Please - Final check my build. (£1,000 Ivy bridge + monitor).

fadeawayyx

Distinguished
Sep 9, 2011
All from DABS.com

Intel Core i7-3770K S1155 3.5GHz 8MB
£249.99

Gigabyte Z77-D3H S1155 Intel Z77 DDR3 ATX
£79.99

Corsair Vengeance 8GB (2x4GB) DDR3 1600MHz CL9 XMP
£36.99

Sapphire Technology ATI Radeon 7850 860MHz 2GB PCI-Express 3.0 HDMI
£184.99

Corsair Memory 120GB Force Series 3 SATA 6Gb/s 2.5" Solid State Drive (Read 550MB/s, Write 510MB/s)
£96.99

Antec Nine Hundred Two V3 Mid Tower Gaming Case
£84.99

Corsair Memory Cooling Hydro Series H80 High-Performance CPU Cooler
£69.99

Corsair TX650 V2 650W ATX Enthusiast Series
£66.99

Microsoft Windows Home Premium 7 SP1 64-bit EN 1pk OEI OEM DVD
£69.99

Samsung S22A300H 21.5"W LCD Monitor LED Backlight 1080p HDMI - Black
£110.08

Total (Inc VAT) £1,050.99 -2% Cashback = £1,029.97

QUESTIONS:
Is that a good monitor?
Is that a good motherboard? I don't want SLI.
Is that PSU going to be enough?
Are all those parts compatible?

skrendie

Distinguished
May 7, 2011
- Yes, but it's a budget type monitor
- Yes, but you might save a penny with one without SLI/Crossfire possibilities.
- Yes, more than enough.
- Yes.

You might save another penny if you leave the 3770k and go with the older 2600k, it has almost the same performance and is almost 100 quid less.(and overclocks better and gets less hot, see reviews). (put this saved money in a better monitor, like a 24" IPS screen from HP)

fadeawayyx

Distinguished
Sep 9, 2011
Thank you for your advice. I think that motherboard is non SLI, that's why it's cheap (£80). There's an Asus one (Z77-LX) for a little bit more money, I don't know if it's any better. I don't really see any difference between these and the ~£140 motherboards besides the extra SLI stuff, is there something I'm missing?

Thanks for the monitor suggestion. I would like a good one so I could increase the budget if needed. I take it this 'IPS' stuff is what I need to look for?

Even if the performance is the same & it costs more, I'd like to stick with Ivy bridge purely because it's latest gen name-wise. Same reason why I'm not considering 500 series GPUs.

skrendie

Distinguished
May 7, 2011
Sorry, of course i mean Crossfire. And yes it has the extra PCI-E slot.
Mostly the higher price is due to the higher quality components used on the motherboard. And this will give it a better life span and better overclock abilities.

Yes, more and more monitors are made as IPS type screens (but most screens are the less expensive TN type).

metal orient

Distinguished
Mar 17, 2011
Iiyama are pretty good make but their X series line up has had appalling response times and i cannot find any reviews of this screen online, however the old X series were PVA not IPS. That said consumer reviews on sites like ebuyer.com seem positive so this may have changed.

fadeawayyx

Distinguished
Sep 9, 2011
I can't update my original post. I will spend £1200 and include nice Dell IPS monitor

Any other comments on the other parts? The motherboard looks like it could be a weak link at the moment. (Gigabyte D3H or Asus LX.... could upgrade to something better if needed?)

skrendie

Distinguished
May 7, 2011
It's a nice monitor, i have the Dell U2711 almost a year now, and its just awesome(in colours etc.).

Looking at the Gigabyte motherboard, i think its a good choice, ive read some reviews,
http://tbreak.com/tech/2012/04/gigabyte-ga-z77-d3h-review/4/

When big reviewing websites review motherboards, the motherboards are always performing very close to each other. Although i think this Gigabyte motherboard is very good, i can advice you to buy a MSI GD55. These boards overclock like hell and always do a little bit better with power consumtion. But if you never going to OC, stick with the Gigabyte.

fadeawayyx

Distinguished
Sep 9, 2011
Thanks for all your help so far. I have a thread over here asking for more help with the monitor.
If going with IPS i've narrowed it down to 3 fairly similar ones, but the real question I suppose is will I really notice the difference.

I was going to go with the Gigabyte D3H as above until I found the asrock z77 extreme 4 for sale at £110. It looks a little nicer and has two PCI3 lanes in case I ever change my mind about crossfire/sli. For only £25 more than the D3H I think I may go with that.

So besides the monitor, I think I am probably ready to order! :lol:

skrendie

Distinguished
May 7, 2011
Haha yes, a long time ago i had a PVA type monitor, which gives about the same image quality as IPS. But after that i just bought a monitor (TN type) without knowing the difference between the types of panels, and thought i bought a pig in a poke.
Because the colors and viewing angles were so bad.
But i think if you never had other types of monitors than TN, you would ofcourse not suffer about it :p

Not that i want to disregard the ASrock, but i have had the Z68 version of that motherboard (and its almost the same as the Z77 i presume), i had to return it two times, before i considered to buy an MSI which is still doing it's thing (always overclocked at 4.2Ghz without even touching the voltages). But thats only my experience of course, and was probably a bad batch of mobos.

Good luck!

skrendie

Distinguished
May 7, 2011
Thermal paste is not necessary, it's already on the heatsink of the processor.
All the cables that you need are included in all the packages that you're buying.
If in case of having 5 other sata HDD's, that you want to include in your case, you'd might want to order some more. (mostly 2 or more are included).