Sign in with
Your question

1600€ / 1250£ gaming built, need opinions!

Last response: in Systems
August 23, 2012 6:26:23 PM

Hello,

This is going to be my first build, I got a couple of friends to help me but I would still like to have some opinions about my configuration.

GIGABYTE Geforce GTX 670 OC (429€)
Intel® Core™ i7-3770K (326€)
GIGABYTE GA-Z77MX-D3H (129€)
Hitachi HDS721010DLE630 1000GB 7200rpm (82€)
Corsair Cooling Hydro Series H80 (105€)
Thermaltake Armor Revo (149€)
Thermaltake Smart M650W Bronze (79€)
Corsair 16 GB DDR3-1600 Quad-kit (Light-Retail, CML16GX3M4A1600C9B, Vengeance LP, XMP) (95€)
Microsoft Windows 7 Home Premium 64-Bit (99€)
LiteOn IHAS124 DVD-WRITER (25€)
TP-LINK TL-WN722N Wifi Stick (13€)
Logitech Media Keyboard K200 (18€)

I already have a gaming mouse and monitor. I still have some questions on how to mount the H80 in the Thermaltake Armor Revo. I would like to mount the H80 in the rear exhaust. Standard there is a 140mm fan in the rear but there are holes for 120mm so I think it will fit, can someone confirm this? Do you have some extra tips for me? ;) 
Let me know what you think! :) 
August 23, 2012 6:34:14 PM

Which website are you buying from?
Related resources
August 23, 2012 6:58:32 PM

im going to get you the prices and the component list in uk pricing

http://pcpartpicker.com/uk/p/dFhD

the psu should have a grey fan and not the green one. pcpartpicker isnt very percise in the uk section.
August 23, 2012 7:30:04 PM

If all you're doing is gaming, this build is a bit overkill.

I suggest dropping the i7 3770k down to the i5 3570k. This should save you around $100 which you could then put into something like an SSD (I highly recommend it).

You don't necessarily need 16gb of RAM; 8gb will do. However, if you plan on doing some light video editing for youtube (gameplay, commentaries) then you may as well go ahead and grab it. It'll help.

I also don't typically recommend thermaltake. Their products are ok, but I feel you could do a bit better at your price range. Try this psu... PC Power and Cooling Silencer MK III 600W

Take a look at this case... Corsair Carbide Series 500R

I understand you're from belgium; therefore, these links are merely for reference.
August 23, 2012 7:30:23 PM

TheBigTroll said:
im going to get you the prices and the component list in uk pricing

http://pcpartpicker.com/uk/p/dFhD

the psu should have a grey fan and not the green one. pcpartpicker isnt very percise in the uk section.

Same song, same old dance...

Every single time, Western Digital is better than Seagate. Western Digital comes with a 5yr warranty, Seagate comes with a 1 yr. This should be a no brainer if budget allows.

I prefer Asrock z77 Extreme4 over that gigabyte but there both good boards. Your build would be perfect if you would just use a 1TB caviar black, then I could stop posting under you.
August 23, 2012 7:36:51 PM

DarkOutlaw said:
Same song, same old dance...

Every single time, Western Digital is better than Seagate. Western Digital comes with a 5yr warranty, Seagate comes with a 1 yr. This should be a no brainer if budget allows.

I prefer Asrock z77 Extreme4 over that gigabyte but there both good boards. Your build would be perfect if you would just use a 1TB caviar black, then I could stop posting under you.

ive been using seagate for a long time and i have no problem with either. if you want the extra warranty, you can go ahead and pay more for it. tbh, id either get the caviar blue or the seagate since the hard drive is only supposed to store stuff and not be the boot drive so the extra speed from the black drive is not that useful.

i also chose seagate since they do have slightly faster speeds than the black
August 23, 2012 7:37:31 PM

i cant find the mk3 in europe....
August 23, 2012 8:13:14 PM

TheBigTroll said:
ive been using seagate for a long time and i have no problem with either. if you want the extra warranty, you can go ahead and pay more for it. tbh, id either get the caviar blue or the seagate since the hard drive is only supposed to store stuff and not be the boot drive so the extra speed from the black drive is not that useful.

i also chose seagate since they do have slightly faster speeds than the black

Caviar Blacks are the fastest 7200rpm drives on the market. 20% faster than the Caviar Blue 7200rpm, and faster than the Seagate 7200rpm.

