Computer reboots when playing games ¿PSU or GPU?

symphonicmind

Distinguished
Sep 17, 2010
Hi to all guys,
Well my problem is basically what it says on title...my computer is rebooting randomly while playing any game.
The reboot ocurrs during the first 0-20 minutes of playing.

I have built two different systems except for two components, the PSU and the GPU and the problem shows with any of the two systems.

My GPU is EVGA 560 TI
My PSU is Corsair HX850

I have had this 2 pieces of hardware for a little bit more than a year and the problem started less than a month ago. It first happened with SC2 but now it happens with any other game. Have tried Diablo 3, WOW and Crysis 2.

Right now I dont have acces to any other PSU or GPU =(

Any thoughts what could it be or how can i detect which component is causing the problem without having to buy another PSU and GPU?

Thanks a lot

symphonicmind

Distinguished
Sep 17, 2010
Hi again,
Is it possible to connect 2 PSUs to my system?
I have a generic PSU that I could use for mobo, hard disk and all the components, and for the GPU use the Corsair 850. (My generic PSU doesnt have connectors for PCI express and I belive the maximum wattage is 400 so is not possible to do a full test with that)

Thanks

symphonicmind

Distinguished
Sep 17, 2010
Yea I know it should,
I have read in many posts that the main problem is the PSU, more than overheating...and the psu has been working perfectly...
is 85C a normal temperature in a VGA? (under load)

halcyon

Splendid

You haven't installed any new drivers or Windows patches during the time you've noticed this problem? I'd be more inclined to think along those lines....

symphonicmind

Distinguished
Sep 17, 2010
well, I notice this problem since SC2 latest patch with the new interface, that was the first time my computer ebooted in the middle of a game...then I installed the last nvidia driver and i though the problem was solved but err.

Yesterday I tried in a basically new pc this 2 components and installed again the last nvidia driver and then I installed a 6 months old driver but the problem is the same =(

symphonicmind

Distinguished
Sep 17, 2010
Today a friend of mine told me to disable or uncheck the "System failure" "Automatically restart" option of windows 7 so I may see a blue screen or some error related. Thats what im going to do as soon as i arrive home and as you suggest, check the event logs.

Im not sure the temp of the card, but today I also will do that.

dasaybz

Honorable
Aug 27, 2012

I don't think unchecking that option would make you see blue screen errors. They would come up anyways.

tapko

Distinguished
Sep 7, 2009
My computer experience from that was a bad memory stick. Took me a long time to find it. At first it seems that resetting the memory worked...then after a few days it would reboot when it got under load...then boom reboot.
It would reboot after running about 15 mins. Then after running an application/game it would reboot.
I would have sworn it was my power supply unit and was about to change it when I found out that it was my memory sticks.
I took some working memory off a back up computer....then it worked fine.
I think I had a power surge that went thru my cheap surge protector. I soon changed out my PSU ....still using the computer after 2 years....(as back up to the back up)
Hope it is something simple...good luck...

(of-course this is just my experience)

giovanni86

Distinguished
May 10, 2007

85c idle seems really high. I normally try to keep my GPU's around 30-50c idle. Being its a 560 i don't think that to be normal for a idle temp, i would use MSI afterburner or EVGA precision or some other tool to adjust your fan speed to 60% or more and see if temps go down. But as some have stated could be a memory issue, could be whole a lot issues, i say go from what they've stated with memtest and so forth running tests. I would also check CPU temp's. Hopefully you get this resolved swiftly, cheers! ;)

symphonicmind

Distinguished
Sep 17, 2010
Its 85 at full load... around 40 idle...
ill try right now prime 95 and see what happens...

Anyway Im 70% sure is the power supply...my theory is because with the system that needs a little bit more power because of the mobo, and has 2 hdd and more fans, the computer reboots almost immediately when starting crysis 2 campign....
on the other pc with less power needed I can play some minutes and then the pc reboots...
Tomorrow I will borrow a friends Corsair PSU 450 ... is not 850 but I have read it can be enough to run this VGA...but for now i will run prime 95 for about 6 hours...

symphonicmind

Distinguished
Sep 17, 2010
I guess I will RMA my Corsair HX850 =(

Played Crysis 2 with the Corsair VX-450 for about 45 minutes with no issues.
Incredible how a 450 PSU can handle my system while the 850 cant
I will try to play more time tomorrow just to be 100% sure.

symphonicmind

Distinguished
Sep 17, 2010
So yes,
1 more point to the statics of random reboots due to a faulty PSU.
To bad I "invested" to a reliable high end PSU and only lasted 1.5 years =(
Good that is like 7 years warranty, but still annoying to RMA the product. I will have to buy my friends Corsair VX-450 at $25 so I can use my computer during the RMA process.

TRENDING THREADS