Upgrade (High Spec £450 Budget)

aaronjohnston18

Distinguished
Oct 10, 2009
Hello.

Currently I have a Dual Core PC that isnt very good for games, and I want to upgrade.

I have a budget of £450 and Was hoping to upgrade the following

CPU
RAM
GFX
MOBO
And Probably a new PSU to cope with the new hardware.

I have been looking around and think I can see the following costing around.

motherboards £80 (ebay)
RAM (8GB - £70)
CPU - (£170)
Gfx card - (£99)
£420 so far thats without PSU. so abut £450.

I'm not bang up to date with computer parts, And what I'm after is a bundle of these parts that will all work together.
Quad Core CPU, Decent Enough Mobo, 8GB and probably a £100 Graphics Card (Just the one though).

What would you guys recommend?

Thanks for reading.

Inefficient allocation of parts for max gain/$$ for games

1. Gaming rigs do fine on 2GB but 4GB would be good to go these days

2. Start with as beefy GPU u can buy, a dependable 80+ PSU and work backwards with a set budget as far as gaming is concerned (for best results)^^ Compromise on GPU and games start to crawl real fast down the road

The Game Rundown: Finding CPU/GPU Bottlenecks, Part 2
http://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/game-performance-bottleneck,2738-16.html
Conclusion: A Trend Toward 3+ Cores

The average optimal number of CPU cores suggested by the test results is 2.75, showing a clear trend towards at least three CPU cores.The question of whether the CPU or GPU is most important is easily answered. If you don't have a multi-core CPU, then upgrade it. If you have a dual-core CPU at around 3 GHz, then invest your money into a graphics card, as most games are GPU-limited. This is not something that will change with new DirectX 11 games.

3. Suggested hardware, up to 1920 x 1080 for games and still room to crossfire:

Off Ebuyer UK
Untitled-1485.jpg

HD6K Barts: single/CF review
http://www.anandtech.com/show/3987/amds-radeon-6870-6850-renewing-competition-in-the-midrange-market/8

aaronjohnston18

Distinguished
Oct 10, 2009
Thanks for the information, This is helpful. I was just looking around at parts cost. But I'll remember for games max out the GPU budget first in future.