£150-£330 Gpu, optical drive, headset, (possibly an ssd)

DavidTJ

Distinguished
Aug 7, 2009
Hi, I am wanting to upgrade my 3 year old rig so having started out looking at just a new graphics card it has spiralled slightly, I'm not sure if this is the appropriate place or not, but since it was a few across the board purchases this seemed the most appropriate.

My current build is below, I have then just copied across the stickied template

Screen: BenQ G2220HD 22 inches 1920x1080
Case: Coolermaster Haf 922 + Noctua NF- P12 120mm fan
CPU: I7 920 with a scythe mugen 2 cooler
Motherboard: x58 Pro-e
Ram: 3x 2gb Crucial ddr3 1333mhz
PSU: Corsair 750w TX
GPU: Saphire radeon 4650 1gb
Hard Drives: Western Digital Caviar Green 1TB, Hitachi 1tb
Operating System: Windows 7 Home Premium

Skip to bottom for brief look

Approximate Purchase Date: either in the next few days or late august

Budget Range: Started out as £150 for a graphics card, then went to £250 with replacement dvdrw and headset now possibly up to £330 including ssd

System Usage from Most to Least Important: Gaming, watching movies, surfing the internet

Are you buying a monitor: NO

Parts to Upgrade: GPU, optical Drive, possibly storage drive and peripherals (headset)

Do you need to buy OS: No

Preferred Website(s) for Parts: not to bothered though atm have looked at mainly exlipse computer and overclocker.co.uk (brought my build from probably 5+ suppliers when I built it looking at consolidating between 1 or 2 tops this time)

Parts Preferences: none

Overclocking: Maybe

SLI or Crossfire: No

Your Monitor Resolution: 1920x1080

Additional Comments: Would prefer quieter side but doesn't especially matter have a very open case atm which I don't want to replace, games I play atm are starcraft 2, Diablo 3, shogun 2 tw.

I'm thinking about upgrading to get faster and better quality gaming, im also looking at getting into Mechwarrior Online when it comes out, while i have no doubt my ATI 4650 will play it and many other games for a year or two more it wont play them particularly well.
I also want to get more into on-line gaming again so will be upgrading my internet from a very lousy 2mb to 30mb hopefully by mid august.

Ive researched a bit into graphics cards and headsets, and briefly looked at ssds and optical drives.

Graphics wise I found sub £150 to be fairly disappointing, the 560ti was the best but that was barely less than £150 and for good cards more, other than that it was all sub £100 really with the 7770 or 6xxx or the 550ti. Which is why i looked into the 7850. I am tempted to wait and see what the nvidia 660 is like and what it does to prices but I did that with my original build and waited 3 years instead of 3 months to upgrade.

Saphire 7850

xfx 7850 core

Headset wise I wanted a max of £70 but preferabbly £50 or less, research wise I found that headsets arent great untill you go to a sennheiser pc360, and you should always just buy headphones and a separate mic, however since the good microphone the modmic isnt available until late august and would take a week+ to ship to uk and will probably be around £25 -£30 I decided to disregard this excelent advise (especially as it seems that investing £200-£300 plus is failry normal with a good sound card the heaphones etc)

Focusing back in on headsets the ones that seemed to stand out are the razer chariachas, steelseries siberia v2 and corsair vengeance 1500, I read about some issues with the razers build quality and with the fact all of them but especially the razer are overpriced in uk I focussed on the latter two

Steelseries Siberia v2

Corsair Vengeance 1500

Optical drives i just put whatever was cheapest in, since I juts wanted to replace my dead drive and while bluray is nice I generally download movies and tv shows now

Samsung dvd drive

LiteOn dvd drive

So overall the totals are
Overclockers £255.36 with next day shipping.

Eclipse computers £252.49 with 3-5 day shipping

SSD wise a brief glance at the most recent best buy guide and a desire to have 90-120gb min led me to

120gb Samsung ssd 830
£85 with mounting bracket

120gb Mushkin Chronos
£83.64 with mounting bracket

So thanks for reading through this long thread, I just wanted to include as much detail as possible.

In Brief
Should I buy AMD 7850 now or wait until nvidia 660 comes out to see if it shakes up prices?
Is an ssd worth it to upgrade my build?

mrbeanladen

Distinguished
Jan 16, 2012
I recommend the 7850 but I don't know nothing about the 660, not even the price even though people say it's around 300 or something
and why are you getting a sound card?

DavidTJ

Distinguished
Aug 7, 2009
Yes its a shame theres not more info. To be honest the card itself would be out of my price range i imagine, though i am tempted to wait and seeif the 7850 drops in price at all

As for sound card im not getting one atm as i think £50+ (for a good card at least) is too pricy when im not too sure whether i care about the quality enough

ryanwyvill1

Honorable
Jun 29, 2012
For the headset I can personally vouch for the SteelSeries one. It has great sound quality, my friends say I am crisp and clear when I talk, it has one of them Metal things over the top so it stays snugly on your head and over your ears. Finally it has a detachable mic so say you just want to listen to some music you can just unplug it and use the headset as normal headphones.

mrbeanladen

Distinguished
Jan 16, 2012

and if you want something without any kind of microphone or other stuff just simply a pair of good headphones I recommend you get some sennheisers, I have some cheap 429 but the sound is amazing... they advertise it as being light on bass but if you turn bass high in an audio player your ears start to hurt and your head's pounding its amazing

ryanwyvill1

Honorable
Jun 29, 2012
yeah but then you have to get a mic and the cheap desktop ones <£25 tend to pick up an amazing amount of background noise like my firend bought this decent sony one thinking it was a good deal as sold by the salesman at pc world took it home and he is in the attic and you could here his mum and dad talking downstairs when chatting to him