Only suppose to store stuff? Duh dude! What do you want to loose: Your operating system or your 100GB of family photos and videos? You want your HDD to be your most protected computer asset, come on now. Loosing an OS takes 1.5 hours to fix if you have an SSD. Getting back a lifetime of family photos is impossible.
August 23, 2012 8:18:39 PM

Just off the top of my head, Benchmarks.

Quote:
The Caviar Black is in a tricky position, then. Sure, it's the fastest 7,200-RPM drive on the market, but it's also a little pricey and probably too loud for many enthusiasts' desktop systems.

I will agree there is nothing wrong with the Caviar Blue, and it is still a better option than Seagate.
August 23, 2012 9:04:23 PM

Everybody thanks for your answers, I like the Thermaltake Armor Revo so I think of keeping that but I still need a answer for where I need to mount the h80.
For the hdd I got a max. budget of 100€ but I have no idea which hdd to take.
I plan on buying a ssd in the near future.
I'll keep the 16gb because i'm active on youtube and do some light video editing. You guys are right that the i5 is more than enough for gaming but i would still like to have the i7 for that heavy multi tasking.
For the psu what do you guys think about the Cooler Master GX650?
August 23, 2012 9:23:52 PM

You'll want a 750W PSU for a GTX 670 build for the possibility to add a second one in the future. One of these (spend the extra 5€ if you want it to be modular).
http://www.alternate.be/html/product/Voedingen/Corsair/...

I would get the Noctua NH-D14 instead of the H80. Better cooling for a lower price.
http://www.alternate.be/html/product/CPUs_Koelers/Noctu...

I'd suggest this HDD.
http://www.alternate.be/html/product/Harddisks_3,5_inch...
August 23, 2012 9:58:44 PM

nafoni said:
You'll want a 750W PSU for a GTX 670 build for the possibility to add a second one in the future. One of these (spend the extra 5€ if you want it to be modular).

I would get the Noctua NH-D14 instead of the H80. Better cooling for a lower price.
http://www.alternate.be/html/product/CPUs_Koelers/Noctu...

I'd suggest this HDD.
http://www.alternate.be/html/product/Harddisks_3,5_inch...

I'm not planning on fitting a second videocard in the future so 650w should be enough I think.
The NH-D14 is indeed a better cooler for the money but I don't like the look of such a big aircooler, so I have no problem paying a bit more for watercooling.
The hdd you recommend looks good, I will probably take that one.
Again thanks for your reply :) 
August 23, 2012 10:08:17 PM

mercedes260 said:
Everybody thanks for your answers, I like the Thermaltake Armor Revo so I think of keeping that but I still need a answer for where I need to mount the h80.
For the hdd I got a max. budget of 100€ but I have no idea which hdd to take.
I plan on buying a ssd in the near future.
I'll keep the 16gb because i'm active on youtube and do some light video editing. You guys are right that the i5 is more than enough for gaming but i would still like to have the i7 for that heavy multi tasking.
For the psu what do you guys think about the Cooler Master GX650?

mercedes260 said:
I'm not planning on fitting a second videocard in the future so 650w should be enough I think.
The NH-D14 is indeed a better cooler for the money but I don't like the look of such a big aircooler, so I have no problem paying a bit more for watercooling.
The hdd you recommend looks good, I will probably take that one.
Again thanks for your reply :) 

Your both wrong, the Hyper 212 is the best for your money. All 3 coolers will give you the exact same results. None will allow you to overclock your computer higher than the other.

16gb isnt bad, I have it. 8gb seems to be the sweet spot, but that is normally what the budget calls for. i7 cannot overclock as high as the i5, so for anything other than heavy rendering, the i5 will give you better performance.

