Help me build a gaming rig for around £800

I want to build a new gaming system to replace my current one. I have a good idea of what is good in terms of hardware, but I would like to get other peoples opinions. I will be playing games like Battlefield 3, GTA IV, Crysis 3 and Flight Simulator X.

If you take the time to help me out, I would prefer to buy an Nvidia GPU, and an i7.

Thanks
14 answers Last reply
More about build gaming rig 800
  1. Have a look at this thread:

    http://www.tomshardware.co.uk/forum/593-40-noob-gaming-build-%C2-%C2

    Ditch the i7 and spend the money on an i5 and GTX670.
  2. Quote:
    I want to build a new gaming system to replace my current one. I have a good idea of what is good in terms of hardware, but I would like to get other peoples opinions. I will be playing games like Battlefield 3, GTA IV, Crysis 3 and Flight Simulator X.

    If you take the time to help me out, I would prefer to buy an Nvidia GPU, and an i7.

    Thanks


    Intel CPU Core i5 3570K Quad Core IvyBridge Processor OEM
    £161.94
    http://www.scan.co.uk/products/intel-core-i5-3570k1155-ivy-bridge-quad-core-34ghz-5-gt-s-dmi-650mhz-gpu-6mb-smart-cache-34x-ratio-7

    Asus P8Z77-V LX, Intel Z77, S 1155, DDR3, SATA III - 6Gb/s, SATA RAID, PCIe 3.0 (x16), DVI-D/ HDMI/ D-Sub (VGA), ATX
    £77.77 £93.32
    http://www.scan.co.uk/products/asu [...] sub-(vga)-

    8GB (2x4GB) Corsair DDR3 Vengeance Jet Black, PC3-12800 (1600), Non-ECC, CAS 9-9-9-24, XMP, 1.50V
    £32.80 £39.36
    http://www.scan.co.uk/products/8gb [...] 4-xmp-150v

    Corsair Carbide Series 300R Black Mid Tower Gaming Performance Case with USB 3.0, w/o PSU
    £44.30 £53.16
    http://www.scan.co.uk/products/cor [...] 30-w-o-psu

    Corsair Cooling Hydro Series H40 High-performance CPU Cooler
    £33.20 £39.84
    http://www.scan.co.uk/products/nda [...] cpu-cooler

    650W PSU, Corsair Enthusiast Series 650TXV2UK, 85% Eff', 80 PLUS Bronze, SLI/CrossFire, EPS 12V, Quiet Fan, ATX v2.31
    £56.65 £67.98
    http://www.scan.co.uk/products/650 [...] uiet-fan-a

    Samsung SH-S222AB/BEBE 22x DVD±R, 12x DVD±R, DVD+RW x8/-RW x6, SATA, Black, OEM
    £10.98 £13.18
    http://www.scan.co.uk/products/sam [...] -black-oem

    1TB Seagate ST1000DM003 Barracuda 7200.14 SATA 6Gb/s 7200rpm 64mb Cache 8ms NCQ OEM
    £56.98 £68.38
    http://www.scan.co.uk/products/1tb [...] ms-ncq-oem

    2GB Palit GTX 670, 28nm, PCIe 3.0 (x16), 6008MHz GDDR5, GPU 915MHz, Boost 980MHz, Cores 1344, 2x DL DVI, DP, HDMI
    £265.67 £318.80
    http://www.scan.co.uk/products/2gb [...] l-dvi-dp-h

    Total£860.59
  3. Save the extra £60 for the above system you will not regret it.
  4. Quote:
    Save the extra £60 for the above system you will not regret it.

    Isn't the i5 a bottleneck for the 670? and is 650W enough for it all, as I would be overclocking the cpu to around 4.7 and the gpu to 1GHz.

    Do you have an idea on fps for some games on ultra settings with this setup? :)
  5. Quote:
    Isn't the i5 a bottleneck for the 670? and is 650W enough for it all, as I would be overclocking the cpu to around 4.7 and the gpu to 1GHz.

    Do you have an idea on fps for some games on ultra settings with this setup? :)


    No th i5 is not a bottlekneck and would infact run a gtx680 quite happily at stock frequencies, and yes the 650w psu will be more than enough for that system.
  6. Quote:
    No th i5 is not a bottlekneck and would infact run a gtx680 quite happily at stock frequencies, and yes the 650w psu will be more than enough for that system.

