Sign in with
Sign up | Sign in
Your question

Making New PC for £350

Last response: in Systems
Share
July 7, 2012 11:16:05 PM

So my friend asked me to make a new low-mid gaming PC but he is on a tight budget (£350) and I am wondering if anyone could help me find the best deal, preferably with a dedicated graphics card (Or if the APU is worth getting)

I already have a spare PSU, windows, case and CD drive so this is excluded in the price.

Any help would be much appreciated (but PLEASE refrain from using American sites. I reside in the UK and am just looking for a good deal rather than good parts.)

More about : making 350

a c 109 U Graphics card
July 7, 2012 11:33:46 PM

Not possible.
July 8, 2012 12:30:57 AM

amuffin said:
Not possible.


MoBo £42
APU £96
HDD £50
RAM £43

case+PSU+CD drive i already have.

=£250

Unless I'm missing something very crucial? It seems very easily possible just by looking for 5 mins.
I kknow that i've just picked the cheapest about, but i have no clue on what makes certain products reliable or not (such as are the APUs reliable or are they just bad?).


http://www.novatech.co.uk/products/components/motherboa...
http://www.novatech.co.uk/products/components/processor...
http://www.novatech.co.uk/products/components/harddrive...
http://www.novatech.co.uk/products/components/memory-pc...
Related resources
a c 109 U Graphics card
July 8, 2012 12:32:07 AM

Windows?

Also, what is your PSU?
July 8, 2012 12:36:14 AM

http://www.tomshardware.co.uk/forum/629-40-gaming-build...

I was thinking of making one for £400 but have decided against it now, however if you downgraded a few of the specs would this work?

http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/df-hardware-introduci...

This article may also prove useful to you however no os is included in that price so it's more like £370 however as you have some parts it should still come within budget.

edit: as for the gpu i think that it is a must if you are gaming as inbuilt graphics normally are not that good for gaming.

July 8, 2012 5:49:21 AM

Just save your money, or this may be a good solution; the Lenovo IdeaPad U400. Really controversial though, over on newegg its on sale for about 500 USD. Its very capable for just a laptop. (Mind you I dislike laptops)
July 8, 2012 7:55:42 AM

Its not going to happen if you need a copy of Windows. If you have a handy copy of Windows try this

AMD Bulldozer FX-4100 Black Edition 3.60GHz
http://www.cclonline.com/product/68159/FD4100WMGUSBX/CP...

Asus M5A78L-M LX Socket AM3+ Motherboard
http://www.cclonline.com/product/70208/M5A78L-M-LX-V2/M...

4GB Corsair Desktop 1333MHz DDR3 Memory Kit
http://www.cclonline.com/product/35910/CMV4GX3M2A1333C9...

Seagate Barracuda 500GB Hard Drive
http://www.cclonline.com/product/66223/ST500DM002/Hard-...

XFX Pro 450W Power Supply Unit
http://www.cclonline.com/product/55411/P1-450S-XXB9/Pow...

Samsung 16X SATA DVD-ROM Drive
http://www.cclonline.com/product/42546/SH-D163C/BEBE/Op...

CiT 2206 Black Midi Case
http://www.cclonline.com/product/45656/2206B/Cases/CiT-...

AMD Radeon HD 6850 1GB Graphics Card
http://www.cclonline.com/product/80222/NoMfgCode/Graphi...

£343.37

There is a £10 cashback on the CPU that you send off to claim which would total it to £333.37

*edit* just re-read the thread if the PSU, case and DVD drive you have are suitable then you can fit windows in your budget.
a b U Graphics card
July 8, 2012 8:54:41 AM

Quote:
MoBo £42
APU £96
HDD £50
RAM £43

case+PSU+CD drive i already have.

=£250

Unless I'm missing something very crucial? It seems very easily possible just by looking for 5 mins.
I kknow that i've just picked the cheapest about, but i have no clue on what makes certain products reliable or not (such as are the APUs reliable or are they just bad?).


http://www.novatech.co.uk/products/components/motherboa...
http://www.novatech.co.uk/products/components/processor...
http://www.novatech.co.uk/products/components/harddrive...
http://www.novatech.co.uk/products/components/memory-pc...


you really don't want to put DDR2 in that Mobo :) 
Moto
July 8, 2012 9:39:36 AM

wr6133 said:
Its not going to happen if you need a copy of Windows. If you have a handy copy of Windows try this

AMD Bulldozer FX-4100 Black Edition 3.60GHz
http://www.cclonline.com/product/68159/FD4100WMGUSBX/CP...

Asus M5A78L-M LX Socket AM3+ Motherboard
http://www.cclonline.com/product/70208/M5A78L-M-LX-V2/M...

4GB Corsair Desktop 1333MHz DDR3 Memory Kit
http://www.cclonline.com/product/35910/CMV4GX3M2A1333C9...

Seagate Barracuda 500GB Hard Drive
http://www.cclonline.com/product/66223/ST500DM002/Hard-...

XFX Pro 450W Power Supply Unit
http://www.cclonline.com/product/55411/P1-450S-XXB9/Pow...

Samsung 16X SATA DVD-ROM Drive
http://www.cclonline.com/product/42546/SH-D163C/BEBE/Op...

CiT 2206 Black Midi Case
http://www.cclonline.com/product/45656/2206B/Cases/CiT-...

AMD Radeon HD 6850 1GB Graphics Card
http://www.cclonline.com/product/80222/NoMfgCode/Graphi...

