greylong

Honorable
May 10, 2012
Hi All,

So after 7 years and numerous upgrades, my old PC has begun to fall apart, I've decided rather than patch it up (again!), my desktop can dutifully retire and live out it's years cover in dust in the attic.

It does however mean I need to build myself a brand new PC, and hence my post. Sticking as close to the guide here is what I'm looking for and at...

Budget: £1500

Purchase Date: Next 2 weeks most likely

Purpose: Mainly used for gaming, however do also dabble in Photoshop and movie editing; best summary is probably that the goal for the system is to run Battlefield 3 on Ultra settings at 1920x1080

I'm based in the London, UK, tend to prefer OCUK for ordering parts, but if people have recommendations for other sites happy to listen

Now the fun part, with a budget of £1500, I've put the below together, however there are some extra nice to haves which if there is fat to trim in the budget keeping the BF3 goal in mind I'd like to try include. One would be a large hard-drive (2TB), another would be a 24" monitor, I currently have 2 x 22" monitors but would like to update those (these are from 2007)

I will overclock moderately, but i'm unlikely to go to any massive extremes on the system.

I don't need a keyboard, mouse, speakers or OS.

Specific items I would be keen on feedback on would be:

Processor: I've gone with the i5 rather than i7 based on the fact I will over clock some, and the potential of both seems similar.
The case: I'd rather a bigger case that has good airflow and easy access for drives, cable management etc than a compact option
Optical Drive: I'd like to have Blu-Ray in the box, admittedly my research into drives has been limited so far, so willing to listen to options here
Memory: I've gone with G.Skill because I trust the brand, and it tends to do well in comparisons on Tom's Hardware, obviously only need dual channel with the 1155 socket, so curious if that's a good option, I'd like to stick at 16GB just for future proof reasons (and having video, sound and photo editing open at once monsters my current 4GB, so i don't want to get stuck at 8GB too)

The System:
Gigabyte GeForce GTX 680 2048MB GDDR5 PCI-Express Graphics Card

Crucial RealSSD M4 256GB 2.5" SATA 6Gb/s Solid State Hard Drive (CT256M4SSD2)

G.Skill RipJawsX 16GB (2x8GB) DDR3 PC3-17066C9 2133MHz Dual Channel Kit (F3-2133C9D-16GXH)

Intel Core i5-3570K 3.40GHz (Ivybridge) Socket LGA1155 Processor (77W) - Retail

Gigabyte Z77X-UD5H Intel Z77 (Socket 1155) DDR3 Motherboard

Corsair Professional Series AX850 High Performance 850W Modular '80 Plus Gold' Power Supply (CMPSU-850AXUK)

Cooler Master CM-690 II Advanced USB3.0 Dominator Case - Black

LG BH10LS38 10x BluRay-RW / 16 x DVD±RW Lightscribe Drive - Black (Retail)

Cooler Master Hyper 612S CPU Cooler (Socket LGA1366/1156/1155/775/AM3/AM2+/AM2)

greylong

Honorable
May 10, 2012
Thanks Chainzsaw, hadn't noticed the memory voltage rating, will take that advice and drop down to 1.5V rated.

I did just see the GTX 670 has been reviewed on the site (must admit I'd missed this card coming along in the pipeline). It's showing around £120 cheaper, for just 5% drop off in performance compared to the GTX 680. I'm thinking I can drop to the 670, pocket the extra cash for a 24" monitor and then overclock the GPU if I feel i need the power.

Be interested in thoughts on that?

TRENDING THREADS