Sign in with
Your question

First build £530 / $840 budget

Last response: in Systems
February 5, 2012 4:53:14 PM

Hi this is my first PC build so am looking for some advice.
* I game very little and am looking for something that will last 5 years or so.
*A normal usage would be Windows media player, Microsoft word, powerpoint and 5 tabs open in Chrome with some online games running all at once.
*Want to be able to upgrade easily in the future.
* want very quick start-up times as well to SSD recommendations are very welcome.
*Should I wait for Ivy Bridge?
*Will probably be buying from .
Thanks in advance :) 

More about : build 530 840 budget

February 5, 2012 4:57:34 PM

forgot to add the following, sorry.
Monitor res. is 1024x768
No parts prefferences
February 5, 2012 4:59:40 PM

Fill out the form at the top of the forum and also check out aria.co.uk + scan.co.uk, they have ood deals.
Related resources
February 5, 2012 11:12:41 PM

For casual gaming at that resolution I would be tempted to go with a Llano processor. They are quite cheap and the integrated graphics should be good enough for gaming at that resolution. It also means you can just add a card later if you decide you want to game a bit more. The other bonus of not having a graphics card and using the onboard graphics is low noise and power consumption.

Something like this would be pretty nice:

Prices from www.aria.co.uk

AMD A8-3870K - £104.39
8GB Mushkin Silverline - $34.19
MSI A75MA-G55 - £65.94
Crucial m4 128GB - £136.99
Seagate Barracuda 500GB - £59.94
Fractal Design Core 1000 - £29.99
Corsair CX-430 430W - £37.19
Samsung DVD Writer - £14.40

Total: £491.89 inc Delivery

The quad core, 8GB RAM and fast SSD will be really nice for standard desktop stuff and that CPU has the best integrated graphics possible. That should be fine for casual gaming at 1024x768 and as I said, even if you decide it's not good enough in future, you can simply add a graphics card to the system.

Since you only have to worry about cooling one thing (the CPU) and the CPU cooler will be the only thing making any noise, I would be very tempted to put something like the Cooler Master GeminII M4 in the build too. It would give cool temps, peace of mind, an extremely quiet PC and some overclocking headroom.

https://www.aria.co.uk/Products/Components/Cooling/CPU+...
February 6, 2012 5:46:45 PM

Thanks, hadn't considered the llanos before now,
also I forgot to add that I'll also need windows 7 so take £70 ($110) off the budget. Sorry about that, also I use very little hard disc space (current PC on win' XP is taking up 40GB atm including all files and programs.
February 6, 2012 5:51:47 PM

Why don't you get the Pentium G680? It beats the Llano even when overclocked and is only £70.

Pentium G680
Asus P8P67 board, or something cheaper (don't go under £50 for mobos)
Corsair GS600
Radeon 6770
Antec 302
February 7, 2012 2:49:19 PM

thanks, might get an i3 2120 and not add a graphics card until later on if I need one.
Again thanks for the advice really needed some advice that wasn't from a manufacturer telling me I needed more than I did.
How do you close threads or is that a moderator thing?
February 7, 2012 3:10:16 PM

Going on that you game 'very little', and that you mentioned browser-based games, I'm not convinced you need a hugely powerful machine. I'd recommend against a Llano-based system as it may actually have more power than you need. I'd also not get the i3-2120 for the same reason...the G840 CPU should be enough.

I've just put this together on the Scan.co.uk website:

https://secure.scan.co.uk/aspnet/shop/SavedBasket/SendS...

It's a S1155-based system, which means you can upgrade to Ivybridge if you want to (or Sandybridge, for that matter). It won't be amazing at modern games, but at the resolution you're at it may play some older games at lower quality settings. It'll handle broswer-based games fine. The motherboard allows you to add a GPU later on, too.

The SSD is fine for an OS drive and some programs such as Office, and the spindle-based drive will do for bulk storage.

Price also includes Windows...total £438.72.
!