New Build £700 PC for Web Programming

Approximate Purchase Date: This Week

Budget Range: £700 after rebates

System Usage from Most to Least Important: Web Design, Programming, Surfing Internet

Parts Not Required: Keyboard, Mouse, OS

Preferred Website(s) for Parts: amazon.co.uk, ebuyer.com

Parts Preferences: no preference

Overclocking: Maybe

SLI or Crossfire: Maybe

Monitor Resolution: hd resolution via hdmi

Additional Comments: Will be dual booting windows from a HD and Ubuntu from a SSD. Preferrably quiet. Don't think a graphics card is required for my purposes.

Proposed Parts:

Processor - Intel Sandybridge i5-2500K Unlocked Core i5 Quad-Core Processor (3.30GHz, 6MB Cache, Socket 1155)

Motherboard - Asus P8Z68-V LX Motherboard (Socket 1155, DDR3, 2 x PCI Express 2.0 x16, ATX, LucidLogix Virtu)

RAM - Kingston HyperX Genesis DDR3 1600MHz CL9 8GB DIMM Memory Module (Kit of 2)

HD - Seagate ST500DM002 3.5 inch 500GB Hard Drive (Serial-ATA, 6Gb/s, 16Mb, 7200RPM)

SSD - Crucial CT064M4SSD2 64GB M4 SSD

Optical Drive - Sony 24x Internal DVD Rewriter

Monitor - Samsung S24A300H 23.6 inch Widescreen LED Monitor (MEGA DCR, 1920 x 1080 Full HD, 2ms, HDMI/VGA)

Case - Coolermaster CM 690 II Advanced Case

PSU - Coolermaster GX 650W PSU

Current Total - £662.48

Do you think this can be improved?

Thanks
6 answers Last reply
More about build 700 web programming
  1. Hi there, welcome to the forums.

First off, why the 2500k? Will you be overclocking? If not, the lower priced i5-2400 is going to be your best bet. Assuming you need that much horsepower.
    -That monitor is good but I like to see LED backlit displays.
    -I would swap the HDD to this one: http://www.amazon.co.uk/Western-Digital-Caviar-SATAIII-Internal/dp/B00461G3MS/ref=sr_1_1?s=computers&ie=UTF8&qid=1330452051&sr=1-1 Based simply on reviews.
    -DO NOT get that PSU. Coolermaster lies about the output on their PSUs, slapping bigger wattage labels on smaller PSUs. Here's a much cheaper one that will actually supply the wattage it lists. http://www.ebuyer.com/185183-antec-380w-earthwatts-green-psu-ea-380d-green While small, it provides more than enough wattage for your system.
    -Where's your GPU? If you don't plan on getting one the HD2000/3000 on the CPU will suffice.
  2. If you get the i5-2400, you can put the money saved into a second HDD to run RAID-1 to increase your data safety (it looks like you're going to do real work on this system).
    Onboard video may be enough, or you might want something like a cheap HD6450 to accelerate video or use additional displays.
  3. Hmm. Pretty nice build.
    But maybe you can save up a little bit more money so you can buy a GPU. Since it's pretty useful with designing/programming. But it's your choice.

Your build looks good overall. You can also buy your GPU later :)
  4. Thanks for the replies. I ended up changing the case and PSU before buying. Ended up getting:

Case - Corsair Carbide 400R Case

PSU - Corsair TX 650W V2

I intend to overclock in the future so I stuck with the 2500K. I also intend to do get a good GPU in the near future something for around £80-100, any suggestions?

Thanks again.
  5. This 6850 would do a decent job: http://www.ebuyer.com/338547-sapphire-hd-6850-1gb-gddr5-dvi-hdmi-displayport-pci-e-graphics-card-11180-00-20r Keep in mind that if you want to OC your CPU, you should probably invest in a decent CPU cooler. This one is pretty good: http://www.ebuyer.com/288855-coolermaster-hyper-212-evo-rr-212e-16pk-r1
  6. Any 120mm tower cooler will be effective and quiet. I recommend against anything from Crappermaster because, regardless of quality, the company still lies about many of its PSUs (overrated and/or missing claimed protections, as found by competent technical reviews at HardwareSecrets). That is dishonest, and I will not support them.
    I have a Xigmatek Gaia keeping my mildly OCed 970BE around 30C idle.
Ask a new question

Read More

New Build Systems