Sign in with
Sign up | Sign in
Your question

£1500 ish build need fan/water cooling help

Last response: in Systems
Share
May 27, 2012 4:23:21 PM

Approximate Purchase Date: this week

Budget Range: around £1500

System Usage from Most to Least Important: Gaming, digital painting, general browsing

Parts Not Required: all except cooling

Preferred Website(s) for Parts: scan.co.uk unless you know cheaper sites

Country: England

Overclocking: willing to look into it but probably wont push past 4.2~4.3

SLI or Crossfire: Not atm maybe in the future

Additional Comments: The rest of the build that you need

2GB EVGA GTX 670, 28nm, PCIe 3.0 £273.67
Gigabyte GA-Z77-D3H, Intel Z77, £66.77
Corsair 600T Graphite Series £114.60
Intel Core i5 3570K,1155, Ivy Bridge £144.95
8GB (2x4GB) Corsair DDR3 Vengeance £34.12
1TB Western Digital Caviar Blue £64.60
128GB Samsung 830 Series, SSD Basic £80.12
750W PSU, NZXT Hale90 750M, Modular £95.75

May 27, 2012 4:29:06 PM

1: i would get a asrock z77 extreme4 because its a better mobo
2: you are paying too much for a case. get a antec 302 or antec one. they both a great build quality and airflow
3: go cheaper on the ram. mushkin blackline is a good choice
4: a crucial m4 128gb is a cheaper and great alternative to the samsung drive
5: there are cheaper and better power supplies than the zxt ones. a good one is the ocz zt 650w. it is fully modular too. if you dont have them in england, get the corsair tx 650m or the v2 editions
May 27, 2012 4:43:23 PM

TheBigTroll said:
1: i would get a asrock z77 extreme4 because its a better mobo
2: you are paying too much for a case. get a antec 302 or antec one. they both a great build quality and airflow
3: go cheaper on the ram. mushkin blackline is a good choice
4: a crucial m4 128gb is a cheaper and great alternative to the samsung drive
5: there are cheaper and better power supplies than the zxt ones. a good one is the ocz zt 650w. it is fully modular too. if you dont have them in england, get the corsair tx 650m or the v2 editions

Thanks for the suggestions for a heat sink fan i was planning to go Cooler master hyper evo 212 but its sold out in most places or close enough to a water cooling system so im just wondering if its worth spending the extra 10-20 and just grabbing one of them or an alternate fan
Related resources
May 27, 2012 5:18:11 PM

There might be cheaper PSUs than the NZXT Hale90 750W, but very few PSUs are better, and the OCZ 650W ZT Series unit definitely is not one of them.
May 27, 2012 5:19:27 PM

I'd recommend the asus version of the gtx670, but besides that everything looks good. Now about the cooling, do you want it to be as silent as possible or would you rather have peace of mind and go with the fan options? Also do you want to overclock?
May 27, 2012 5:21:36 PM

Silvune said:
There might be cheaper PSUs than the NZXT Hale90 750W, but very few PSUs are better, and the OCZ 650W ZT Series unit definitely is not one of them.

well as long as its 80+ certified thats good enough for me any fan/cooling suggestions? other than the hyper evo 212 that is
May 27, 2012 5:24:52 PM

Mikejr said:
I'd recommend the asus version of the gtx670, but besides that everything looks good. Now about the cooling, do you want it to be as silent as possible or would you rather have peace of mind and go with the fan options? Also do you want to overclock?

well it doesnt really matter as i will have a headset in most of the time but as long as it isnt so loud people in the house can hear it than its fine and i am looking into overclocking but i doubt id go any higher than 4.2~ especially as the ivy bridge has temp issues around the 4.5 level
May 27, 2012 5:27:10 PM

Then I'd go with a sandy bridge i5 2500k , easily overclockable to 4ghz and hardly any difference except it uses a bit more power than ivy bridges do. And just go with fan cooling, it won't be that loud.
May 27, 2012 5:40:28 PM

Mikejr said:
Then I'd go with a sandy bridge i5 2500k , easily overclockable to 4ghz and hardly any difference except it uses a bit more power than ivy bridges do. And just go with fan cooling, it won't be that loud.

Thanks i'll look into it
May 27, 2012 8:56:25 PM

How much are you willing to spend on the heatsink?
Which type of Vengeance did you get/are you getting? The tall ones or the low profile ones?
If it is the tall ones then your choice will be reduced.

However this would probably work even with the tall Vengeance sets and is a very good cooler:
Thermalright True Spirit 140 £35
http://www.scan.co.uk/products/thermalright-true-spirit...
Positively reviewed here:
http://www.xbitlabs.com/articles/coolers/display/xigmat...
http://www.hardocp.com/article/2011/11/17/thermalright_...
May 27, 2012 8:59:00 PM

Silvune said:
How much are you willing to spend on the heatsink?
Which type of Vengeance did you get/are you getting? The tall ones or the low profile ones?
If it is the tall ones then your choice will be reduced.

However this would probably work even with the tall Vengeance sets and is a very good cooler:
Thermalright True Spirit 140 £35
http://www.scan.co.uk/products/thermalright-true-spirit...
Positively reviewed here:
http://www.xbitlabs.com/articles/coolers/display/xigmat...
http://www.hardocp.com/article/2011/11/17/thermalright_...

its the low profile ones and around 50 but obviously, as long as its good value for the money
!