Sign in with
Your question

First build advice for gaming rig (budget £1800)

Last response: in Systems
a b 4 Gaming
August 8, 2012 7:28:36 PM

I am trying to put together a first decent gaming build, and would appreciate some advice.

Approximate Purchase Date: September (assuming I can source parts)
Budget: £1800 (2700$), but can be a LITTLE flexible
System Usage: Gaming (BF3,Hawx,Dirt3), Photo/Video editing, surfing
Are you buying monitor: Yes 1920x1080. Need 2 eventually, for video work, but one GOOD one, for now.
Parts to upgrade: Everything.
Do you need to buy OS: Yes
Preferred parts site: Any reliable site with UK outlet.
Parts preference: Tend to favour Asus and Corsair, but open to suggestions.
Overclocking: Yes, but as have no experience, want mobo/setup to make the "basics" easy. Time to get adventurous, when I know what I'm doing.
SLi/Crossfire: Possibly in the future, not now.
Monitor: 1920x1080 (required)
Additional Comments: As it's first build, want reasonably straightforeward build (eg space in case, cable management etc). Would like to go for proper water cooling, but maybe not in this build. May be good if case will take it, for future upgrade. Basically want to get everything at good quality (and expandability) to last me a while, if necessary.
Why upgrading: Retired old Dell desktop a couple of years ago, and have been managing with laptop since.

Many thanks.
a b 4 Gaming
August 9, 2012 11:47:56 AM

TheBigTroll said:
here you go. the noctua nh-d14 is more than enough for most overclocks out there. custom water cooling is the next level

http://pcpartpicker.com/uk/p/eahq

Thanks for that, sounds good. Wish someone would make a decent air cooler, that wasn't such a monstrosity. As I get more into video work, may need to add RAID, but, at moment will just up hard drive to 2TB. I take it the WD is still good at that size. Possibly will also get bluray writer. Is LG about the best, or Lite-on?
Related resources
a b 4 Gaming
August 9, 2012 12:46:34 PM

they are all about the same. i have one that burns M-disc as well since it was just as cheap as a regular one.

all good air coolers are like that. they have to be huge

really doesnt matter what drive you use
August 9, 2012 6:01:40 PM

My gaming rig was about the same amount of money(including monitor, headset and keyboard etc.)

In Win Dragon Rider Case
Intel i7 2600k OC to 4.6GHz stable.
Asus P8Z68-V Pro Motherboard
OCZ ZX 1000W PSU
Asus nVidia GTX 570 DirectCU II CPU
OCZ Vertex 4 SSD 256GB
WD Caviar Green 2TB HDD
Lite iHas ODD
Corsair Vengeance 16GB RAM (4x4GB)
Corsair h100 with 2 Cougar Hydro Fans (to replace the rubbish ones that came with it)
Asus VE278Q Monitor (27")
Razer DeathAdder Mosue
Roccat Arvo Keyboard
Razer Goliathus Mousemat

Windows 7 Home Prem 64 bit OEM

I chose the H100 as i wanted to overclock.
I also wanted water cooling, but didn't want to risk it as this is my 2nd build-i am still relatively new to computer building.
This h100 may appeal to you as it coems prefilled and all you have to do is install it-no leak tests needed!
Also, my parents said no (yes, i'm 14)
a b 4 Gaming
August 9, 2012 6:11:59 PM

OC to 5GHz said:
My gaming rig was about the same amount of money(including monitor, headset and keyboard etc.)

In Win Dragon Rider Case
Intel i7 2600k OC to 4.6GHz stable.
Asus P8Z68-V Pro Motherboard
OCZ ZX 1000W PSU
Asus nVidia GTX 570 DirectCU II CPU
OCZ Vertex 4 SSD 256GB
WD Caviar Green 2TB HDD
Lite iHas ODD
Corsair Vengeance 16GB RAM (4x4GB)
Corsair h100 with 2 Cougar Hydro Fans (to replace the rubbish ones that came with it)
Asus VE278Q Monitor (27")
Razer DeathAdder Mosue
Roccat Arvo Keyboard
Razer Goliathus Mousemat

Windows 7 Home Prem 64 bit OEM

I chose the H100 as i wanted to overclock.
I also wanted water cooling, but didn't want to risk it as this is my 2nd build-i am still relatively new to computer building.
This h100 may appeal to you as it coems prefilled and all you have to do is install it-no leak tests needed!
Also, my parents said no (yes, i'm 14)

h100 is good but is loud. i got a d14 because it was cheap, quiet, and performs near a h100. (i dont see you getting 5ghz!!!!)
(your psu was overkill. a i5 3570k performs better than a i7 in games)
im 14 too
a b 4 Gaming
August 9, 2012 6:48:52 PM

Yes, if I was tight on budget, would make do with i5. Use Photoshop, and may get CS6, for editing, which makes use of all 8 threads in i7
Keyboard is something I do need to check out. Always had conventional keyboard. May be good to get one with gaming keys, but don't REALLY know what is best configuration. I'm not much of a touch typer, but think I'd get lost with huge number of extra keys. I also need one I can ACTUALLY TYPE ON.
a b 4 Gaming
August 9, 2012 7:15:36 PM

i suggest a mechanical keyboard like the rosewell r9000 series. pick the one with the correct switches. i use blue but they are loud, clicky but very very tactile. red switches are quiet, liner (feels like regular keys) and no tactile feedback. brown switches are in the middle
August 10, 2012 2:42:14 PM

TheBigTroll said:
h100 is good but is loud. i got a d14 because it was cheap, quiet, and performs near a h100. (i dont see you getting 5ghz!!!!)
(your psu was overkill. a i5 3570k performs better than a i7 in games)
im 14 too

thats y i replaced the fans w/ cougar hydro's- they r really quiet.

Also i want to run sli when i have saved up in the future hence psu!

(overclocked @ 4.6, not 5, 5 is just my profile name!)
a b 4 Gaming
August 10, 2012 4:13:37 PM

dude, im was joking about 5ghz

if you ask me, i would have gotten the noctua in the first place. if you complain about the colour, get a phanteks heatsink. performs just as well but come in a ton of colours
August 23, 2012 4:44:22 PM

TheBigTroll said:
dude, im was joking about 5ghz

if you ask me, i would have gotten the noctua in the first place. if you complain about the colour, get a phanteks heatsink. performs just as well but come in a ton of colours

also there is a 240mm led fan in my case, the d14 is too tall to fit in my case, and does not give my enough clearance for the heatsinks on my ram.
!