Sign in with
Your question

Your opinions on this £1,000 computer configuration

Last response: in Systems
August 28, 2012 11:55:18 AM

Hi. I'm planning on building my first PC but I want some peoples opinions before I go ahead and start buying the chosen hardware and assembling it. I've put weeks of research into it and I'm fairly confident with the outcome.

To pay for it all I'm going to have to sell a ton of stuff I own including my laptop and borrow a couple of hundred of my dad. Also, I'm going to have to build this computer gradually in a month or so since I can't afford to buy everything in one go.

The other thing I'd like people to tell me is what are the absolute essentials to have a working PC which is able to do simple tasks like browse the web because I'd like a basic functioning PC before I sell my laptop.

Chassis
Zalman Z77 Plus w/ all cooling fans

PSU
Best Value Storm 900W w/ 120mm fan
Corsair GS600 80 PLUS Bronze Certified

Motherboard
Asus Sabertooth Z77 S1155 DDR3

CPU
Intel i7-3770K S1155
Intel i5-3570K S1155

RAM
Corsair Vengence 16GB 1600MHz DDR3

GPU
EVGA GeForce GTX 660 Ti 2GB 980MHz SC

SSD
OCZ Technology Vertex 4 256GB 6Gb/s 2.5”
Samsung 830 256GB 6Gb/s 2.5”

OS
Windows 7 Ultimate

If you think I should change parts please let me know and why. Thanks ;) 
August 28, 2012 12:17:02 PM

The most basic things you'll need are (assuming you have peripherals: screen, mouse etc):
cpu
z77 motherboard
ram
hard drive
psu
os
You can get away without a case if you're willing to risk it being a little exposed.

What do you plan to use this for?
August 28, 2012 12:22:40 PM

metal orient said:
The most basic things you'll need are (assuming you have peripherals: screen, mouse etc):
cpu
z77 motherboard
ram
hard drive
psu
os
You can get away without a case if you're willing to risk it being a little exposed.

What do you plan to use this for?

Thanks for the reply. I'd be using it mainly for full graphical gaming with steady fps since I've got to a stage on my laptop where I'm not able to play some games on lowest settings without lagging. So I'm wanting to make a massive upgrade and hopefully this PC will last me a good few years before upgrading it a bit.
Related resources
a b B Homebuilt system
August 28, 2012 12:23:11 PM

intended usage? gaming? video editing/rendering? photoshop?

never heard of Best Value PSU's. unless you wanna risk frying everything off, you're better off playing it safe with a quality 80+ certified Corsair, Antec or Seasonic. and you definitely don't need 900W unless you plan to get another 660ti or two and run it in SLI, OC everything like mad, and make several future add-ons like a water cooling loop. 600W will do just fine, 650W tops.

if you only plan to play games at most, any of the i5 will do, and you don't need 16GB of RAM as 4-8GB will be fine. beyond that, like 3D rendering, an i7 and maybe more RAM will have it's use.

OCZ vertexes and any SSD with a SandForce controller are kinda frowned upon here due to it's poor reliability, with the Samsung 830 or non SandForce Intel SSDs being a better alternative
August 28, 2012 12:33:17 PM

Hazle said:
intended usage? gaming? video editing/rendering? photoshop?

never heard of Best Value PSU's. unless you wanna risk frying everything off, you're better off playing it safe with a quality 80+ certified Corsair, Antec or Seasonic. and you definitely don't need 900W unless you plan to get another 660ti or two and run it in SLI, OC everything like mad, and make several future add-ons like a water cooling loop. 600W will do just fine, 650W tops.

if you only plan to play games at most, any of the i5 will do, and you don't need 16GB of RAM as 4-8GB will be fine. beyond that, like 3D rendering, an i7 and maybe more RAM will have it's use.

OCZ vertexes and any SSD with a SandForce controller are kinda frowned upon here due to it's poor reliability, with the Samsung 830 or non SandForce Intel SSDs being a better alternative

Thanks. I think I'll switch to the i5-3570K and take a look at 600W PSU's and alternative SSD's.

:D 
August 28, 2012 1:00:56 PM

All from aria.co.uk:

MICROSOFT Windows Home Premium 7 SP1 64-bit EN 1pk - OEM [GFC-02050]
Zalman Z11 Plus Black Midi Tower Window Gaming Case
Corsair Vengeance Low Profile 8GB (2x4GB) DDR3 PC3-12800C9 1600MHz Dual Channel Kit (CML8GX3M2A1600C9)
GIGABYTE GA-Z77-D3H Intel Z77 Socket 1155 DDR3 PCI-Express Motherboard
Intel Core i5-3570K 3.40GHz (Ivybridge) Socket LGA1155 Processor (77W) - Retail
550W OCZ ZS Series 80PLUS Bronze Power Supply
OCZ Vertex 4 128GB 2.5" SATA-III Solid State Hard Drive
MSI Power Edition GeForce GTX 670 OC 2048MB GDDR5 PCI-Express Graphics Card
1TB Samsung HD103SJ SpinPoint F3 SATA-II 3.5" Hard Drive
Arctic Cooling Freezer i30 Quiet CPU Cooler

Total price (incl P&P and VAT): £987.80

Gave you home premium as ultimate is expensive
same case as it's a good cheap case I usually put into my builds
low profile ram so you don't have interference with cpu cooler.
good cheap motherboard, you won't be able to SLI but your PSU isn't big enough for 2 GTX 670's anyway.
3570k is an obvious choice if you want a more future proof build as you can overclock it later.
solid PSU which will happily power the GTX 670 and 3570k
Contrary to what Hazle said OCZ's latest "4" series SSD's ,based on marvells indilinx controller, are very good and much more reliable than the "3" series.
GTX 670 will keep you gaming at max settings at 1080p for sometime i'm sure.
Added in an HDD for storage.
And a CPU cooler so things are a bit quieter.
!