First Build Gaming Computer £850

Quote:
Approximate Purchase Date: Early July, 2012

Budget Range: £850 before rebates.

System Usage from Most to Least Important: Gaming, Web Surfing, General Usage, Video Streaming, Photo-Editing

Parts Not Required: Keyboard, Mouse, Speakers

Preferred Website(s) for Parts: www.ebuyer.com

Country: England

Parts Preferences: Corsair is preferred for power supply and memory and an i5 for the CPU

Overclocking: No

SLI or Crossfire: Maybe Crossfire in the Future

Monitor Resolution: Preferably 1920x1080


Additional Comments: I have already created an initial build:
http://pcpartpicker.com/uk/p/8xC1

which consists of

CPU: Intel Core i5-2500 3.3GHz Quad-Core Processor (£155.94 @ CCL Computers)

Motherboard: Gigabyte GA-Z68X-UD3-B3 ATX LGA1155 Motherboard (£79.99 @ Ebuyer)

Memory: Corsair Vengeance 8GB (2 x 4GB) DDR3-1600 Memory (£38.76 @ Ebuyer)

Hard Drive: Samsung Spinpoint F3 1TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive (£70.00 @ Ebuyer)

Video Card: XFX Radeon HD 6870 1GB Video Card (£118.42 @ Scan.co.uk)

Case: Cooler Master HAF 922 ATX Mid Tower Case (£78.14 @ Ebuyer)

Power Supply: Corsair 650W ATX12V / EPS12V Power Supply (£67.00 @ Ebuyer)

Optical Drive: Sony AD-7261S-0B DVD/CD Writer (£14.80 @ CCL Computers)

Monitor: Asus VE228H 21.5" Monitor (£107.39 @ Ebuyer)

Operating System: Microsoft Windows 7 Home Premium SP1 (64-bit) (£65.38 @ Ebuyer)

Total: £795.82

Any advice on changing parts, potential problems with the setup and better overall choices is greatly appreciated!
27 answers Last reply
More about build gaming computer 850
  1. You could still downgrade the CPU if you don't OC'. Get a 2400 instead of 2500, you will save more.

    I don't know about UK (I live in California), but most high end builds have a SSD. Try this:
    http://www.ebuyer.com/309799-64gb-crucial-m4-ssd-2-5-9-5mm-sata-6gbps-w-bracket-ct064m4ssd2baa
  2. Bump.
  3. Bleh. 3450 is hotter and we don't need the HD Graphics 4000 anyway. Go for 2400.
  4. WatchOut said:

    +1 The 3450 beats the 2400 in benchmarks, offers native 3.0 USB and PCI-E 3.0.
  5. That is what I am getting for my Bro. :)
  6. azeem40 said:
    That is what I am getting for my Bro. :)

    http://www.cpubenchmark.net/cpu.php?cpu=Intel+Core+i5-3450+%40+3.10GHz <---- it kicked but on the Passmark bench. It's going for $190 atm on amazon.
  7. Yeah, I prefer IB to SB. :)
  8. switch to a i5 2500k. It's future proof.
    i wouldn't go with a 6870, dish out an extra few £££ for a GTX 560 Ti.
  9. kickme829 said:
    switch to a i5 2500k. It's future proof.
    i wouldn't go with a 6870, dish out an extra few £££ for a GTX 560 Ti.

    First post on this board and you already trolled.
  10. Why_Me said:
    First post on this board and you already trolled.

    right, explain to me how that's a troll then oh wise one.
  11. Appreciate the advice, everyone! I'm pretty confident on every part now (changed to the i5 3450) apart from the graphics card and the mobo...

    For the graphics card I'm looking between:

    Gigabyte HD 6870
    http://www.ebuyer.com/252602-gigabyte-hd-6870-oc-1gb-gddr5-dual-dvi-hdmi-dual-mini-displayport-gv-r687oc-1gd

    and the Sapphire HD 6870
    http://www.ebuyer.com/271292-sapphire-hd-6870-1gb-gddr5-dvi-hdmi-displayport-pci-e-graphics-card-includes-11179-09-20g

    In terms of the motherboard I think a z77 would be optimal but not sure as to which one to get.
  12. aamukherjee said:
    Appreciate the advice, everyone! I'm pretty confident on every part now (changed to the i5 3450) apart from the graphics card and the mobo...

