£500-£600 Gaming System

JonnyW

Honorable
Apr 21, 2012
Hi all, im currently helping a couple of people out with building budget (ish) gaming PC's of around the £500-£600 region. I have come up with a rough build that i thought may be suitable, however there are certain components that I do not have a great deal of knowledge about what to get and could use some experienced advise. Please feel free to evaluate my selection of components and/or come up with a superior and more balanced build.

Approximate Purchase Date: Anything from 1-3 months.

Budget Range: ~£500-£600

System Usage from Most to Least Important: Gaming, Work, and general internet usage/films.

Parts Not Required: Monitor, mouse and Keyboard (no peripherals required)

Preferred Website(s) for Parts: Websites such as Scan, Amazon, Overclockers, Aria, Ebuyer or any other reliable UK sites. Preferable if most parts are from the same website(s) due to P&P costs.

Parts Preferences: Mid tower case is probably best (wouldnt really want a full tower on a cheaper build anyway). I believe that the buyers would be more preferable to Intel CPU's than AMD.

Overclocking: No

SLI or Crossfire: No

Monitor Resolution: 1920x1080

Additional Comments: Will probably be possible to wait for the GTX 660ti to be released if it were to fit within this budget range (~£200?). Aftermarket CPU Cooler probably not required.

What i was considering:

CPU: i3 2100@3.1Ghz (~£95), this could lead to possible upgrade path to an i5 (ivybridge) in the future if needed.

Motherboard: I dont have a great deal of knowledge about this, but was thinking perhaps an H61 board due to the budget, would appreciate any ideas for this. (~£60?). Will not be OCing.

RAM: 8Gb of 1333 or 1600 DDR3 since its relatively cheap atm (~£45)

PSU: Corsair TX650 (~£70), perhaps a bit overkill on the power here but I really trust corsair and myself would be willing to pay a bit extra for the extra headroom and good name.

GPU: GTX 560ti (~£165) or a HD7850 (~£185) if the budget can handle it. (possibly 660ti if price/performance is good)

Case: I havent really kept myself up to date with cases recently, however perhaps somthing such as the Antec One would be suitable (~£40).

Hard Drive: Cant really afford an SSD here, and 500Gb is probably an adequate amount of space. Was thinking maybe a WD 500Gb Caviar Blue. (~£65)

Optical drive: Generic black DVD-RW (~£15)

Total (not including Windows 7): £555 (inc Vat, but not P&P)

How does this system look, is it well balanced?
Please suggest any improvements or a whole different build if you feel it necissary and thanks in advance for any replies :).

JonnyW.

why pay more for an overkill psu when it might force you to buy a cheaper graphics card?

Get a decent 500 watt unit , the radeon 7850 and a better quality and feature set motherboard . For budget an H77 based board

If you have to then 2 x2 gig of RAM is plenty for a gamer . More wont add any performance