£5k Build - Fully Watercooled - 5 month project.

cavemandave

Distinguished
Jan 24, 2010
Hey guys :) As the title would suggest I'm looking to build a new gaming rig. I'm spending up to £5k on it over 4 months and I'm looking for advice more than anything. I'm planning on making it fully watercooled, including the motherboard. I want to use compression fittings rather than barbs. I want to keep the watercooling under £1000 (I have never gone beyong corsair's hydro series for watercooling so I have no clue) but I seem to be finding a lot of these EK kits for fairly cheap, however they don't include the x4 video card waterblocks and obviously motherboard waterblocks.

I'll start with the specs I'm planning:

Motherboard: Asus Rampage IV Extreme X79
CPU: Intel Core i7 3930K (6core)
Video Cards: x4 Inno3d GTX 580
RAM: 32GB Corsair Vengeance 1600mhz
Case: Corsair Obsidian 800D
Power Supply: Corsair AX1200 Gold 1200w
SSD: OCZ Vertex 3 480GB

I was thinking of an EK watercooling kit while trying to find EK waterblocks for the video cards also. Also these specs will most likely change as ivy-bridge CPUs are released and nvidia brings out their new 2012 generation of cards. Pretty much all of this hardware is a placeholder to what may be the same level come September 1st.

Let me know if any of this rig is stupid or won't work. Thanks for reading :)

g-unit1111

Titan
Man that will be a crazy system. My main suggestion with the build would be to not get the Vertex 3 as your primary HD/SSD - get the Crucial M4 instead: http://www.scan.co.uk/products/512gb-crucial-realssd-m4-25-sata-6gb-s-ssd-mlc-flash-500mb-s-write-260mb-s-new-version

And check out the Cosmos II over the Obsidian 800D (it will be a better fit for the Rampage IV Extreme) :
http://www.scan.co.uk/products/coolermaster-rc-1000-cosmos-pure-black-v2-silent-aluminum-full-tower-case-w-o-psu

Go with dual 7970's for your video card instead of 4 x 580's - the 2 x 7970 will drastically outperform it:
http://www.scan.co.uk/products/3gb-sapphire-radeon-hd-7970-5500mhz-gddr5-pci-e-30-28nm-gpu-925mhz-2048-cores-dvi-i-hdmi-mini-dp

Ok, you need to repost this in the overclocking W/c subsection and read through the sticky while you wait for the answers to start, because its one of the first things a lot of us in there will scream at you :)
See you over there
Moto

Soda-88

Distinguished
Jun 8, 2011
4-way sli/quadfire is useless outside benchmarks, there's no game on the market that makes use of it (and most likely there never will be), infact most games get confused and use only 1 card if they're to face so many cards, so that's the 1st thing i'd change; also why gtx580 over r7970? radeon generates alot less heat, draws less power and is a better performer

i'd get 2 or 3 7970s and 3960x or even another ssd for raid0 (note that intel is working on RST 11.5 which will support TRIM in raid0), also faster ram because why not

i don't have anything wise to say about watercooling i'm afraid

cavemandave

Distinguished
Jan 24, 2010
Already some great replies! :)

As for the 4 way I'm just doing it pretty much because I have never had a 4-way setup before and I would like to do it for fun :) As with a 580s they are pretty much placeholders for the new Nvidia gen cards, I'm currently rocking x2 HD 6970s and before that it was 2 5870s so fancy a change of scenery on the brands... I'm also assuming Nvidias offering will beat the 7970 seeing as it's going to be released later :)

I'll change my saved basket to reflect the above comments :)