MacHooper

Distinguished
Feb 15, 2012
Approximate Purchase Date: (The next few months

Budget Range: £750

System Usage from Most to Least: Gaming (Crysis 2, BF3, EVE Online, SWtOR and other Big games), Video Rendering and Editing, College Work

Parts Not Required: Keyboard, Mouse, Storage Drive, OS, Monitor (Although if the budget allows a new one would be nice if not I will get a new one after the computer)

Preferred Website(s) for Parts: Aria.co.uk and novatech.co.uk although if better prices are found I am willing to use a different site as long as it is trusted

Parts Preferences: Intel Ivy Bridge, Z77 Motherboard

Overclocking: Yes

SLI or Crossfire: Yes in the future

Monitor Resolution: 1920x1080

Additional Comments: just wanted some advice on my new Ivy Bridge build, here is a wishlist with the parts I have chosen any recommendations or advice would be greatly appreciated, I would like to SLI or crossfire in the future and I definitely want to overclock as much as I can. My budget is £750 although I am willing to stretch it a little bit. With these parts I have left about £160 for the processor so I would also like to know which processor is worth getting.
Here is the link to the wishist - https://www.aria.co.uk/WishList/nWQ7BeutloaVQmYDwra67g,,

I already have a 500gb WD Caviar Blue and I already have windows 7

Thanks in advance

Mac

Hey mac and welcome...on the cpu if your not going to over clock it then an i-5 2400 should be fine for your gaming rig. or the the next gen part number that replaces it. it only slightly slower then the unlocked 2500k. I would ask on the uk forums what name brand ps are good over on that side of the pond. there are a lot of cheap ps out there and you need to stay away from them.
if your lucky when they die they just wont power on. the bad ones will pop or burn with a lot of smoke and take out all or a lot of parts with them. or they just cant hold the voltage that there stamp with.

MacHooper

Distinguished
Feb 15, 2012
I have used sandy before and want to try Ivy when it comes out providing I get good evidence on performance for the price, also I think I mentioned it but if not I do plan on overclocking

Thanks

zeeeeeeebra

Distinguished
Feb 6, 2012
The Ivy Bridge 2500k equivilant has a price point of $220 which is £140, add tax and it will come to the same price as 2500k or slightly over.

Check scan.co.uk. Few of your parts are a few quid cheaper there. Like the mobo and cooler.

I'm not sure if you want to wait, but the mid range 6XX cards are probably out soon. The 5XX series, the 580 was released with the 570 a month after, and the 560 a month after that. For gaming you'll probably see more gain in waiting for the mid range 6XX cards.