£700 Build Advice

JGS91

Distinguished
Aug 16, 2011
Approximate Purchase Date: Near future

Budget Range: £700

System Usage: Gaming

Parts Not Required: Keyboard, Mouse, Monitor and Speakers.

Preferred Website(s) for Parts: dabs

Overclocking: Yes

SLI or Crossfire: No

Additional Comments: Would like a quiet PC.

Here is the link showing the basket of good. http://www.dabs.com/basket

If it didn't work I am looking at the following.

CPU: Intel Core i5-2500K 3.30GHz LGA1155 6MB
Motherboard: Gigabyte Z77-DS3H S1155 Intel Z77 DDR3 ATX
Graphics Card: Gigabyte GeForce GTX 560 Ti 900MHz 1GB PCI-E HDMI (OverClocked)
SSD: Corsair 30GB Nova 2 Series SATA 3Gb/s 2.5" Solid State Disk Drive
HDD:Western Digital 1TB Caviar Green SATA 6Gb/s 64MB 3.5" Hard Drive
Memory: Kingston 4GB (1 x 4GB) DDR3 1333MHz DIMM 240-pin CL9
Disc Drive: Samsung 12x BD-ROM/DVDRW Lightscribe SATA Retail
Accessories: TP LINK 150Mbps Wireless N PCI Adapter, Akasa 140mm Viper High Performance S-Flow Fan, Best Value Midi-TowerCase +500W PSU (USB 2.0 + HD Audio).

I have never built a purchase before and this is my first foray into looking into the parts, if you could just let me know if one all this would work together and two what I could expect from general performance on a game. Like is this BF3 Ultra capable? Or something along those lines. Thanks for taking the time to look over my post :) any replies would be appreciated!

AdrianPerry

Distinguished
Your DABS link didn't work.

I don't understand how the build you posted comes to £700?

Here's a few UK websites worth checking for the best prices:
www.ebuyer.co.uk
www.scan.co.uk - take advantage of their Today Only Deal's
www.amazon.co.uk

Ok so lets take a look at your build:

CPU: Fine - although might be worth looking at an after-market CPU cooler too if you plan to overclock
Mobo: Fine - although you could consider a cheaper B75/H77 motherboard
GPU: Fine (although I would maybe consider an AMD 7xxx series or Nvidia 6xx series)
SSD: Nice for Boot Drive, 30GB will fit OS and an application or 2.
HDD: WD is a solid manufacturer, however make sure you grab a 7200RPM HDD, the Green Drives are much slower 5400RPM. Caviar Blue is a good choice - if you don't NEED 1TB of storage space, don't pay for it, 500GB is currently at a nice price. You can always buy another in the future when HDD prices drop to where they used to be.
RAM: Make sure to get Dual Channel, DDR3, 1600MHz (faster than the 1333MHz you listed), 1.5v, CL9. Corsair Vengeance (or low Profile) is probably your best choice in the UK.
Optical: Own this myself and am really pleased. However bare in mind it doesn't come with Software which will allow you to play Blu-Ray disks.

Now Case and PSU...

For PSU, make sure you get something with an 80PLUS rating of Bronze or higher. In the UK one of the best value units is the "XFX Core Edition 550w Bronze" - this would be perfect for your build. You might pick up a cheap deal on something else, but make sure it has an 80PLUS rating of Bronze.

Cases - There's some good value options out there, don't sink too much of your budget, you can get a perfectly good case for around £30-40. Have a look through some of these: http://www.scan.co.uk/shop/computer-hardware/all/cases-pc/performance-cases