Sign in with
Your question

Gaming PC £500 - £650

Last response: in Systems
April 14, 2012 6:34:31 PM

Approximate Purchase Date: End of Month

Budget Range: £500 - £650 ish Would prefer it to be lower end (Do Any Computer retailers still offer student discount now Play.com Just stopped their 5% )
System Usage from Most to Least Important: Gaming (Decent FPS on SKyrim HIGH-> Ultra with HD mods) ,Capturing ps3 via Capture card(SD) ,Video editing

Parts Not Required: OS ( got Win7 64 bit ready),Hard drive ,Speakers,Keyboard,mouse
Preferred Website(s) for Parts: Not fussy any were reputable such as Dabs.com ,

Parts Required: Case,PSU,GPU,CPU,MB,RAM

Parts Preferences: by brand or type : Want Build to last a long time so was looking at i5 3750k and at GTX 570 but SLI adds a bit to MB so maybe il go with ATI
Overclocking: Yes
SLI or Crossfire: Yes

Monitor Resolution: 1080p (Using MAX Win Xp settings atm which is 1680X1050) 22 inch

Additional Comments:Want Adequate cooling out of the box ,PSU adequate for Crossfire/SLI and overclocking,
Thanks for the help

More about : gaming 500 650

April 14, 2012 6:48:20 PM

First of all, I don't have the Pounds symbol, but all of the prices I put are going to be in Pounds. I'll put "$", but the price isn't in dollars... it's in Pounds.

So do you have a monitor? If so, then here's my suggestion:

CPU: i5-3750k - $142
Mobo: ASRock Extreme4 Z77 - $88
PSU: PC Power and Cooling Silencer MK II 750W - $57
GPU: MSI Twin Frozr OC Radeon 7870 - $233
RAM: 4x4GB (16GB) DDR3-1600 1.5v CAS 9 RAM ~ $57
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...
CPU cooler: Hyper 212 Evo - $22
Case: Corsair 400R - $63

Again, this is all in Pounds. So, total, this is going to be $662 Pounds. A bit over... but this is pretty much a great build. I guess you could drop down to a HAF 912 for your case, saving $32 (Pounds, again), and putting you under budget. Also, 16GB of RAM is overkill for gaming, but you put in video editing, so I'm not sure how much video editing you actually do. If you don't do a lot of video editing, you can drop down to 8GB of RAM, saving you $30 (Pounds). So, you could pull this build down to $600 (exactly), and still not sacrifice anything unless you edit a lot of video.
April 14, 2012 7:17:33 PM

2568304,2,1150945 said:
First of all, I don't have the Pounds symbol, but all of the prices I put are going to be in Pounds. I'll put "$", but the price isn't in dollars... it's in Pounds.

Could have copied and pasted it only JKing :pt1cable: 
Thanks for the input And it seems like a good build to answer your questions i do have a monitor so thats fine and i don't do all that much video editing and when i do its only rendering that lets me down AA Cs4 is sometimes rediculious but 8gb is more than enough .Now one question for you :koala:
Where did you source the parts from new egg then convert? because if you did New egg doesn't ship to the UK so ill have to check the prices?
Related resources
April 14, 2012 7:21:56 PM

Yes, those are all newegg prices converted. I did know that newegg doesn't ship to UK, but I don't know any retailers that do ship to the UK. Are you okay with Amazon? Amazon's prices should be close... I'll check and come back to you with that.

April 14, 2012 7:28:21 PM

ddan49 said:
Yes, those are all newegg prices converted. I did know that newegg doesn't ship to UK, but I don't know any retailers that do ship to the UK. Are you okay with Amazon? Amazon's prices should be close... I'll check and come back to you with that.

Or just go on amazon.co.uk Lol yes I'm fine with amazon i have some gift cards i need to redeem and an account
Dabs.co.uk but a bit more expensive due to it been run by BT loll
Scan.co.uk seems to have a good reputation on here
April 14, 2012 7:31:38 PM

Ah... the HAF 912 isn't available on amazon.co.uk... the plus verison is, but then it's pointless. Oh boy... I have no idea what amazon.co.uk is doing... the i5-2500k is $50 (american, 31 Pounds) over what it is supposed to be, so I can only assume that the i5-3750k (if it even reaches amazon this month) is going to be pretty expensive as well. I don't think many people from the UK buy their products from amazon.co.uk, though... some input from a builder in the UK would really be valuable here.

To get the best deals, try this:

1) Go to pcpartpicker.com
2) I don't remember if you NEED to make an account... at the top right, there should be a drop down menu with either United States or UK in it (it might auto-set to US). Set it to UK.
3) Click "System Build"
4) Choose all of your parts
5) It'll find the best deals on new parts, and also shows a price history. It's really useful.

