let me know please! )
corsair nova 2 60gb ( i read bad things about the much cheaper OCZ ? )
http://www.ebuyer.com/369179-corsair-60gb-nova-2-ssd-cssd-v60gb2a

CPU cooler : I like the darkrock 2 pro by BEQuiet!, i read its dead silent, kinda fits the red / black insides i was aiming for & its not a bad price.
http://www.bequiet.com/en/cpucooler/309

Ok for the CPU & Motherboard, i am completely confused.com , basically im confused about sandy bridge vs ivybridge, there seems to be pros and cons for both, apparently since i want to over-clock the cpu to 4.5ghz ( first time OCer here, not even going to try go higher, might not even go that high ) sandy bridge is 1. easier 2. doesnt produce so much heat so is more stable long term.

The reviews ive read seems a toss up between i5 2500k & the i5 3750k
price wise, theres only a £10 difference

motherboard wise i really like the look of the asus IV rampage extreme ( sandy bridge ? ), because it comes with that OC key which would help me alot as its my first time. its a hefty £290 but thats about the price of a extreme V which is ivy bridge?

Anyway i could sit here umm'ing and errr'ing dragging this post on longer, but i think il wait for advise on the cpu / motherboard area.

also while im asking so much, just to be a little cheeky, regarding thermal paste, use what comes in the box or buy new? i seem to read mix feelings on other threads ect..

Im sure if youve made it this far, ive probably made you face-palm a few times as to how naive i am, im not going to pretend i have all this figured out, but ive tried my best to study it.

however im under no illusion my 2-3 weeks of scrolling through pages has put me anywhere close to what you guys know and i really appreciate you taking the time to read my post & would very much appreciate any advise / feedback / solutions / alternatives / smacks to reality you can dish up!

Jazz Candy

Honorable
Sep 15, 2012
oh sorry forgot to mention something asked of me, regarding rebates, i dont have a clue what that is as we dont have it in the UK, but if it means VAT & tax then its £1100 including VAT & tax, sorry i didnt include in the 1st post

metal orient

Distinguished
Mar 17, 2011
Put this together on aria.co.uk
(other sites to look at include; dabs.com and cclonline.com, but i find aria offers the best whole package)

Crucial m4 256GB 2.5" SATA-III Solid State Hard Drive #44260
Sony Optical 24x DVD Writer, AD-5280S-0B, SATA, Black, OEM #46574
Fractal Design Define R3 Titanium V2 Midi Tower Soundproof Case #48408
be quiet! Dark Rock Pro Dual Fan Quiet CPU Cooler #43588
Intel Core i5-3570K 3.40GHz (Ivybridge) Socket LGA1155 Processor (77W) - Retail #49755
GIGABYTE GA-Z77X-D3H Intel Z77 Socket 1155 DDR3 PCI-Express Motherboard #49021
Corsair Vengeance Low Profile 8GB (2x4GB) DDR3 PC3-12800C9 1600MHz Dual Channel Kit (CML8GX3M2A1600C9) #45511
MSI Power Edition GeForce GTX 670 OC 2048MB GDDR5 PCI-Express Graphics Card #50381
550W be quiet! DARK POWER PRO P10 80PLUS Gold Modular Power Supply #50250

Total price (inc P&P + VAT) £1070.69

From what i understand you're only looking for the tower and not any peripherals like mouse/ keyboard so they are not inlcuded.

I would say go with Ivy bridge as it's the latest technology and while it does run (because of the smaller manufacturing process not because it produces more heat) it does run faster than sandybridge.

DarkRock Pro 1 because there is not a great difference between the 2 versions and this was £15 cheaper

Put in a Gigabyte Motherboard but i do wonder if an ASUS P9Z77-V may be a better choice as from what i hear the UEFI is nicer with ASUS.

16GB of low profile RAM, because why not?

