£500 Gaming PC, need suggestions.

f2k8

Distinguished
Jul 14, 2011
I'm new to PC building, and I need a few suggestions on what parts to buy.
This will be my first build ever, so I'm not looking for anything too fancy.

Budget: £450-£550

Country: UK (More than happy for US users to give me their inputs)

Parts not required: Keyboard, Mouse, Monitor

Overclocking: Not at the early stages, but will be looking to overclock after a year or so.

Uses: Gaming at max graphics capabilities. Games such as BF3, Diablo 3, GTA etc.

SLI: In the future, same as overclocking.

Monitor res: 1920 x 1080 always.

Main parts of the PC:
I've already picked a few parts that I want to revolve this PC around.

CPU: AMD FX-8150 (I know alot of people will point me towards Intel, but I will also be streaming/rendering videos WHILE gaming, therefore, I think an 8-core would be practical)

GPU: A second hand EVGA GTX 570, I've been monitoring the bids on Ebay, and usually they end up going for around the £150 mark, which is around £60 cheaper than brand new.

So, that's around £285 of the budget already gone, the rest is up to you.
Thank you for helping out.

If you need any more comments, just reply to the thread. :)

maui67

Distinguished
Jan 20, 2012
I'm in the US and am not sure what outlets you have available to buy from. But I would suggest you save some money and get the FX-8120 instead and then overclock it. I know you stated you wanted to wait a year before trying to overclock, but from what I have read a simply multiplier change could get the 8120 to the 8150 level and then later you could try for a higher overclock. Over here in the States the 8120 runs about $40-50 cheaper than the 8150 and that's money you could put towards other parts.

f2k8

Distinguished
Jul 14, 2011

Good point, and I appreciate your input, but here in the UK.. the FX-8150 is only around £15 more than a FX-8120.
I was originally going to go for an FX-8120 until I found out that the price difference isn't so drastic.

bavarians6

Distinguished
Nov 9, 2010
Well, I won't argue the pros and cons of gaming on the AMD vs. Intel. You seem to have an edge-case usage scenario if you really do both of those at once, and who amd I to tell you you're wrong? But +1 to maui67's recommendation. Save a little cash and OC the 8120.

As far as the rest of it goes, once you've picked the GPU and CPU, the rest is largely inconsequential. Most any compatible motherboard will work just fine as long as it has the features you want (most notable 2+ PCIe slots for future SLI). For memory, basically get something inexpensive from a reputable manufacturer. 8GB should be enough for you. The case is about 90% aesthetic preference. Yes, there are some cases that provide better airflow, etc., but in the price range you're looking, they're all pretty much the same. Get something you think looks cool. For an optical drive, get the cheapest one you can find. They're all pretty much identical.

Which brings us to the power supply. This is something you'll want to get from a very good manufacturer as it will last you for years if you get the right one. I've got a Corsair 650W that's been going strong with 0 issues for 4 1/2 years. Right now, it's powering a dual 6950 setup with no problem (I haven't OC'd anything, though, and probably don't have enough power to do so right now). For you, I'd look at 750W+ if you want to SLI 570's and overclock at the same time. Corsair has a good 750W that should suit you well and is relatively inexpensive ($110 here. Sorry, I don't know what it fetches in GBP :) ).

f2k8

Distinguished
Jul 14, 2011

Hmm, interesting. Thanks for your input.
Yeah, I guess I should go for a long lasting high powered PSU, just hope it doesn't affect the budget too much.

f2k8

Distinguished
Jul 14, 2011

Hmm, interesting. Thanks for your input.
Yeah, I guess I should go for a long lasting high powered PSU, just hope it doesn't affect the budget too much.