£550 First build, No boot (All trouble shooting steps followed)

Hyland23

Honorable
Mar 18, 2012
So I have bought a brand new system which was my first ever build, I did an External build first with just the CPU Graphics card and RAM. I used a screwdriver and sorted out the power on switch, no reaction. Tried again and it worked it booted up fine I then shorted it again thinking it would turn it off but it went off and turned back on again so I did it again and when it had just turn off I turned the power off.

So now I went on and did Internal build, the 24 pin connector was a pain to put it and took a lot of strength to put in the second time around but it did work. Everything was done and I pushed the switch on the case.Nothing, Tried again nothing.

2 DAYS later I am out of ideas please help I have gone through the troubleshooting guide but to no avail.
Here are the specs

Processor Intel--------i3-2120 Sandybridge Core i3 Quad-Core Processor 3.30GHz
Graphics card----------Sapphire 11179-09-20G HD 6870 1GB
Motherboard-----------ASUS 1155 P8H67 REV 3.0 S/L
RAM Corsair-----------CMX8GX3M2A1333C9 XMS3 8GB 
Hard Drive-------------Western Digital Caviar Green 1TB SATA III 6 Gbps Internal 3.5 inch Hard Drive
PSU---------------------Cooler Master RS550-ACAAE3-UK GX-Series 550W 80 PLUS
Case--------------------CiT Vantage Type-R Computer Gaming Case Black RED
DVD drive--------------Sony 24x Internal DVD Rewriter

Thanks, Joe

You shorted it to turn it off?
I'm seeing an issue there, I would have turned the Psu switch off to shut it down, assuming no O/s to select 'shutdown'
you can shut it down using the short method as you did, but you have to hold the connection for a few seconds, like holding the power button in for a couple of seconds,
Make sure everythings as it should be, standoffs etc again, remove the Cmos battery and short the power jumpers to discharge any current, leave for ten minutes, put battery back in,
rebuild as per Breadboarding, cpu, Hs and fan fitted, ram and Gpu, keyboard and mouse
ensure the 12v Cpu line is in, and the 20+4 pin mainline, as well as the Gpu's power line
hook up to a monitor
short to boot, assuming you post ok, proceed to install windows
post back your progress/lack of :)
Moto

Hyland23

Honorable
Mar 18, 2012

So do you think I may have broken anything? I thought I would have to replace the motherboard. :??:

I think you may have damaged the motherboard, I just want you to go over everything once more, sometimes electronics are like women,
sometimes you hit a brick wall but come back an hour later and they want to play nice again,
reset the Cmos and breadboard it again carefully,
let us know how it goes
Moto

Hyland23

Honorable
Mar 18, 2012

Thanks very much for all your help, I will breadboard it on Saturday because of the long bank holiday :wahoo: A few more questions however, What is the Cmos, how do I reset it and what will that mean/do. But again thank you ;)

Cmos chip is powered by the little silver battery on your mobo, and stores all the settings etc for the bios whilst the mains power is off, if you remove it then everything gets set back to default factory settings,
unplug the Psu, take the battery out and press the power button a couple of times,
leave for five/ten minutes,
replace battery, plug back in
boot up, reset time/date etc in bios,
it can solve a few issues and is one of the faultfinding staples, along with 'Have you tried turning it off and back on again?'
people laugh but it often solves things, same as resetting bios does/can
Moto

Hyland23

Honorable
Mar 18, 2012

Today I did everything you said and............ IT WORKED :D turns out i had taken off the jumper cap thinking it was to protect something :??: Doesn't matter now though managed to get it to work and now I am really happy.

Thank you so much

TRENDING THREADS