Intel i5. Max £700

Spoon_E11

Distinguished
Jul 22, 2011
After plenty of review reading and time spent looking at a decent build I have come up with this. Does anyone have any recommendations. I am a little reluctant to OC as I will be keeping this build for 5+ years and the lifespan should be long.

I do realise that my mobo does not have a USB 3 header for the USB 3 port on the front of the case. Can I use it like a USB 2 port by using a USB 2 header?

I do think that the wattage of that PSU is fine for my requirements (if you think otherwise let me know), as if I upgrade then I'd rather get a new PSU aswell.

I [strike]don't want[/strike] can't spend more than £700. So if any adjustments come in please take that into account.

Thankyou in advance.

Note: Moved from a different category after it was in the wrong forum. Sorry guys.

If youre not overclocking then P67/2500k/212+ are a bit expensive. If you go H61/2400/Stock Cooler you will free up a lot more cash for a better graphics card such as a GTX 560Ti. Also that PSU is fine for any single card setup except something really power hungry like dual GPU etc. Also, that GPU is very expensive, Aria.co.uk do the better non-SE version for like £10 less.

Spoon_E11

Distinguished
Jul 22, 2011
Those motherboards look really budget. Are there any major performance issues with them?

Will a better GPU increase performance by a significant amount, compared to a CPU?

so if I do this

Would a that be better than an i7?

The computer is going to be used for CS5 editing (PS and Video mainly), new games (SC2/BF3).

Also I should mention I have a mouse and keyboard. PS2 mouse and usb keyboard.

monitor is 1080p widescreen 24" aswell

sorry for lack of info in OP.

If youre doing a lot of editing then an i7 is worth considering but if youre just doing a bit that i5 will be fine. But yeah, if youre not going to overclock then there are very minor differences between the i5-2400 and 2500k. In games that i5-2400 should perform better than a 1st gen i7 but obviously not better than a much more expensive 2nd gen (assuming its with the same graphics.) But yeah that GTX 460 SE is a crippled version of the normal 460 so not recommended on this kind of budget. Even the normal 460 is somewhat of a minimum for someone wanting to max anything nowadays.

With the motherboard, the main differences between H61 and P67 are that with P67 you have Vcore voltage control for better overclocking, better SLI performance and they support faster RAM.

I think youre best sacrificing those few things for MUCH improved graphics performance. i5-2400/H61/GTX 570 will perform a LOT better than i5-2500k/P67/GTX 460SE in games. Especially for a non-overclocker.

Good stuff, if you are wanting to free up any cash to improve and other part of the PC though, a GTX 560Ti would do nicely. Also, the CM GX range of PSU's are ok but i think what he is trying to say is that Antec/Corsair/XFX/Seasonic ones are better and don't cost much more usually.

metal orient

Distinguished
Mar 17, 2011

1. Seasonic OEM as opposed to Seventeam
2. Quieter
3. 5 Year warranty, as opposed to 2 on the CM (although i review i read said it had 5)
3. More cables, although this could be an issue as well.
4. Based on a seasonic design and has better voltage regulation, noise reduction, efficiency etc

Johnny guru did a review of

the XFX 650: scored 9.5
http://www.jonnyguru.com/modules.php?name=NDReviews&op=Story9&reid=216

And the GX750: scored 7
http://www.jonnyguru.com/modules.php?name=NDReviews&op=Story5&reid=188

However i would accept that £15 is a steep difference between them

Spoon_E11

Distinguished
Jul 22, 2011

Im getting the GTX 550 not 750 does it make much of a differnce?