Sign in with
Your question

Upgrading Rig on £200 budget

Last response: in Systems
September 14, 2012 9:10:49 AM

Hi,

I am considering upgrading some of my current build.

I currently have;

MOBO: ASUS P5b Mobo
CPU: E6600 Core2Duo
RAM: 3GB DDR2 Ram

I don’t game on my PC at all, I mainly remote in from around the house, and stream media to other devices.

I have some video editing projects to work on so thought it might be time for an upgrade.
Ideally, I wanted to try and keep the socket 775, but thought this would be uneconomical and only delay the need to get a new mobo and DDR3 in the future.

Based on a budget of around £200, I found the following;

MOBO: Gigabyte GA-970A-DS3 Socket AM3+ for £50.21
CPU: AMD FX-6200 for £101.54
RAM: 2x4GB 2000Mhz Corsair Memory XMS3 for 48.96

I don’t believe I would need to change any other kit as my PSU should last a while longer, the case is fine etc.
My GFX card isn’t great (a GeForce 8500 GT 1GB), but I hope this would be sufficient as Im not planning on doing any gaming.

I’m also looking at a small pressie to my self of an SSD

SSD: OCZ 120GB Solid 3 SSD SATA-III (LINK) £54.99

I guess my questions are the following;

1) based on a budget of 200, does my approach seem reasonable?
2) Are the components I have selected fit for purpose? Would you change anything?

Any other comments welcome

Many thanks

Alex
September 14, 2012 9:27:51 AM

I don't really think your PC needs an upgrade.It's not like you're doing anything really demanding on it.
September 14, 2012 9:34:20 AM

For the budget, I'd say it makes sense.
Related resources
September 14, 2012 10:42:34 AM

Thanks Guys, looks like 2 different opinions.

So would my current rig be ok with editing Full HD video?

What kind of a "boost" would the new specs be over the existing? Are we talking Night & Day, or barely noticable?

Thanks again!
September 14, 2012 11:14:45 AM

Ram will make the biggest difference to your pc, that and the solid state drive. If you install your OS on the SSD, you find the boot time is significantly reduced. Read/write speed is also higher on a sdd, you will see a difference when downloading files to sdd etc. They're really the best and only upgrades you will need. Depending on your motherboard, the ram price will fluctuate - ddr ram is increadibly expensive because no-one makes it anymore, ddr2 and ddr3 are cheap as chips. If you want ddr3 ram, you need to make sure it is compatible with your motherboard before buying.

Hope this helps xD
September 14, 2012 12:29:30 PM

trollface said:
Ram will make the biggest difference to your pc, that and the solid state drive. If you install your OS on the SSD, you find the boot time is significantly reduced. Read/write speed is also higher on a sdd, you will see a difference when downloading files to sdd etc. They're really the best and only upgrades you will need. Depending on your motherboard, the ram price will fluctuate - ddr ram is increadibly expensive because no-one makes it anymore, ddr2 and ddr3 are cheap as chips. If you want ddr3 ram, you need to make sure it is compatible with your motherboard before buying.

Hope this helps xD

When downloading he would only notice a difference when going from one SSD to another SSD as internet speeds are still slower normally compared to what a SSD can do!
September 14, 2012 5:25:05 PM

Ok, so the SSD sounds worth doing - Im assuming the make and model is good value?

Regarding the other bits, looking at DDR2 prices, it seems like it might not be cost effective.

I dont mind upgrading, i quite fancy it actually. for the budget is there any better option?
September 14, 2012 5:55:09 PM

There probably isn't really a better option than the one you have suggested. OCZ is a good brand that is quite alot of gb for the price ;)  Go for the ssd for now, re- install your operating system onto it and see how you get on. If it still isn't quick enough for you, consider swapping some parts out for newer ones.
!