PSU - Corsair makes a good PSU, I like OCZ personally. Cooler Master I cannot say off the top of my head, but I think people like bashing it. Check the reviews, if they are good go for it. Generally any decent 600w PSU will do you right.
August 23, 2012 10:11:14 PM

Oh and if your heatsink breaks/fails, the Hyper 212 or the DH-14 wont have coolant sprayed all over your nice expensive stuff :pt1cable: 
August 23, 2012 10:23:01 PM

DarkOutlaw said:
Oh and if your heatsink breaks/fails, the Hyper 212 or the DH-14 wont have coolant sprayed all over your nice expensive stuff :pt1cable: 

Someone here is not a big fan of watercooling :D 
August 23, 2012 10:25:39 PM

DarkOutlaw said:
Your both wrong, the Hyper 212 is the best for your money. All 3 coolers will give you the exact same results. None will allow you to overclock your computer higher than the other.

16gb isnt bad, I have it. 8gb seems to be the sweet spot, but that is normally what the budget calls for. i7 cannot overclock as high as the i5, so for anything other than heavy rendering, the i5 will give you better performance.

PSU - Corsair makes a good PSU, I like OCZ personally. Cooler Master I cannot say off the top of my head, but I think people like bashing it. Check the reviews, if they are good go for it. Generally any decent 600w PSU will do you right.

I'm not planning on heavy overclocking the processor, the i7 just feels 'right'
August 23, 2012 10:26:18 PM

Watercooling, imo, is more suited for people that care more about looks than price/performance. Go watercooling if you wish, but personally I would do as he said and go Hyper 212 and NH-D14.
August 23, 2012 10:35:46 PM

Take a trip over to that side of the forums and look for 4Ryan6's set up. It is absolutely insane. He puts two frozen 1 galleon jugs of distilled water in his custom resevior that he created from a coleman cooler!
August 23, 2012 10:35:57 PM

mercedes260 said:
Someone here is not a big fan of watercooling :D 

Oh nononononono. I am a big fan of water cooling, I just wish I could afford it. H100/80/60 <- That isn't water cooling. That's like...a kid putting a playing card in the spokes of his BMX so it sounds like a Harley. Water cooling is gonna cost you $200-$400 and involves a resevior that you have to refill. Real water cooling is fantastic, wanna be water cooling..is well..like being a 'new kids on the block' fan.
August 23, 2012 10:44:41 PM

yeah. if you go watercooling, you better go full out or else there isnt too much of a point.

as for the WD black vs the new seagate barracuda 1tb, can you find me a benchmark?

oh and for the hard drive storing data, yeah all my family photos are physical copies. then i just generally store it on a random usb stick or dump it onto my hard drive. not to mention, im going to use a SSD only system. i dont store any large files
August 24, 2012 12:47:04 AM

TheBigTroll said:
yeah. if you go watercooling, you better go full out or else there isnt too much of a point.

as for the WD black vs the new seagate barracuda 1tb, can you find me a benchmark?

oh and for the hard drive storing data, yeah all my family photos are physical copies. then i just generally store it on a random usb stick or dump it onto my hard drive. not to mention, im going to use a SSD only system. i dont store any large files

Well those of us in the digital age have no physical copies. I have well over 4000 photos, and 200 home movies that I Keep on my RAID 1, and have another back up on an external hard drive. Hell even professional photos now such as Life Touch use digital photography. We are friends with a person that contracts with them so we always get the 'negatives' on a flash drive for free.
August 24, 2012 12:50:37 AM

ok then. now can you find me a benchmark showing the seagate barracuda being slower than the WD black drive. make sure that the seagate is the 1tb 64mb version since that is the one im talking about
August 25, 2012 3:28:18 AM

Google it, and benchmarkings aside, WD is better quality, and backs it with a lot longer warranty.
August 25, 2012 12:30:35 PM

Personal preference.
August 25, 2012 1:01:47 PM

mercedes260 said:
I'm not planning on heavy overclocking the processor, the i7 just feels 'right'

If all you're doing is gaming, the i7 will actually decrease performance in some games. Games do not utilize anything above 4 cores. They do well to use two. Also, the hyperthreading feature causes the i7 to run a few degrees hotter than the i5. Figured I'd give you my two cents worth. :) 
August 25, 2012 1:25:56 PM

very true on the i7.

as for the WD thing, from here, its totally opinion based
!