Final evaluation of £400 UK build

Launde

Honorable
Apr 9, 2012
Hey,

I am just looking for final opinions and advice from other people, for my new build in the UK. I am hoping to start purchasing witin the next few days if possible. At the moment i wont be SLI/Xfireing and may overclock in future. Here it is:

i5 3570K
Asus P8Z77-V LX Motherboard
Zalman Z11 plus
OCZ Technology PSU, ModXStream Pro, 500W PSU

Then later on, i will buy a proper graphics cards with more fundings. I have the rest of the things required/other parts are not included in budget ie. OS.

For just the Motherboard, processor, case and power supply, i think i will definately want to keep it under £400.

Let me know what you guys think, or if i have missed anything, and your opinions.
Thanks.

Launde

Honorable
Apr 9, 2012
I added the PSU to the list. yes, i have the monitor, keyboard, mouse, OS. I wil buy a GPU later on.

I have a lot of problem especially choosing a PSU. For about £50 i can get a Corsair 600W, but the ModXStream Pro has some good reviews and is mostly modular, so that'll help in cable management. They are about the same price, but i chose the modular one anyway, even though it has only 500W. What do you guys think?

Launde

Honorable
Apr 9, 2012
also, simmilar dileama's with the Case. I chose the Zalman Z11 plus because it has 5 preinstalled fans and IMO looks quite good too. But there are so many in the price range. I was looking at the antec 300, and also the Xigmatek asgard III. So many choices :pt1cable:

metal orient

Distinguished
Mar 17, 2011
You're still missing a hard drive. PSU recommendation depends on what you want to do, mostly it will depend on what graphics card you want to upgrade to later on.

Launde

Honorable
Apr 9, 2012
I have a small hard drive for programs, and will store files etc. on an external HDD. If you guys dont think modular PSU's is not required, i will go for that Corsair one then. I don't plan on Sli/xfire anytime soon, but thanks for letting me know those options will be open. I do however later plan on getting a nice GPU for about £200 if that's any help but ill choose it later, because there allways new ones coming out!

Launde

Honorable
Apr 9, 2012
OK, thanks. Do you guys think i should Crossfire? would two chaper cards like the 6850 x2 would be better than a 7870 on its own?

And what do you think about the case, any recomendtations?

Launde

Honorable
Apr 9, 2012
Ok. Thanks. Yeh, i probably will go for the Z11, but apparantly the expansion slot covers aren't re-usable. But otherwise, i am probably going to buy it. Might also get some external to internal conector thingy's for the pass through's.

Launde

Honorable
Apr 9, 2012
So overall then, It looks like:

Zalman Z11 case
Corsair 600W Builder Series PSU
i5 3570K CPU
Asus P8Z77-V LX Motherboard

Hope to get all final opinions now, and hopefully i'll order tommorow morning. Thanks guys.

Launde

Honorable
Apr 9, 2012
Just a quick question. Is the voltage on the 12V rails the only power required, and in this case, would this mean the more voltage on the 12V rails the better, and so disregarding the wattage number altogether?

Launde

Honorable
Apr 9, 2012
in that case, i think the: OCZ Fatal1ty Series 550W is better. Im not sure about the numbers so could comeone else double check this, but i think it has 2 12V rails at 25A each. Thanks.

Launde

Honorable
Apr 9, 2012
yeh, i saw lots of people reccomend that. Why though? It has 44A vs the OCZ 50A. The XFX one has 5 years warranty though, and OCZ has 3 years.
I was hoping to find something over 45A (to possibly Xfire in future) and have a 5 year warranty, so it's pretty even for me. So, yeah, let me know why you prefer the XFX

Launde

Honorable
Apr 9, 2012
It looks like the Gigabyte GA-Z77-D3H is better than the Asus P8Z77-V LX, but i have just based this on a rough Specs. overview. Can anyone else confirm this is true?

metal orient

Distinguished
Mar 17, 2011
XFX is better because: it has a better OEM is the same price and has a longer warranty, while the OCZ does have more amps on the 12V line it also has more ripple (fluctuations in voltage) than XFX does so your PC will be less stable, also If you want to Xfire while it is doable on 550W a 650W would be safer.

metal orient

Distinguished
Mar 17, 2011
Yeah The gigabyte board is better IMO, you get a better back panel selection, an mSATA port and the nice SATA ports (horizontal rather than vertical), as well as a slightly better PCI selection and slightly better fan header selection. Cheaper too!

You do miss out on ASUS FanXpert which is the only regret I ave had not going with them.