All, as always thanks for your help with new builds. I'm looking to address the following for a new video / image editing build, I don't have a lot of experience in this area:
- What is the balance CPU threads vs clock speed?
- What is the balance CPU vs RAM vs GPU?
- Is the GPU selected 550 Ti worth it? Overkill?
- AMD Bulldozer - what is the likely affect of this release, is it worth waiting for?
- ATI 7xxx series - as above
the ram is low for video editing. i use CS5.5 and routinely end up using a good 12GB of my 16 gigs of ram while rendering. the CPU is a bit low as well, i would recommend buying a 6 core as that would greatly increase the speed of your encodings. also you can get 1600mhz ram at the same timings as your 1333 so i would recommend doing this, ram is cheap. when i do video editing i am using 6 screens, having 3+ screens in line with each other makes stretching out the time line of a project so much easier... i would highly highly highly recommend considering this.
the 550ti should be fine, good cuda card. i find that ATI cards are less compatible with editing programs so i prefer to stick with nvidia for such jobs.
screens are last as they are a luxery, the ram is high prioity to have at least 8GB. if your fine with watching your comp usage while working with HD video then 8GB should squeeze you by. the CPU would be a huge boost in power as cs5 will take advantage of the extra 2 cores. keep in mind that AMD is releasing there bulldozer very soon so yo may want to wait to see how that performs and the price drop for current tech.
for video editing the CPU has always done more but now with cuda and ati stream and cs5 supporting both... the GPU is a much more efficient processor for such work. if the programs you plan to use support it then the GPU will be a huge advantage. that said if you get a 550ti thats a very strong GPU for such work. given your build i would buy a 6 core amd before i got a higher end gpu.
- What is the balance CPU threads vs clock speed? Threads more important than clock speed
- What is the balance CPU vs RAM vs GPU? Need at least 8Gb of RAM, then CPU threads, then GPU power
- Is the GPU selected 550 Ti worth it? Overkill? Probably over powerful for the application in relation to the CPU. Question is whether significantly reducing the GPU to squeezed in an i5 is worth it. AMD X6 +£20 for 2.8GHz, +£40 for 3.2GHz; i5 2500k +£70. Differences will probably need to come from GPU / screen
- AMD Bulldozer - what is the likely affect of this release, is it worth waiting for? Worth waiting to see what happens
- ATI 7xxx series - as above Not worth waiting for as NVidia CUDA is better