Sign in with
Your question

What to do with £150

Last response: in Systems
Anonymous
a b B Homebuilt system
May 31, 2011 2:21:32 PM

Hello world, i just wanted some peoples advice on what parts i should buy for my computer. Around September, i can afford to buy something for about £150, i don't think i can go over that. Anyway, i was wondering how best to use this money, if i can, to upgrade my pc. I should also specify i use my pc for gaming, so anything that would improve its power/speed would be useful. I will post my specs, and i would appreciate if you guys could suggest what use my £150 should go to. BTW, i live in the UK, so i cant get stuff shipped from american companies as it would cost loads. Thanks for your help in advance, mahfuz.

-AMD phenom X6 hex-core 3.2Ghz
-2x 2gb corsair RAM
-ATI Raedon 5770 graphics card
-Asus motherboard with usb 3.0(i don't know the actual name of MB)
-I have good peripherals, and so wont buy new ones
-Windows 7 home premium

More about : 150

a b B Homebuilt system
May 31, 2011 2:32:19 PM

I'd either a) upgrade to an AMD Bulldozer chip (coming soon)
or b) upgrade your video card (Crossfire 5770s if you have an extra slot, otherwise something like a 6870 or 6950 would be nice).
a b B Homebuilt system
May 31, 2011 5:38:01 PM

I'd hold off on any crossfire ideas until you identify your motherboard model and power supply,
Theres little benefit to be had from crossfiring on a 16/1 board and little better on a 16/4 plate,
I'm not sure why you have a hexcore in there, do you work on the pc, or just game?
and a good solid psu is needed for crossfire/ overclocking
download Cpu-z and post back your mobo's model for us,
and see if you can identify your power supply too
Moto
Related resources
Anonymous
a b B Homebuilt system
May 31, 2011 7:58:51 PM

wow, quick replies, thanks very much. however, id rather not tamper with the processor as I might blow something up while trying to change it :)  As im fairly new to the PC. I got the processor because it came with the bundle, and i didn't want to change it, and yes, i do use this just for gaming, apart from the occasional word document. I looked at the posts already made, are you sure i could upgrade the processor for less than £150?

Here are my specs from the cpu-z thing you recommended.

AMD Phenom II X6
Motherboard: AsusTek M4A77T/USB3.0
RAM: 4096MB DDR3
ATI Raedon HD 5770

I also checked the power supply, it says cooler master 500. Is that what you were looking for?
Sorry if i sound like an idiot, im new to using PCs for gaming as i said.
Anonymous
a b B Homebuilt system
May 31, 2011 8:02:36 PM

jasonw223 said:
I'd either a) upgrade to an AMD Bulldozer chip (coming soon)
or b) upgrade your video card (Crossfire 5770s if you have an extra slot, otherwise something like a 6870 or 6950 would be nice).

thanks for the help, but here in the uk, they cost about £178-230. Although i would like that, seems way over budget, however, im new to Pc building and so i could use some input on if i could crossfire 5770s, as i have one already. You can check my Mobo specs in my other reply somewhere on this page.

a b B Homebuilt system
May 31, 2011 9:31:50 PM

Your board just has a single video card slot, so crossfire is out of the question for now.

So, if you'd like to improve your gaming performance - upgrade your video card (and sell your old one to make up for the difference). I'd suggest an nVidia GTX 560 / 560 Ti, or a Radeon 6950 1gb. A GTX 460 or Radeon 6870 would be the next best.

If you'd like to improve program / loading performance, add in an SSD. They make a huge difference in load times, and overall quickness of a system - but won't help much for gaming.
!