Sign in with
Your question

Partially build a gaming pc for under £500

Last response: in Systems
March 13, 2012 11:16:58 PM

Help! Basically, I'm due for a serious computer upgrade in the very near future, problem is, I'm on a budget, I'm educated to an extent at the prices, however, don't know enough about them to just spend extreme amounts of cash on them. I'm a gamer, and use alot of 3d programs such as Cinema 4d, and demanding games such as FSX. I want to upgrade, but below a budget. £500 is the maximum I'm willing to spend, even £450 is too much.

I'm looking at an upgrade in the following areas:

CPU
GPU
Motherboard
Ram
Possibly PSU and Case if need be

(Costs as low as possible!)

I've been looking at Intel's i7 2600k a GTX 550 Ti graphics card and 16gb of corsair ram. (All seen on www.aria.co.uk ) However, need to know from what's the best for my needs and best for my budget. I need help in this, I apologize for the lack of detail and description, I'm new to this, I apologize if I've made a right arse of myself by writing this lol! But I need help A.S.A.P!
March 14, 2012 1:22:13 AM

Intel i7 series will do nothing to improve gaming performance, but it will make a difference when you're using Cinema 4D if you're ready to pay the ~50GBP extra for it. It's only worth it if you're using Cinema 4D enough to pay an extra ~50GBP for it.

Same with 16GB RAM, mutadis mutandis...
Choose (Kingston/Corsair/Mushkin Enhanced/G.Skill/etc.) DDR3-1600MHz (preferably 1.5v, but whatever really).

Since you're on a budget, and using your old case (no front panel USB3) you have a choice regarding the motherboard:

Both are solid boards
Either you go with something basic: ASUS P8Z68-V LX
Or you choose future expansion possibility: ASUS P8Z68-V/GEN3 (usb3 internal headers and more rear ports, Intel onboard LAN, more SATA III sockets, PCIe 3.0 support with ivy bridge, onboard bluetooth, among others, might have missed some)

As for the GTX550Ti, it's also a very good choice.

What are you running now?
Related resources
March 14, 2012 2:06:54 PM

Approximate Purchase Date: (Next week, 2 Weeks maximum))

Budget Range: (e.g.: £500/$800)

System Usage from Most to Least Important: (gaming, 3d graphics, sony vegas, cinema 4d etc)

Parts Not Required: (e.g.: keyboard, mouse, monitor, speakers, OS, HDD,soundcard, PSU)

Preferred Website(s) for Parts: ebay,ebuyer,amazon,play.com,aria-pc.co.uk

Parts Preferences: by brand or type (Intel CPU, Any motherboard, Nvidia Graphics card, any type of RAM)

Overclocking: Maybe

SLI or Crossfire: No

Monitor Resolution:1920x1080, 1920x1200)

March 14, 2012 3:15:04 PM

DAMMIT TOM'S. Keeps screwing up and deleting my posts before I submit them. :fou: 

So i think:

Intel 2600K £227
Gigabyte H61 D3V £47
Corsair LP 8GB 1600 C9 £38
ASUS 6850 £99

~£419
All from Aria.co.uk

Did a bit of research, seems like CPU cores and frequency will get the best render times so put in the 2600K.

H61 board because it's hella cheap and has all the amenities you expect from a modern board. Note i chose the 2600K despite choosing an H61 board as it will hold it's value better and upgrading motherboard is a lot cheaper than CPU (and the 2600 is only £3 cheaper).

Don't know how much RAM is recommended but 8GB should be fine?

6850 again is a pretty powerful card and should run FSX, checked about and it looks like it's more CPU reliant than GPU.

You could upgrade to a Z68 board if you want to overclock i'd suggest this one for £84 (you spend £456 if you do this)
https://www.aria.co.uk/SuperSpecials/ASUS+P8Z68-V+LE+In...
March 14, 2012 11:25:22 PM

Thanks guys for the replies, they've been really helpful. I however, need more info. Will I be able to hook up my HDD to this motherboard? Will this motherboard fit in my case? Will the i7 require a cooler?

wdc wd5000aaks-00a7b2 HDD
March 15, 2012 12:21:36 AM

techboi said:
Thanks guys for the replies, they've been really helpful. I however, need more info. Will I be able to hook up my HDD to this motherboard? Will this motherboard fit in my case? Will the i7 require a cooler?

wdc wd5000aaks-00a7b2 HDD

If it's a SATA HDD yes.
If you tell us the case (links would be great) we can tell you.
If you don't overclock it the stock cooler will be fine.
March 15, 2012 12:55:13 AM

I'll get back to you on that one, however, another question has arose, Should I consider upgrading my PSU or keeping as is, it's 500 watt I believe.
March 15, 2012 11:14:50 AM

Well that depends on what PSU and how long you've had it.
March 16, 2012 12:59:02 PM

abou 5 months, it's I believe 500 watt.
March 16, 2012 1:10:01 PM

Make and Model? How much amps are on the 12V line?
!