New Build - £600 - Open to opinions

MashedAnimal

Honorable
Aug 14, 2012
Approximate Purchase Date: By the end of August

Budget Range: 600 not including shipping but can't go much more

System Usage from Most to Least Important: Games, encoding movies, streaming and general

Are you buying a monitor: I have a 37LG600 I would like to hook up. Resolution goes up to 1920x1080 and a 23” monitor as well depending on where I put it

Parts to Upgrade: Most if not all

Do you need to buy OS: No Linux is fine

Preferred Website(s) for Parts: UK based are best (Scan / Amazon and the like)

Parts Preferences: After reading up I think Intel seems the way to go unless someone says I'm not going to be able to get what I want. Have used Intel and AMD before in a build but that was about 10 years ago.

Overclocking: Probably

SLI or Crossfire: Probably

Your Monitor Resolution: As above

Additional Comments: Building this to keep for the next two years. I doubt I will be upgrading anything in that time. Im coming back to PC gaming from the Xbox. I would like to have a crack at World of Warcraft, new Counter Strike and Black Ops 2 when it hits. I would like to add some lighting and I really like the look of the case I have added below and would like to have a running colour so keep the motherboard and other components black so as not to put off the scheme.

And Most Importantly, Why Are You Upgrading: Old PC is dying and I fancy building a new one. I would like the option to overclock but will stay stock until I can build up a bit of cash for cooling stuff

Intel i5 2500k (£167) or 3570k (£176)seem highly recommended
Intel CPU Core i5 3570K Quad Core IvyBridge Processor Retail 

I like this style of motherboard as it doesnt have the blue RAM slots
ASRock Z77 Pro 4 S1155 Intel Z77 ATX Ivybridge Ready Motherboard 

I really like this case unless someone can suggest another one. Like I said I want a theme. I guess I could have the total black one and change the colour to suit
NZXT Phantom 410 Black with Orange Trim Mid Tower Case 

Finally this seems well recommended in what I have read
XFX HD 6950 DD Cooled AMD Radeon Graphics Card - 2GB

Nw333

Honorable
Jun 24, 2012
Imo, Linux isnt really good in games. (just my opinion.)
Id get your current list but with a 7850 gpu. (performs better and consumes less power.)
Edit:nvm. 7850 already suggested lol.

billgates8889

Distinguished
Aug 3, 2011
I personally own a 7850 and it overclocks like a beast. The performance matches a 580 when overclocked to 1.2 ghz. However, if you want more overclocking headroom, then I suggest you buy a Powercolour PCS + 7850 and Arctic Twin Turbo II. Reason for choosing a PCS + is because they bin their chips or in other terms, cherry pick. Since your going to be playing WoW, CS and BLops 2, the 7850 is going to be relatively future proof. Just wait a couple of months for the price to drop and crossfire your cards.

MashedAnimal

Honorable
Aug 14, 2012
Thanks for the replies. I will add the 7850 to the build. Does anyone have any experience with AS Rock Z77 Extreme 4 as a motherboard or can someone suggest a better one. I want it black really as I dont like the blue of the Gigabyte boards.