herboren

Distinguished
Apr 18, 2011
I have 2 monitors in route that should be here monday, but I will have 3 24" screens total. I was wanting to choose ati for the eyefinity or unless nvidia can do that as well, but mostly for the gaming portion. I was reading what will be best to get the best color from my monitors and that was getting a gpu with a display port. I rly dont know what to get and I am lost on what hardware to get, but I want to set up all three monitors

You can use display port or DVI or a combination of the two. Most new video cards will have two Dvi , a display port and a HDMI. There is no difference in color or any other display options between them and the Display port and HDMI will include sound through the cable where ADVI will not. If you want to go with Nvidia you have to go with the 600 series in order to get the Nvidia 3D surround , there is a short list of models that will do 2D surround and Nvidia is limited to three monitors with the higher models (680,690) doing four monitors.
Amd will do eyefinity with up to five monitors.
Have you set a budget amount for the video card ?

herboren

Distinguished
Apr 18, 2011
I was going to choose between these two cards, will I need two cards or 1 card to get three(3) monitors to work?

ASUS HD7770-DC-1GD5-V2 Radeon HD 7770 GHz Edition 1GB 128-bit GDDR5 PCI Express 3.0 x16 HDCP Ready CrossFireX Support Video ...

ASUS GTX650-DCO-1GD5 GeForce GTX 650 1GB 128-bit GDDR5 PCI Express 3.0 HDCP Ready Video Card

As I had said the AMD cards were good for up to five monitors with eyefinity while the Nvidia cards don't do as well with multiple monitors they will do three and with the GTX 650 you will have to use the two DVI and the HDMI connector.
While you don't need two cards it would be better with two in SLI.

http://www.geforce.com/optimize/guides/how-to-correctly-configure-geforce-gtx-680-surround#2

The AMD 7770 will do the three monitors with any combination of the connection of the two DVI , HDMI and the Display Port.