    For the graphics card I'm looking between:

    Gigabyte HD 6870
    http://www.ebuyer.com/252602-gigabyte-hd-6870-oc-1gb-gddr5-dual-dvi-hdmi-dual-mini-displayport-gv-r687oc-1gd

    and the Sapphire HD 6870
    http://www.ebuyer.com/271292-sapphire-hd-6870-1gb-gddr5-dvi-hdmi-displayport-pci-e-graphics-card-includes-11179-09-20g

    In terms of the motherboard I think a z77 would be optimal but not sure as to which one to get.


    Stick to Gigabyte , try this:

    http://pcpartpicker.com/uk/part/gigabyte-motherboard-gaz77d3h
  13. kickme829 said:
    right, explain to me how that's a troll then oh wise one.

    Call me crazy but I'm pretty sure if the OP was going to future proof then he obviously would go for the Ivy Bridge cpu and not the Sandy Bridge cpu that you recommended. Am I correct or am I wrong?
  14. Why_Me said:
    Call me crazy but I'm pretty sure if the OP was going to future proof then he obviously would go for the Ivy Bridge cpu and not the Sandy Bridge cpu that you recommended. Am I correct or am I wrong?


    Pretty sure the Ivy bridge 3450 can't be overclocked which means that in the future it's limited.
    The i5 2500k lets you overclock and so in the future he can, if he decides to do so, increase the clock speed.

    Passmark is not accurate.
  15. kickme829 said:
    Pretty sure the Ivy bridge 3450 can't be overclocked which means that in the future it's limited.
    The i5 2500k lets you overclock and so in the future he can, if he decides to do so, increase the clock speed.

    Passmark is not accurate.

    You don't get much more FPS in games with these 1155 cpu's when their o/c. That's for SB and IB cpu's. But like you pointed out the 560 ti would be a better card to go with and they o/c like a dream.

    Sry about that last post of mine, we just had a IB vs SB debate on another thread and when I saw that was your first post....
  16. Why_Me said:
    You don't get much more FPS in games with these 1155 cpu's when their o/c. That's for SB and IB cpu's. But like you pointed out the 560 ti would be a better card to go with and they o/c like a dream.

    Sry about that last post of mine, we just had a IB vs SB debate on another thread and when I saw that was your first post....


    no hard feelings eh?

    The i5 2500k is faster stock as well,
    a recent thread on this very same site discussed this:
    http://www.tomshardware.co.uk/forum/335278-10-3450-2500k
  17. Okay guys here is my current build:

    Corsair Vengeance 8GB Ram

    Seagate Barracuda 1TB Hard Drive

    Corsair 650W PSU

    CoolerMaster HAF 922 Mid Tower Case

    Intel Core i5 2500K

    MSI GTX 560ti Twin Frozr II OC

    Asus P8Z68-V LX Motherboard

    ACER S220HQLBBD LED 22" Monitor

    LiteOn iHAS124 Optical Drive

    Windows 7 Home Premium OS

    with a Total Cost of £858.70

    Any suggestions for a better motherboard (or places to cut costs)?
  18. use a Gigabyte Motherboard such as:

    http://www.ebuyer.com/267504-gigabyte-ga-z68x-ud3h-b3-z68-socket-1155-7-1-channel-hd-audio-atx-motherboard-ga-z68x-ud3h-b3

    But always stick to Z68.

    Reduce your costs by switching the case or even looking for case + PSU bundles such as this:
    http://www.ebuyer.com/246648-antec-sonata-iv-case-with-620w-psu-0-761345-08153-5

    (80 PLUS certified + one 120mm fan)
  19. Actually i was wrong:

    Which of these would actually be best?

    7770 CF Vs 6870 CF vs 460 CF
  20. kickme829 said:
    Actually i was wrong:

    Which of these would actually be best?

