Sign in with
Your question

Looking to build a Music production PC for under £500. Help!

Last response: in Systems
May 10, 2011 12:24:58 PM

Hi, I'm looking to build a good strong PC that will handle music production and some gaming for under £500. Hopefully nearer to the £400 mark, but for an exceptional deal, will stretch it. I'm not very experienced in the matter but would like to order from overclockers. Could anyone suggest a build for me? I'm not sure what components I would need to build a full system, but I'd like it to be a reasonably good build and for less money than it would take to buy a full build ready-made. I'm hoping someone can help me out.

Thanks in advance!

May 10, 2011 2:23:43 PM

Gigabyte GA-870A-UD3 AMD 870 (Socket AM3) DDR3 Motherboard

AMD Phenom II X2 Dual Core 555 3.20GHz Black Edition (Socket AM3) - Retail

Antec High Current Gamer 520W Power Supply

Hitachi Deskstar 5K3000 2TB SATA 6Gb/s 32MB Cache 5900RPM - OEM

Antec 300 Three Hundred Ultimate Gaming Case - Black

Asus Xonar DS 7.1 PCI Sound Card

G.Skill RipJaw 4GB (2x2GB) DDR3 PC3-10666C8 1333MHz Dual Channel Kit

Was looking at these, after further inspection... can anyone see any conflicts, or anything else i need?
July 21, 2011 6:31:00 PM

You'll probably want to go with two (or three) drives instead of one huge drive.

The reason for this is that if you are using any sample libraries, or sample based virtual instruments (e.g. Kontakt, BFD, or similar which can stream large samples from drive instead of them being in ram) you'll want those on a drive separate from where you are recording to so that you can minimize head seeks on the drive being recorded onto.

Also some people feel it's good to have the boot drive separate from your audio data drives, since they are the ones that tend to get screwed up by software drivers, etc. and can need the OS reloaded, and this minimizes risk (and effort) in trying to keep you audio work from getting nuked.

One other thing to take into account is that to get low latency without artifacts and such, it's usually better to as few drivers and other background process running as possible. All it takes is one poorly written driver to cause pops and other unwanted artifacts showing up while recording/mixing/etc. so you might want to dual boot. One setup for games and any non-audio stuff, and the other for audio with as bare an installation as you can get. Oh and be on the lookout for the bloody powersaver crap, turn all that off.

All those are the things that burned me. Good Luck!

BSmeth said:
Gigabyte GA-870A-UD3 AMD 870 (Socket AM3) DDR3 Motherboard

AMD Phenom II X2 Dual Core 555 3.20GHz Black Edition (Socket AM3) - Retail

Antec High Current Gamer 520W Power Supply

Hitachi Deskstar 5K3000 2TB SATA 6Gb/s 32MB Cache 5900RPM - OEM

Antec 300 Three Hundred Ultimate Gaming Case - Black

Asus Xonar DS 7.1 PCI Sound Card

G.Skill RipJaw 4GB (2x2GB) DDR3 PC3-10666C8 1333MHz Dual Channel Kit

Was looking at these, after further inspection... can anyone see any conflicts, or anything else i need?

!