£343.37

There is a £10 cashback on the CPU that you send off to claim which would total it to £333.37

*edit* just re-read the thread if the PSU, case and DVD drive you have are suitable then you can fit windows in your budget.


I would not go for the FX 4100, the FX series processors have poor per core performance and gaming performance is just terrible. He would be better off with a dual-core pentium/celeron that that processor!
a c 272 U Graphics card
July 8, 2012 9:57:26 AM

This topic has been moved from the section CPU & Components to section Systems by Mousemonkey
July 8, 2012 10:27:05 AM

Intel Pentium g620 or even Celeron g530
H61 motherboard
AMD radeon hd 6850(MSI R6850 are very cheap for only about £83-£90)
Generic 320 OR 500gb hdd
the case is up to you You can get cheap £10 ones that look decent however make sure you remember that the edges are sharp
find the cheapest ddr3 1333 cl9(your cpu can only handle 1066 however it will take the timings down)Make sure it has warranty at least 1 year preferably life time warranty.
July 8, 2012 10:31:37 AM

GamingRigga said:
I would not go for the FX 4100, the FX series processors have poor per core performance and gaming performance is just terrible. He would be better off with a dual-core pentium/celeron that that processor!


Show me some proof that a celeron is better rather than unbackedup bullshite bombast............ FYI Toms chart rates it same as a pentium it then rates the 4170 which the 4100 can be clocked to 2 places higher than the pentiums.

While I never normally advocate FX, as Phenom II is cheap and better, with the cashback offer on right now that FX4100 costs less than any Phenom, i3 or indeed some of the Pentiums. As the OP is building on a shoestring budget I think its a good buy in this case his Graphics card is going to be his limiting factor anyway.
July 8, 2012 10:45:00 AM

In the interests of options then same build with a Phenom II costs £13 more

AMD Phenom II X4 965 Black Edition 3.4GHz Quad Core Processor
http://www.cclonline.com/product/26600/HDZ965FBGMBOX/CP...

Asus M5A78L-M LX Socket AM3+ Motherboard
http://www.cclonline.com/product/70208/M5A78L-M-LX-V2/M...

4GB Corsair Desktop 1333MHz DDR3 Memory Kit
http://www.cclonline.com/product/35910/CMV4GX3M2A1333C9...

Seagate Barracuda 500GB Hard Drive
http://www.cclonline.com/product/66223/ST500DM002/Hard-...

XFX Pro 450W Power Supply Unit
http://www.cclonline.com/product/55411/P1-450S-XXB9/Pow...

Samsung 16X SATA DVD-ROM Drive
http://www.cclonline.com/product/42546/SH-D163C/BEBE/Op...

CiT 2206 Black Midi Case
http://www.cclonline.com/product/45656/2206B/Cases/CiT-...

AMD Radeon HD 6850 1GB Graphics Card
http://www.cclonline.com/product/80222/NoMfgCode/Graphi...

OR using a Pentium costs about the same as the AMD builds. Can't be OC'd so will lose out to the AMD's

Intel Pentium G860 3.0 GHz Dual Core Processor
http://www.cclonline.com/product/66825/BX80623G860/CPUs...

Gigabyte GA-H61MA-D2V Motherboard
http://www.cclonline.com/product/75858/GA-H61MA-D2V/Mot...

4GB Corsair Desktop 1333MHz DDR3 Memory Kit
http://www.cclonline.com/product/35910/CMV4GX3M2A1333C9...

Seagate Barracuda 500GB Hard Drive
http://www.cclonline.com/product/66223/ST500DM002/Hard-...

XFX Pro 450W Power Supply Unit
http://www.cclonline.com/product/55411/P1-450S-XXB9/Pow...

Samsung 16X SATA DVD-ROM Drive
http://www.cclonline.com/product/42546/SH-D163C/BEBE/Op...

CiT 2206 Black Midi Case
http://www.cclonline.com/product/45656/2206B/Cases/CiT-...

AMD Radeon HD 6850 1GB Graphics Card
http://www.cclonline.com/product/80222/NoMfgCode/Graphi...

You could even put an i3 on that motherboard for about an extra £25
July 8, 2012 11:10:59 AM

thanks for the replies everyone :) 

I was thinking of going for a 1155 board with intel pentium and maybe upgrading it to i5 in a year or so, but there seem to be different types of 1155 boards and i have no idea if they're compatible with all 1155 CPUs (e.g. B75, H61,H77 etc)
But the phenom x4 would be able to last a long time without need for an upgrade, right? (before it gets outdated and won't run something like CoD20 on low)

I forgot to mention that i already have windows 7 handy so that's cut from the price too.

My PSU is storm 600W (although it only has 24A along 12v rail)
July 8, 2012 11:48:00 AM

If you want an i5 save to get it now in 12 months time there will be a new generation (Haswell) on a new socket.

If your after longevity well nobody can predict the future of the FX, Phenom and Pentium I would hedge bets on the Phenom having the longer life (if your prepared to OC). Really your GPU is the limiting factor and really unless your dropping £400 on just the GPU its always going to be the limiter.

No Idea what a storm 600W is. If you want to use it along with old CD drive and case you would be saving enough to fit something like this in to your budget

Gainward NVIDIA GeForce GTX 560 Ti
http://www.cclonline.com/product/76220/4260183361824/Gr...

*edit*
Now paired with the Phenom II that would be a decent rig that should see you well for a while. It will game better than if you paired an i5 with the 6850 as doing that would lead to the GPU limiting irrelevent of the better CPU
July 8, 2012 12:46:00 PM

if you can wait then wait for piledriver
!