Secondary display help

crimsonangel

Distinguished
Mar 13, 2010
Hello I currently have a SAMSUNG Series 9 S27B970D monitor and it is absolutely amazing, however I would like to purchase a secondary display. One of the problems I have with the Samsung is when I play the occasional video game I seem to lose track of the mouse cursor allot I assume this is because how large this display is so I would like my secondary monitor to be in the 24 inch range. The second problem I have also relates to video games, it’s when I play a game such as doom 3 or any fps. After about 30-40 min of playing I have a splitting headache and my eyes feel as if they are about to explode. Now I’m not sure if this is just a problem with me or if it can be remedied with let’s say a 120hz monitor. The reason I say this is that I have read from some people who have said that they had the same problem as me when they switched to a 120hz monitor the problem disappeared. Also I’ve noticed when playing games moving objects seem to blur and even text becomes incredibly difficult to read when being moved around. Now I know this monitor wasn’t designed specifically for playing video games and that is not the reason I purchased it, however I would like my secondary monitor to be more video game orientated and possibly address the issues I have with this one related to video games.
The main problem I am having with finding a secondary monitor is that it has allot to step up to compared to my S27B970D. I was going to purchase the BenQ XL2420T, however I read that it had poor colors, also I would prefer glossy over matte finish. I would like to purchase the absolute best monitor that is available which matches the criteria of things I listed above. If money is not an issue what would your recommendations be? Also the graphics card I’m running is an Asus GTX 680 Top edition I’m unsure if I would need to purchase a new card to deal with a second display on top of the S27B970D.

The 680 is capable of running three monitors in Nvidias 3D surround so you won't need a second or different video card. You can get a second video card if you want to and that's totaly u7p to you.

The headache issue can be helped if you enable sync every frame , it will limit you to 60 fps in all games but it will help with the headaches. 60 fps is the max number of fps that your eyes can notice anyways. If you are already playing with sync every frame on now then you should disable it because that's what's causing your headache.

As far as a second monitor goes I'm not sure what you thought is for that because when launching a game it's going to play on your primary monitor so you would have to make the second monitor your primary in order top play a game on it.
If the sync every frame works out you may want to stick with what you have and you won't need a second monitor just for locating the mouse curser.
If you want to get a second monitor then you can look at these.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16824236294

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16824001740

crimsonangel

Distinguished
Mar 13, 2010

i realize the 680 is capeable of running 3 monitors only reason I asked about second graphics card is due to the S27B970D huge resolution of 2560 x 1440 with a second display id assume the 680 may have problems keeping both screens running without a bit of a frame rate drop. vsync has been enabled and disabled (currently enabled) Ive always suffered from headaches when playing fps on the pc even with older monitors. The main reason I wanted a secondary monitor is for more screen real estate. However Id like if the second monitor to solve some of the problems I listed.

Are you intending to play games solely on the second monitor or continue on the one you have. I don't see where you would want to play on both with the second being a 24" and the foirst being a 27". You also don't want to play dual screen because the sight for FPS will be in the bezel and that would even cause me a headache. I'm not entirely sure that the 120hz will solve the headache problem but it's worth a try.
Your GTX 680 what is the ram size ?
I'm running a 30" screen at 2560x1600 and I have two 680s with 4gb each and in Black Opps I am getting 175 to 200 fps , so unless your playing Crysis or BF3 you should not have a problem with frame rate even if you got a second 2560x1440 screen.

Have you thought of limiting the frame rate to 40 fps to see if that helps or 50 fps.