Sign in with
Your question

Upgrading/ building a system for £450

Tags:
  • New Build
  • Systems
Last response: in Systems
September 11, 2012 10:48:43 PM

Hi, my name is Shane and currently i'm in the process of ordering new parts for my old gaming pc, just wanted your take on the parts i am ordering and i am in a budget which you can see below.

Approximate Purchase Date: 20/9/2012

Budget Range: £400-£450

System Usage from Most to Least Important: Games, Movies

Are you buying a monitor: No

Parts to Upgrade:

CPU- From Athlon II X3 450 to Phenom II X4 965 BE
GPU: From Sapphire HD 6570 1GB TO Sapphire HD 6870 1GB
PSU: From WinPower 450w to Corsair CMPSU-600CXV2UK Builder Series 600W Power Supply
Motherboard: From Gigabyte GM-M68MT-S2 V1.3 to Asus M5A78L-M/USB3 Motherboard
HDD: From 466GB Seagate ST350041 3AS SCSI Disk Device (ATA) to SanDisk SDSSDX-120G-G25 120GB Extreme SATA III 6Gb/s 2.5in Internal Solid State Drive plus original drive. (SSD Boot Drive, Seagate fro games ect.)

I was also considering going the Intel side with an 13-2120 processor and wanted your verdict, i don't want this thread becoming into an AMD/Intel fan boy test, yes i have an AMD processor and graphics card but it was because it was a low price begginer gaming pc which i want to update.

Also considering of upgrading the case to CiT Vantage Type-R Gaming Case with HD Audio, 4 Fans, Card Reader and No PSU - Black, instead of the generic one i have now because of air flow ect.

Do you need to buy OS: No

Preferred Website(s) for Parts: Amazon UK, Or any UK based companies

Parts Preferences: As specified above but still deciding over CPU.

Overclocking: Maybe

SLI or Crossfire: No

Your Monitor Resolution: 1360x768

Additional Comments: GTA:IV, Flight Simulator X, RailSim 3, London Underground Simulator, Medal Of Honor, Company of heroes, Battlestations pacific.

And Most Importantly, Why Are You Upgrading: Want more processing power from both CPU and GPU, want to be abl;e to play games at higher resolution smoothly.

Thanks for reading, i appreciate your comments :D 

More about : upgrading building system 450

September 11, 2012 11:30:25 PM

See the only good thing about the ivybridge i3 is the better integrated graphic processor and for the extra money only to get a 10% increase, i don't know. The 7850 looks tempting, especially with the gains in performance, and only £10 more than the 6850 on amazon. Think my mind has changed on the gpu now. Thanks simon12 :)  The only thing i dont get is the i3 uses hyperthreading whereas the 965 be doesnt, and the 965 be you can overclock. Four physical cores vs 2 physical cores and two virtual cores, what's better?
Related resources
September 11, 2012 11:40:38 PM

Even the 1st sandy bridge i3 2100 is better than the 965 unless you get it over 3.7GHz (which it can get to fairly easily) with the ivy bridge one having a higher clock and a small ipc improvement the 965 will only keep up with a 4-4.2GHz clock (which is normally around its max) so I suggest you go with the out of the box low power consumption one rather than 1 that performs the same but is overclocked to the max and using 3-4 times the power. Also the cost of a cooler to get it past 4GHz makes it priced closer to a low end i5 which is better still. Much as I loved AMD CPUs they have just fallen to far behind vs sandy bridge it was almost an option ivy though not spectacular just pushes it out altogether.
If you keep your current motherboard though then get a 965 and save some cash there is no reason to buy a new motherboard just to get an i3.
September 11, 2012 11:50:25 PM

True, i'm not sure on overclocking yet, im still reading up ect as i don't want to blow myself up!
Yeah the low power comsumption is one of the points i've forgotten about, my motherboard is a relic which needs to be replaced, i think its one of the reasons i cant get better frames on the games i play, but it might be a cpu and mobo bottleneck, hence wanting the change.
At the moment i keep on switching between the two though, my minds never made up!
The i3 sounds like a safer bet though, better performance with the option to upgrade in the future. With the 965 be upgrade and new motherboard bot come upto £129.46, which is the price of just the ivybridge i3 though :( 
!