Sign in with
Your question

£2300+ Build - Suggestions and Comments please

Last response: in Systems
August 24, 2012 6:52:44 PM

Hi Guys.

New on this forum, but I've known and read tomshardware for years and years.

I've been of the whole 'Having a dedicated gaming rig' thing for a couple of years now. But since I've moved to the UK now, I've decided to build myself a proper gaming / overclocking rig to play a bit around.

I made a video explaining the bits and pieces i expect to go in it. I am by no means an expert, but i do have a good understanding of how to build and assemble a computer. Although, ANY advice is good, so if you've got a suggestion, please dont hesitate to leave a comment!

Part 1
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RVZ5bOpOfm4

Part2
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nz7kHH7QlvI

a breakdown of the components:

Mouse RAT 7
Keyboard Cyborg STRIKE
Case Corsair Obisidan 800D
Motherboard ASUS Maximus V Formula (W/O the ThunderFX)
CPU Intel i3770K Ivy Bridge
GFX GTX 670 OcUK Custom Watercooled Card (AquaGraFX block)
SSD OCZ Vertex 4 256gb
PSU Corsair AX850
CPU WaterBlock Koolance CPU-370SI
Cooling control card Koolance TMS-205
Pump Koolance PMP450 (not the S model)
Radiator Koolance 3x120mm
Monitor Dell U2410

What I still need to decide on:
Fans
Ram
Tubing
Fitttings

It's my first time involving a community in a build like this, and the first time that I've made a video like this, so please bear with me on that part.

No component is unchangeable as i see it, but if you think you've got a better suggestion, please leave a good explanation as to why.

I would especially want some good suggestions on motherboard alternates, as the Formula board doesn't have thunderbold (but it has a watercooled chipset, and good overclocking capabilities!)

And lastly, if you just read through my build without watching the videos (which is a bit long, I know) and feel that my build is a bit overkill, I just want to have some fun =) That's all... I do this cus' i think it is good fun to sit at night, read reviews, improve your component list, do funny little tweaks, like adding the TMS 205 controller and such... So there you go!

Sincerly
Chris
August 25, 2012 3:03:21 PM

I recommend you go over to the Water Cooling Forums for your water cooling concerns. We all specialize in different areas. Water cooling isn't necessarily my area of expertise; however, I will offer you advice on your parts list.

If you all you plan on doing is gaming, I recommend you drop that i7 down to the i5 3570k. Due to the poor utilization of hyper threading, the i7 actually loses performance in some games in comparison to the i5.

You could save some money by getting the Gigabyte z77 UD5H motherboard instead of the asus maximus.

I don't typically recommend OCZ SSDs. I'd grab the Samsung 830 series 256gb SSD rather than the Vertex 4.

Other than that, everything else looks good. If no one answers your Water cooling questions here, just head on over to the water cooling forums. Good luck!
August 25, 2012 3:14:18 PM

DeusAres said:
I recommend you go over to the Water Cooling Forums for your water cooling concerns. We all specialize in different areas. Water cooling isn't necessarily my area of expertise; however, I will offer you advice on your parts list.

If you all you plan on doing is gaming, I recommend you drop that i7 down to the i5 3570k. Due to the poor utilization of hyper threading, the i7 actually loses performance in some games in comparison to the i5.

You could save some money by getting the Gigabyte z77 UD5H motherboard instead of the asus maximus.

I don't typically recommend OCZ SSDs. I'd grab the Samsung 830 series 256gb SSD rather than the Vertex 4.

Other than that, everything else looks good. If no one answers your Water cooling questions here, just head on over to the water cooling forums. Good luck!

I'll check the WaterCooling forums about the last missing parts then.

The reason i went with an i7 is that I'm not only going to do gaming, I will also do some more processor heavy tasks once in a while. That was why i went with the i7.

With regards to the SSD, would the 830 series perform better as a system disk or just allround?

I haven't looked into the gigabyte board at all, what is the feature-set compared to the Formula?

Thanks for your reply!

Related resources
August 25, 2012 3:49:47 PM

The Asus board has one extra Sata 6GB/s port. Not sure if it's worth the extra $100 to you or not.

If you plan on doing video rendering and other CPU intensive tasks, then definitely grab the i7. :) 

As for the Samsung SSD, it's an all around better SSD. It's highly reliable and fast.
August 25, 2012 3:54:28 PM

DeusAres said:
The Asus board has one extra Sata 6GB/s port. Not sure if it's worth the extra $100 to you or not.

If you plan on doing video rendering and other CPU intensive tasks, then definitely grab the i7. :) 

As for the Samsung SSD, it's an all around better SSD. It's highly reliable and fast.

The reason i choose the board was because of the possibility of the watercooled VRM and the UEFI bios overclocking sharing network. Thought it might come in handy when you are not that used to O/Cing.
August 25, 2012 5:15:40 PM

watercooling the vrm doesnt do too much and its certainly not worth the extra 100 dollars
. id stick with air cooling but watercooling can be your thing

the switch 810 is probably a better choice for the case

http://pcpartpicker.com/uk/p/fCo5

get the psu from overclockers. the one listed currently is a older model

!