    7770 CF Vs 6870 CF vs 460 CF



    6870 CF is the best but i would reccomend the 7770 CF as it offers the best scaling and the smallest power consumption and it is better value than the 6870 CF the 460 SLI is about the same level as the 7770 CF but it is 2 years old and the power consumption, heat and noise levels is no where near the 7770CF. And keep in mind the 7770 has only been around 3 months so drivers and games have not fully utilised it.
  21. kickme829 said:
    use a Gigabyte Motherboard such as:

    http://www.ebuyer.com/267504-gigabyte-ga-z68x-ud3h-b3-z68-socket-1155-7-1-channel-hd-audio-atx-motherboard-ga-z68x-ud3h-b3

    But always stick to Z68.

    Reduce your costs by switching the case or even looking for case + PSU bundles such as this:
    http://www.ebuyer.com/246648-antec-sonata-iv-case-with-620w-psu-0-761345-08153-5

    (80 PLUS certified + one 120mm fan)


    Why should he always stick to z68 when you can get z77 bards for the same price such as
    http://www.ebuyer.com/345350-msi-lga1155-intel-z77-4-ddr3-gbe-lan-4-usb3-0-atx-motherboard-z77a-g45
  22. aamukherjee said:
    Okay guys here is my current build:

    Corsair Vengeance 8GB Ram

    Seagate Barracuda 1TB Hard Drive

    Corsair 650W PSU

    CoolerMaster HAF 922 Mid Tower Case

    Intel Core i5 2500K

    MSI GTX 560ti Twin Frozr II OC

    Asus P8Z68-V LX Motherboard

    ACER S220HQLBBD LED 22" Monitor

    LiteOn iHAS124 Optical Drive

    Windows 7 Home Premium OS

    with a Total Cost of £858.70

    Any suggestions for a better motherboard (or places to cut costs)?



    Spend some extra money on getting a 7850 for about £170-180 it will benefit you in the long run.
  23. WatchOut said:
    Why should he always stick to z68 when you can get z77 bards for the same price such as
    http://www.ebuyer.com/345350-msi-lga1155-intel-z77-4-ddr3-gbe-lan-4-usb3-0-atx-motherboard-z77a-g45


    Because hes using an i5 2500k for sandybridge and the z77 is for ivybridge.
  24. kickme829 said:
    Because hes using an i5 2500k for sandybridge and the z77 is for ivybridge.


    You do realise that z77 is better than z68 in every way and unless you think of more native support as a downside i really don't see what your argument is especially when it is backward compatible and all the problems in z68 have been ironed out.

    I'm just really confused why you would want older tech when newer tech is available for the same price but with more features where is your logic, your point has no value because z77 is for sandybridge AND ivybridge.
  25. WatchOut said:
    You do realise that z77 is better than z68 in every way and unless you think of more native support as a downside i really don't see what your argument is especially when it is backward compatible and all the problems in z68 have been ironed out.

    I'm just really confused why you would want older tech when newer tech is available for the same price but with more features where is your logic, your point has no value because z77 is for sandybridge AND ivybridge.


    If you want to get rude with me then get rude with a mod.

    Also you said so yourself, some Motherboards do have a problem with the Sandy bridges and for someone who's new to building their own PC it's best to stick to the safe side. Unless of course i have no logic and my point is flawed?

    True if he goes with the z77 there are more features, so it depends on

    http://www.ebuyer.com/267504-gigabyte-ga-z68x-ud3h-b3-z68-socket-1155-7-1-channel-hd-audio-atx-motherboard-ga-z68x-ud3h-b3

    or

    http://www.ebuyer.com/351598-gigabyte-ga-z77-d3h-socket-1155-vga-dvi-hdmi-8-channel-audio-atx-motherboard-ga-z77-d3h
  26. Quote:
    I'm just really confused why you would want older tech when newer tech is available for the same price but with more features where is your logic, your point has no value because z77 is for sandybridge AND ivybridge.


    Depending on actual socket and BIOS update to support IB chips.

    Let's keep it civil in here...provide some valid info/links when debating as backup to your discussion points.
Ask a new question

Read More

New Build Systems