April 14, 2012 7:34:25 PM

Yeah, Scan.co.uk seems to have good deals. Here is the build I'm going to be building (in the US) with UK prices: http://pcpartpicker.com/uk/p/6Ps6

You'll notice first that the total price is only 448 pounds. That's because most of the parts don't seem to be even available in the UK! I mean, the Z77 motherboards are only on newegg as far as I know, but the rest... it's really strange. Try building a build using pcpartpicker... it'll show you what is available in the UK
April 14, 2012 7:37:52 PM

ddan49 said:
Yeah, Scan.co.uk seems to have good deals. Here is the build I'm going to be building (in the US) with UK prices: http://pcpartpicker.com/uk/p/6Ps6

You'll notice first that the total price is only 448 pounds. That's because most of the parts don't seem to be even available in the UK! I mean, the Z77 motherboards are only on newegg as far as I know, but the rest... it's really strange. Try building a build using pcpartpicker... it'll show you what is available in the UK

Doing it now and thanks for the help but is their a search function lol if not its interface is terrible lol
April 14, 2012 7:40:50 PM

Sort of... you can narrow the results down at the right hand side with all sorts of filters. For example, if you want to find the 7850, you could:
1) Go to the right in the video cards section, and for the chipset choose Radeon 7850
or
2) Ctrl+F 7850

Who needs a search function when you've got Ctrl+F?
April 14, 2012 7:43:02 PM

ddan49 said:
Sort of... you can narrow the results down at the right hand side with all sorts of filters. For example, if you want to find the 7850, you could:
1) Go to the right in the video cards section, and for the chipset choose Radeon 7850
or
2) Ctrl+F 7850

Who needs a search function when you've got Ctrl+F?

Good point lol still seem a lot more expensive than new egg tho cheapest 7870 http://pcpartpicker.com/uk/part/sapphire-video-card-111...:( 
April 14, 2012 7:48:05 PM

Yeah... that's if you want a 7870, though. I was talking about a 7850... I wasn't sure if you thought I meant 7870.

It is a lot more expensive than newegg. Is there some way you could possibly ship it from newegg to somewhere that would pack up all the boxes and ship it to the UK? Would that be impractical?
April 14, 2012 7:53:52 PM

ddan49 said:
Yeah... that's if you want a 7870, though. I was talking about a 7850... I wasn't sure if you thought I meant 7870.

It is a lot more expensive than newegg. Is there some way you could possibly ship it from newegg to somewhere that would pack up all the boxes and ship it to the UK? Would that be impractical?

If your specs you said 7870 lol :)  and Bloody customs is hell here so no or i would be paying a lot to them so it would be impratical
April 14, 2012 7:58:49 PM

Oh... oops. Man... that is a LOT more... Er... I don't really know what to say, then. I could check over parts that are available in your area, but besides that, I am not sure how to get you down to your budget...

I think the CPU should be kept. Also, let's not go any lower than a 7850. Z77 mobos aren't sold in the UK atm, so we may go with SB (IB isn't THAT much of an improvement). In that case, you would get i5-2500k and a Z68 motherboard. I am pretty sure a 550W PSU is the lowest you should go for your build. Cases are pretty much up to you. Any RAM is fine as long as it's CAS 9 1.5v or lower DDR3-1600.

April 14, 2012 10:12:22 PM

Thanks for your help iv now got alot to think about due to the price difference any one else got a input with experience from buying in the UK
April 14, 2012 10:48:18 PM

Look at:

Scan.co.uk
aria.co.uk
ebuyer.com

They're your best bets
April 15, 2012 11:27:30 AM

metal orient said:
Look at:

Scan.co.uk
aria.co.uk
ebuyer.com

They're your best bets

Are aria reputable they seem awfully cheap on some products
April 15, 2012 11:45:04 AM

I pretty much always recommend them and i have only heard positive things about them so far. They aren't very cheap but most of their prices just undercut the competition the only problem with them is they don't have as wide a choice of components over the other 2 which is what makes them cheaper i believe.
April 15, 2012 11:46:41 AM

metal orient said:
I pretty much always recommend them and i have only heard positive things about them so far. They aren't very cheap but most of their prices just undercut the competition the only problem with them is they don't have as wide a choice of components over the other 2 which is what makes them cheaper i believe.

Reading up they see to have abysmal customer service so if something goes wrong your screwed
April 15, 2012 1:14:12 PM

Well... generally, you can RMA to the actual manufacturer. At newegg, though, because of customer service, customers will often RMA directly to newegg. If that doesn't work, they'll RMA to the company itself (MSI, Gigabyte, etc.).
April 15, 2012 2:48:21 PM

good Point which ati graphic card manufacturer has best Customer service?
April 15, 2012 2:57:18 PM

I don't really know... I think they are all pretty much okay. I would assume ASUS had nice customer service because they're a really nice company... EVGA? I don't know... sorry :( 
!