Building a computer £450 (UK)

Tags:
  • Homebuilt
  • Computer
  • Systems
Last response: in Systems
December 10, 2011 6:57:08 PM

Hi all,

I am looking at building a computer which will enable me to play computer games, along with run CPU intensive analysis programs like CFD - I have put together a list of components that i think will work quite well, but i was wondering what anyone else thinks, and if they have any suggestions to improve the build

Approximate Purchase Date: asap

Budget Range: £450 (parts listed below costs £453)

System Usage from Most to Least Important: CFD program, games, DVD's

Parts Not Required: keyboard, mouse, monitor, speakers, OS

Preferred Website(s) for Parts: any

Parts Preferences: Motherboard, CPU, graphics card, PSU, hard drive, Case, DVD drives, Ram

Overclocking: Not essential

SLI or Crossfire: No

Monitor Resolution: 1680x1050 & 1920x1080

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Parts Im Already Considering

Motherboard: ASRock Z68 Pro 3 (£82)

CPU: Intel Core i5 2500 3.3 Ghz Quad Core (£157)

Memory: Corsair XMS3 8GB (2x4GB) DDR3 1333mhz (£30)

Hard Drive: Western Digital Caviar Black 500GB 7200RPM (£48)

Video Card: XFX Radeon HD 5750 1GB GDDR5 (£56)

Power Supply: Corsair Builder Series CX 430 V2 (£32)

Case: Xigmatek Asgard II (£35)

Disc Drive: Samsung DVD RW (£13)

Thank you in advance for any help :) 

Stephen

More about : building computer 450

December 11, 2011 5:57:50 PM

First thought: If you're going with a z68 mobo buy the i5 2500k (overclocking version)
Second thought: CFD - What? I'm not embarrassed to ask. So, it's trading software but it would be helpful to know which one.
Is it cpu intensive enough to need a six core (i7) processor?
December 11, 2011 8:43:39 PM

Thank you for your reply Longpig :) 

Fair point about buying the overclocking version of the processor - I will have a look into it, especially since the prices are so similar

CFD (Computational Fluid Dynamics) - it is a type of Engineering software which calculates a huge number of calculations - I expect some of the simulations that i am likely to run on this sort of build to take a few days - it requires a multi core processor, although I am unsure if it is able to take advantage of 6 cores (I know that it is coded such to take good advantage of duel and quad cores) - but going for the i7 would take me way other budget unless i spend less on other items,,,,

Thank you for your advice :) 
December 11, 2011 8:50:10 PM

Damn. I had two choices, computational fluid dynamics and trading. I backed the loser! (No surprise there)
But the software is the key here - what's it designed for. That will define the processor but an overclocker will help for that workload.
!