Need Advice on £500 Gaming PC, £600 max.

CPU: AMD Phenom II X4 965 Black Edition 3.4GHz Quad Core Processor =£72.01

Motherboard: Asus M5A97 Motherboard (Socket AM3+, 4800MT/s, DDR3, ATX, True USB 3.0 and SATA 6Gb/s Support) =£63.74

Memory: Crucial Ballistix BLS2CP4G3D1609DS1S00CEU 8GB (4GB x2) DDR3 Memory Kit =£36.21

Storage: Seagate Barracuda SATA 6Gb/s 1 TB Hard Drive ST31000524AS =£59.83

Video Card: XFX ATI Radeon HD6850 Graphics Card PCI-e 1024 MB GDDR5 Memory =£127.65

Case: Coolermaster HAF 912 Plus Case =£64.98

Power Supply: Corsair 600W CX Series V2 PSU - 6x SATA 2x PCI-E =£53.43

Optical Drive: Samsung SH-222AB - Disk drive - DVD±RW (±R DL) / DVD-RAM - 22x/22x/12x - Serial ATA - internal - 5.25" - black =£14.95

Total = £492.80

This is my build so far, the system would be predominantly used for gaming however I would also use it for browsing the Internet and watching movies/ videos etc. I would be looking to play most games on high settings. This PC will replace my old laptop so I need a monitor and cheap keyboard and mouse as well. If you have any suggestions regarding better parts or cheaper prices, please leave a comment. I will extremely appreciate all advice as I have never built a computer before and only have basic knowledge of computers. Thanks :)
9 answers Last reply
More about advice 500 gaming 600 max
  1. What are your opinions on this monitor? Is it a good monitor for the money? I'm sure I would be able to find it cheaper elsewhere if I looked.
  2. ben631 said:
    What are your opinions on this monitor? Is it a good monitor for the money? I'm sure I would be able to find it cheaper elsewhere if I looked.


    That should be a fine monitor for your use. That build looks pretty good. If you can get the 6870 that will be a better GPU option for the same price.
  3. Ok, thanks for the advice. I'll look into getting the 6870. Do you think I will need a 1 TB hard drive, or will I be ok with a 500GB one?
  4. ben631 said:
    Ok, thanks for the advice. I'll look into getting the 6870. Do you think I will need a 1 TB hard drive, or will I be ok with a 500GB one?


    You don't have to get one initially - you can always add drives as your needs increase.
  5. g-unit1111 said:
    You don't have to get one initially - you can always add drives as your needs increase.


    Ok, one last question: is it better to get the dual fan 6870 GPU? What are the benefits of a dual fan? Thanks for all your help :)
  6. ben631 said:
    Ok, one last question: is it better to get the dual fan 6870 GPU? What are the benefits of a dual fan? Thanks for all your help :)


    Doesn't really make that much of a difference between the two as far as cooling goes.
  7. Better PSU for a similar price:
    XFX ProSeries 550W Core Edition (£50 @ Dabs, Amazon)
    http://skinflint.co.uk/624026

    It is fairly likely that a graphics card with two fans will be quieter than one with only one fan.

    You can get the graphics card you linked cheaper at ebuyer:
    http://www.ebuyer.com/391772-xfx-hd-6850-1gb-ddr5-dual-dvi-dual-mini-displayport-hdmi-pci-e-hd-685x-zcfc
  8. Silvune said:
    Better PSU for a similar price:
    XFX ProSeries 550W Core Edition (£50 @ Dabs, Amazon)
    http://skinflint.co.uk/624026

    It is fairly likely that a graphics card with two fans will be quieter than one with only one fan.

    You can get the graphics card you linked cheaper at ebuyer:
    http://www.ebuyer.com/391772-xfx-hd-6850-1gb-ddr5-dual-dvi-dual-mini-displayport-hdmi-pci-e-hd-685x-zcfc


    Thanks for the help, much appreciated :)
  9. Have a crack with this website.....

    http://pcpartpicker.com/

    Finds you the cheapest parts and is easyyyyyyy :)
Ask a new question

Read More

New Build Systems