Video Editing PC - currently £800 to spend

Melidere

Honorable
Jun 4, 2012
Hello!

I'm currently looking to upgrade my old PC. I've done a lot of research but could really do with some advice from people who actually know what they're talking about - any help would be greatly appreciated.

Approximate Purchase Date: Bit-by-bit, starting now

Budget Range: £800 to start

System Usage from Most to Least Important: HD video editing (possibly using Adobe Premier, more likely Avid Studio) and video encoding, general web browsing, word processing etc.

Parts Not Required: Mouse, keyboard, hard drive

Preferred Website(s) for Parts: I don't mind

Parts Preferences: Intel CPU

Overclocking: Unlikely

SLI or Crossfire: Possibly

Additional Comments:

Basically I have about £800 to spend at the moment, but am planning on doing this upgrade bit by bit, as and when I can afford to. Ultimately I want to use the PC for professional video editing (with support for two, possibly three monitors), but am expecting to wait to buy things like graphics card, sound card etc. when I've saved up a bit more. Right now I just need to upgrade enough to have a working PC (my old current one is getting too sluggish for even the most basic use).

The single new component I've bought is a Samsung Spinpoint F3 1TB Harddrive.

From the research I've done so far I'm thinking of getting:

CPU: Intel i7 3770k

Motherboard: Gigabyte Z77X-UD5H (-WB if the price isn’t much difference)

Monitor: It’s been a few months since I had a look at these so will probably do some more research, but was thinking of either getting Asus PA238Q or Dell Ultrasharp U2412M (just one for now). I may to buy this though.

Is i7 the best way for HD video editing, or would i5 be suitable (and future proof)? Is it worth paying the extra money for the Gigabyte motherboard (over, say, the ASrock Z77 Extreme6 or even Gigabyte GA-Z77X-UD3H...I’m not sure exactly what the difference is there). Also does anyone have any recommendations for PSU and cooling? Is there anything else that I should be considering – features I should be looking out for? I seem to keep going round in circles asking myself these questions...I really hope I haven’t bitten off more than I can chew by doing this myself!

Thanks to anyone who can shed any light on any of the above.

metal orient

Distinguished
Mar 17, 2011
From Aria.co.uk
24" Dell UltraSharp U2412M Widescreen IPS LED Monitor - Black #45875
Fractal Design Arc Black Midi Tower Chassis w/ USB3.0 #49982
2 x Corsair Vengeance Low Profile 8GB (2x4GB) DDR3 PC3-12800C9 1600MHz Dual Channel Kit (CML8GX3M2A1600C9) #45511
GIGABYTE GA-Z77X-UD3H Intel Z77 Socket 1155 DDR3 PCI-Express Motherboard #50248
Intel Core i7-3770K 3.50GHz (Ivybridge) Socket LGA1155 Processor (77W) - Retail #49758
550W OCZ ZS Series 80PLUS Bronze Power Supply #45457
MICROSOFT Windows Home Premium 7 SP1 64-bit EN 1pk - OEM [GFC-02050]

Total price is £854.46 so a little over your budget.

You could shave a little off by getting a cheaper case, and maybe only getting one 8GB RAM set. No money for a graphics card but you'll have integrated graphics and quicksync will be good for transcoding.

Melidere

Honorable
Jun 4, 2012
That's great, thanks!

Can I ask what makes you suggest the GIGABYTE GA-Z77X-UD3H over GIGABYTE GA-Z77X-UD5H? As far as I can tell, the main difference is the latter is a bit more expensive, but comes with a firewire port (which could be something useful...), unless I'm missing anything..? Hmm.

I also should have mentioned that I have a copy of Windows 7, so that's £70 off the total. (I think I probably will ultimately need a graphics card, but that can wait until I've saved up more money...).

Thanks for your help.

Melidere

Honorable
Jun 4, 2012
Thanks - I had briefly looked at the ASRock mobo - the main reason I was thinking of the Gigabyte instead is that most reviews put it ahead overall. How much noticeable difference there is in practical terms is another matter though. I'll definitely have another look at this - cheers.