U_Fig

Honorable
Mar 21, 2012
Approximate Purchase Date: Within a couple of weeks

Budget Range: €6000 after claiming VAT back

System Usage from Most to Least Important: 3D rendering. architectural design, storage server

Parts Not Required: no software is required

Preferred Website(s) for Parts: any really ideally in the UK or EU

Parts Preferences: by brand or type: not particularly

Overclocking: yes but without sacrificing longevity of parts

SLI or Crossfire: Yes if needed

Monitor Resolution: 1920x1080 but possibly be upgraded to higher at some stage

Additional Comments: needs at least 6TB of Storage will prob set up RAID, also needs at least 16GB ram with 64gb ideal. Also it's going to be for a small business and since it's the main part of the business all rendering will be done on it it needs to be fast. ie the 6k budget.. alslo it needs to have good cooling as the office is not very well ventilated..

I was thinking originally a dual xeon e5-2687 build with a quadro 2000 or 4000...but i've heard that the intel i7 extreme can yeild faster render results so i'm asking here as it's a little out of my league as far as any builds i've ever attempted

Do you need server parts or would you be fine with consumer parts? The server parts have some extra stuff like RAM error correction and whatever - I'm not an expert - but those aren't probably needed unless your rendering projects take weeks to finish running 24/7. The warranty is the same 3 years for both and the consumer parts are actually faster so I'd default to them.

U_Fig

Honorable
Mar 21, 2012

i'm not sure...but it won't be running 24/7 and most rendering will take under 8 hours I think..it's mostly buildings but at very high detail... consumer parts are easily available...but being a business getting server would be possible. the current rig he has is AMD phenom quad core 2.86GHZ and 8GB ram..but recently he's got a few bigger projects that he needs more rendering power and it's out of it's league,

I think you'll do great using normal consumer parts. I've run overnight and even several days long computer simulations on my PC at home using an i7 no problem - and it's still running strong after 3 years.