I also put in a 256GB SSD because at your budget a large SSD makes most sense and as the size increases so does the performance. It should fit your windows install and quite a few games while your HDD can keep all your files and media.(i'm looking at putting one in my PC at some point, although a Samsung 256GB 830 may be a better choice as it has a £20 rebate atm
http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B005OK6VLS/ref=ox_sc_sfl_title_1?ie=UTF8&smid=A3P5ROKL5A1OLE)

Fractal design R3, great case and should help keep things quiet.

GTX 670 will last you a bit longer than the 660Ti and fits within the budget.

BeQuiet PSU is a bit of an overspend but a very solid unit and 550W is more than enough for a single GPU build.

[EDIT]

No I don't think you'll need a different TIM, you can buy some other but the difference between what you'll get and the best is pretty minimal (a few degrees).

A split basket from dabs.com and aria.co.uk (you'd save £40):

Sony Optical 24x DVD Writer, AD-5280S-0B, SATA, Black, OEM #46574
be quiet! Dark Rock Pro Dual Fan Quiet CPU Cooler #43588
MSI Power Edition GeForce GTX 670 OC 2048MB GDDR5 PCI-Express Graphics Card #50381
550W be quiet! DARK POWER PRO P10 80PLUS Gold Modular Power Supply #50250
Intel Core i5-3570K 3.40GHz (Ivybridge) Socket LGA1155 Processor (77W) - Retail #49755
Total £655.00

Samsung 256GB 830 Series SATA 6Gb/s 2.5" SSD Basic Kit
ASRock Z77 Extreme 4 S1155 Intel Z77 DDR3 ATX
Crucial 8GB (2 x 4GB) Ballistix Sport DDR3 1600MHz CL9 1.5v 240pin (times 2)
Fractal Design Define R3 Titanium Grey Mid-Tower USB 3.0 Case
Total (inc VAT) £396.18

Final Price £1031.18 (but with the £20 SSD rebate taken off so initial price is £1051.18

spat55

Distinguished
CPU: i5 3570k OEM £170

GPU: GTX 670 £300 OR Radeon 7970 £330

CPU COOLER: Noctua NH-D14 £60

RAM: Corsair Vengence 2X4GB £35

PSU:

CASE: UP TO YOU! say £80

HDD:WESTERN DIGITAL BLACK CAVIAR 1TB £75

SSD: OCZ 120GB £60

spat55

Distinguished

This is better than mine :( but go for a Noctua NH-D14 OR Hyper evo 212

What I would of said but couldn't be bothered to put so much detail in it.

Jazz Candy

Honorable
Sep 15, 2012
wow thank you guys so much, Especially Metal Orient that was really helpful and insightful :), So in terms of overclocking being made more user friendly, is the extra £100 roughly for a asus extreme series or the evga ftw series just not worth it?

i have read guides on overclocking and il be keeping a few next to me during the process, but i thought the benefit of those boards was to make it #"dummie" proof ?

Mind you.. The extra SSD space & other specs you pumped out with the monet saved from board is pretty mouth drooling! and the 670ti i didn't think would be possible in my budget

Jazz Candy

Honorable
Sep 15, 2012
just to add tho, i probably will add the extra £40 and get the CM storm trooper, just because ive watched so many videos ect and kinda got my heart set on it :)

metal orient

Distinguished
Mar 17, 2011

I wouldn't say it was worth it as the price/performance is really out of whack.
They don't make it dummie proof they just have a lot of features and are very high quality.
I really would recommend the SSD and GPU over a costly motherboard, you'll really notice the difference.

Cases are personal choices so by all means go for the CM Trooper

Jazz Candy

Honorable
Sep 15, 2012

Thank you again, ive decided to go with your advise on the set up, its really good vs what i came up with, bit of a shame about the motherboard being blue tho as i kinda liked the red / black theme :p, but i can live with that, not gonna pay the extra £40 for the window panel anyway haha!

how do i select you as best answer ect?

metal orient

Distinguished
Mar 17, 2011
Yeah pity about the colour scheme but performance is king in my book.

Not sure how you select best answer, I think you have to set up the thread as a question to be able to rather than a discussion.