Status
Not open for further replies.

Fruhstuck

Honorable
Nov 28, 2012
I just bought a brand new Asus VS248 monitor and upon starting up my computer I discovered I had a single dead pixel on the screen. Unfortunately, I turned in the rebate before I noticed the problem and couldn't return the monitor for a new one through the distributor. So, I sent it to Asus under its warranty and found out that they don't include monitors with dead pixels under their warranty unless it's a monitor that has their ZBD "zero bright dot" policy.

Anyways, long story short I have a dead pixel on my monitor and Asus isn't going to do anything about it. Does anyone know what I can do to fix this problem or what can be done? I've already went online and the two common solutions I've found are to press on the screen with a cloth and a blunt object on the dead pixel. I guess that's supposed to revive it somehowand I haven't tried it yet for fear of doing more damage. The other option is to download a program that strobes the dead pixel with different colors till it's fixed.

Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks

Solution
I have heard that pressing on the screen where the stuck pixel is will sometimes unstick it. It would not be a very hard preess and you can give it a light press to begin with and then go slightly harder. I think that by going lightly at first you will get a feeling for how hard you can go. I also would not use any sharp object at all and try it with your finger first.
I have heard that pressing on the screen where the stuck pixel is will sometimes unstick it. It would not be a very hard preess and you can give it a light press to begin with and then go slightly harder. I think that by going lightly at first you will get a feeling for how hard you can go. I also would not use any sharp object at all and try it with your finger first.

Solution
You didn't miss out on anything, you couldn't have exchanged the monitor because of a single dead pixel. I believe you have to have 3+ in the middle area of the screen or 4 total to be able to exchange the monitor. The exact amount varies depending on manufacturer, but 1 dead pixel is never under warranty, unless you bought a special no dead pixel product.

Fruhstuck

Honorable
Nov 28, 2012
Yea, I just found that out looking at the distributers warranty. I think it's really lame though that companies do this. They sell a product and basically say sorry you're screwed when it's their product that's broken. I don't expect to buy something for 200$ish dollars have it deliverd to my house broken and then be told sorry nothing we can do. Shouldn't a company stand by their product? I went online and looked at other companies warranty's and they all generally have the same one.

Also, I tried the press on the screen method and did it lightly. It didn't have an effect. Does anyone know if you have to push really hard? I don't want to break my monitor more.

The alternative is the company charges more for their products to account for no dead pixels. They won't sell with a business model that costs them money. Businesses are there for making profits, just as we work to make money. Anyways, if you want no dead pixels, you may be able to buy some that are sold as guaranteed to be no dead pixels, which I think is something that is done at the retailer, rather than the manufacturer most the time.

As I had stated before the amount of pressing is not very hard and there is some flex to the screen as you go towards the middle. You should not use anything with a point on it and a good thing to use would be the eraser end of a pencil , it's rubber but a fairly hard rubber with some give to it. If pressing it is going to fix it then it's not a very hard pressing that's needed.

Status
Not open for further replies.