    What about this:


    8GB (2x4GB) Corsair DDR3 Vengeance Jet Black, PC3-12800 (1600), Non-ECC, CAS 9-9-9-24, XMP, 1.50V

    2GB Gigabyte GTX 670 Windforce 3X, 28nm, PCIe 3.0 (x16), 6008MHz GDDR5, GPU 980MHz, Boost 1058MHz, Cores 1344, DP, HDMI

    Intel Core i5 3570K,1155, Ivy Bridge, Quad Core, 3.4GHz, 5 GT/s DMI, 650MHz GPU, 6MB Smart Cache, 34x Ratio, 77W, OEM

    1TB Seagate ST1000DM003 Barracuda 7200.14 SATA 6Gb/s 7200rpm 64mb Cache 8ms NCQ OEM

    700W PSU, Corsair Gaming Series GS700 CMPSU-700GUK, 80% Eff', 80 PLUS, SLI/CrossFire, EPS 12V, Quiet Fan, ATX v2.3

    ASRock Z77 Extreme 4, Intel Z77, S 1155, DDR3, SATA III - 6Gb/s, SATA RAID, PCIe 3.0 (x16), D-Sub/ DVI-D/ HDMI, ATX

    Sony AD-7280S-0B 24x DVD±R, 12xDVD±DL, DVD+RW x8/-RWx6 ,12xRAM SATA, Black, OEM


    And I will choose a CPU cooler later... Coolermasters a good make right?
  7. Quote:
    What about this:


    8GB (2x4GB) Corsair DDR3 Vengeance Jet Black, PC3-12800 (1600), Non-ECC, CAS 9-9-9-24, XMP, 1.50V

    2GB Gigabyte GTX 670 Windforce 3X, 28nm, PCIe 3.0 (x16), 6008MHz GDDR5, GPU 980MHz, Boost 1058MHz, Cores 1344, DP, HDMI

    Intel Core i5 3570K,1155, Ivy Bridge, Quad Core, 3.4GHz, 5 GT/s DMI, 650MHz GPU, 6MB Smart Cache, 34x Ratio, 77W, OEM

    1TB Seagate ST1000DM003 Barracuda 7200.14 SATA 6Gb/s 7200rpm 64mb Cache 8ms NCQ OEM

    700W PSU, Corsair Gaming Series GS700 CMPSU-700GUK, 80% Eff', 80 PLUS, SLI/CrossFire, EPS 12V, Quiet Fan, ATX v2.3

    ASRock Z77 Extreme 4, Intel Z77, S 1155, DDR3, SATA III - 6Gb/s, SATA RAID, PCIe 3.0 (x16), D-Sub/ DVI-D/ HDMI, ATX

    Sony AD-7280S-0B 24x DVD±R, 12xDVD±DL, DVD+RW x8/-RWx6 ,12xRAM SATA, Black, OEM


    And I will choose a CPU cooler later... Coolermasters a good make right?



    Looks good but what about the PC case you cant beat that Corsair 300R for value for money.

    For a cheap cooler you could by the coolermaster hyper 212 evo
    http://www.scan.co.uk/products/coolermaster-hyper-212-evo-4-heat-pipes-direct-contact-with-120mm-quiet-fan-lga775-1155-1156-1366-am
  8. Quote:
    Looks good but what about the PC case you cant beat that Corsair 300R for value for money.

    For a cheap cooler you could by the coolermaster hyper 212 evo
    http://www.scan.co.uk/products/coolermaster-hyper-212-evo-4-heat-pipes-direct-contact-with-120mm-quiet-fan-lga775-1155-1156-1366-am

    I was thinking more for the cpu cooler, the new BeQuiet one, it has two fans. The Corsair 300R does look like a good case, will probably go for it.
  9. Quote:
    I was thinking more for the cpu cooler, the new BeQuiet one, it has two fans. The Corsair 300R does look like a good case, will probably go for it.



    I have the Be Quiet Dark Rock Pro myself, its a beast and will be a great choice for you if you can afford it.
  10. Quote:
    I have the Be Quiet Dark Rock Pro myself, its a beast and will be a great choice for you if you can afford it.

    Unless, do you think it would be worth it buying the Corsair H100 water cooler as a CPU cooler instead?
  11. Quote:
    Unless, do you think it would be worth it buying the Corsair H100 water cooler as a CPU cooler instead?



    Well the H100 is a perfect fit for the Corsair 300R PC case as it fits perfectly in the top of the case.

    I would get the H100 if you can afford it as well thats me, and i guess im a bit OCD about everything being neat and tidy and from the same manufacturer. lol
  12. This topic has been moved from the section Video Games to section Systems by Mousemonkey
  13. The H100 is a great cooler and I have one but you probably don't need it. The coolermaster Hyper 212 will give you the OC that you want and for a lot cheaper ($30).
Ask a new question

Read More

Build Gaming Systems